OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they were so concerned about Kapanen