OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m putting this here because it’s correct....I wish the Pgh media had any insight or desire to ever question Sully

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The silver lining to me with the new third line is that if Zucker and Kap show themselves to make a killer wing combo, Sully will have no choice but to move them up with Sid and move Jake down with Malkin...
the sad part is...we all know where this will ultimately end, its just wasting time and points until it gets from their ass to their head

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
McCann sucks, he is an antidote for any kind of boost that Geno may have had last game...unless his role would be to frantically forecheck and have Geno and Rust play with puck, but thats not his game, he does not pass he i a shooter first and any puck that touches his stick will be the end of the second line shift. I hope I am so wrong, Would rather see Tanev there simple move...and McCann on fourth line carry that line. They have this obsession with McCann what they think he is and they will stick to it to prove themselves right no matter what...
I do like dropping Janko to fourth and minimizing their minutes...the first line is still major, major defensive liability, Sid is not backchecking Jake does not either...it could be a problem

I thought this board generally loved Mccann or am I living in 2018-19 still?

Ahh the once 'prize of the Brassard mess' has fallen among pens fans.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Zucker-Blueger-Kapanen is going to be an absolutely dynamic 3rd line. I know that Kapanen will eventually be promoted to the top-6, but I'd be really interested in seeing a 3rd line based around Zucker and Blueger if Sullivan is adamant about not splitting up Guentzel and Crosby.
He is adamant about not splitting Crosby and ERod. Why are you talking about splitting Guentzel and Crosby??? Yeah, let´s celebrate our 3rd line but I will tell you that TOP6 is gonna SUCK AGAIN. How can anybody be fine with this? Also, Tanev on the 4th line and ERod still in a prominent TOP6 role and 2nd PP unit too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Nah, big backlash after his slump and poor playoffs last year.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I don't understand the correlation between the gif and the issue, BUT you are making me want to re-watch that movie... I hate comic book movies, but I have a soft spot for that movie... I really enjoy it... and the first one =]
The first one was great, especially the beginning, but I didn’t care for the ending, but the second one with Ledger, that was incredible. Didn’t care for the third one as much. Some parts were ok.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Has Malkin played with McCann before? I am pretty terrible at remembering lines

Yes. Here and there. IIRC.

There's nothing wrong with rewarding TB, but just slide down McCann with the others. McCann isn't going to create with Geno. You might even get more out of McCann with Sid.

I don't know anymore. The top two lines are polarizing. Zucker with Sid? Slide Jake over?

The obvious is Kap, but ...

I don't know if so much change was necessary. So now every line is questionable. Though, you'd think Zucker, Blueger, Kapanen should workout great. You messed with the McCann, Jank, Tanev line totally...at Tanev, Jank, Sceviour.

WHY?

I know it was just a morning work flow, I don't mind the TB line, Just a cluster **** otherwise everywhere else.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Zucker-Blueger-Kapanen is going to be an absolutely dynamic 3rd line. I know that Kapanen will eventually be promoted to the top-6, but I'd be really interested in seeing a 3rd line based around Zucker and Blueger if Sullivan is adamant about not splitting up Guentzel and Crosby.
That is a great third line, but it’s at the expense of the first line. It’s robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Also, we paid so much for both in those trades; they can’t be on the third line forever.

Why does Sully hate Sid and Jake so much? Are they next on his must force out of Pittsburgh list?

Has anyone in the media asked Sully about EFraud and his excessive use?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm guessing the idea behind McCann-Malkin-Rust is to simplify things. McCann won't create for Malkin, and that's kinda the point. Zucker and Rust have been trying to do so with mixed results. McCann will gun the puck when he can and try to get it to Malkin or the net front if he can't. It's maybe not the ideal way to run Malkin's line, but it will simplify things, and that usually works well when Malkin's line is so-so.

From some of us..

Yeah, not everyone's changed their mind. But it feels like the majority has.

I have to say that, even as the founder of the trade McCann club, I think people are a little too low on him. And will probably be too high after his next period of hot shooting.

Reactions: KIRK and Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm guessing the idea behind McCann-Malkin-Rust is to simplify things. McCann won't create for Malkin, and that's kinda the point. Zucker and Rust have been trying to do so with mixed results. McCann will gun the puck when he can and try to get it to Malkin or the net front if he can't. It's maybe not the ideal way to run Malkin's line, but it will simplify things, and that usually works well when Malkin's line is so-so.

I have to say that, even as the founder of the trade McCann club, I think people are a little too low on him. And will probably be too high after his next period of hot shooting.

Pretty much. Given what was available and what was traded for this summer, I don’t really see any benefit we would have had letting McCann walk or trading him.

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Can’t speak for others, but I despise MCann (as a player obviously) and pretty much have since he came over.

Never got the love for this guy. He’s a spaz with horse blinders.

Literally needs to have the opposition throw pucks in the net for him to score these days.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pretty much. Given what was available and what was traded for this summer, I don’t really see any benefit we would have had letting McCann walk or trading him.

Yeah, flat cap killed that idea. Best you could do is trade him for a similar player in a different position.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sweet summer child.

Look, there was a clear minute between timestamps on the post, you got your minute.

Yeah, McCann-Malkin-Rust had a few games together last season and worked pretty well.

Worked pretty well for a couple of the games then fell flat offensively, but yes McCann probably is a better, safer fit for the Malkin-Rust combo.

One thing that really fascinates me is what a piece of work Sullivan is in all of this:

He recognizes that Malkin-Rust need a change, and he puts McCann there and then positions Tanev such that it's clear IF the McCann move doesn't work, it will be Tanev-Malkin-Rust in game.

He recognizes that Blueger-Kapanen is a nice combo and augments their LW.

Of course, the only thing that remains untouched in all of this is the one line with the only Penguins forward who has played every game this season and has NO ******* POINTS at 5 on 5. :biglaugh:

EDIT: IF Sully had a ******* clue, which he doesn't, and still wanted to adhere to the 'Jake can't be removed from Sid's wing no matter how inept 5 on 5 my first line has been' line building model, then at least slide Tanev with Jake-Sid (or McCann with Jake-Sid and Tanev with Geno-Rust) and just deal with rolling three lines and being stuck with a 4th line you barely play.

It's when Malkin-Rust get rolling that McCann's limitations become an impediment, something Sully unfortunately is too obtuse to recognize.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Can’t speak for others, but I despise MCann (as a player obviously) and pretty much have since he came over.

Never got the love for this guy. He’s a spaz with horse blinders.

Literally needs to have the opposition throw pucks in the net for him to score these days.

He can shoot hard and skate. Only positives I got for him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Worked pretty well for a couple of the games then fell flat offensively, but yes McCann probably is a better, safer fit for the Malkin-Rust combo.

One thing that really fascinates me is what a piece of work Sullivan is in all of this:

He recognizes that Malkin-Rust need a change, and he puts McCann there and then positions Tanev such that it's clear IF the McCann move doesn't work, it will be Tanev-Malkin-Rust in game.

Of course, the only thing that remains untouched in all of this is the one line with the only Penguins forward who has played every game this season and has NO ******* POINTS at 5 on 5. :biglaugh:

EDIT: IF Sully had a ******* clue, which he doesn't, and still wanted to adhere to the 'Jake can't be removed from Sid's wing no matter how inept 5 on 5 my first line has been' line building model, then at least slide Tanev with Jake-Sid (or McCann with Jake-Sid and Tanev with Geno-Rust) and just deal with rolling three lines and being stuck with a 4th line you barely play.

It's when Malkin-Rust get rolling that McCann's limitations become an impediment, something Sully unfortunately is too obtuse to recognize.

Let’s be honest. I don’t think Sully is dictating L1 and has not been for years.

We saw the lines Sully dictated in 2016 and I’d argue that was the last time. Hornqvist with Sid. Malkin make do with what you got and Kessel last on L3. He said as much in Between the Benches.

Reactions: vodeni and KIRK

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It blows my mind that anyone would be stupid enough to read the dumb shit Josh Yohe writes, let alone pay for it! Hahaha
well that would be me...actually Yohe is the best of all of them...he also is the only one in the entire Pen beats group that has access to GMJR. Actually Yohe's observations since he moved to Athletic are far more right than wrong...he cover a lot if interesting stuff, etc... I even pay for Kingerski who's a total tool but you got to give him credit for his persistence...He was ready to die on JJ's hill just to spite "FANS" now he says stupid things like Zucker had a great last game when everyone else was scratching ther head (Yohe btw caled Zucker's game the worst since he joined Pens), I don't subscribe to DK but he has some active team over there...
in conclusion you may be smart not to pay for their content, some of us may be stupid but thats life..eh

Reactions: TKalltheTime

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

You don't even need to limit a 4th line of Jankowski, Sceviour and AN Other (hell, probs even Rodrigues). That's legit as a 4th line.

Honestly, I don't see anything that Sully's done wrong here other than the 1st line, but unfortunately that's the most important thing here.

edit: re what @Gurglesons said - I mean, Sid having a voice is known, and Guentzel and Zucker being where they are is clearly Sid, but I struggle to believe Sid enjoys playing with Rodrigues. I mean, the evidence is probably more important than my opinion, but I still struggle to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad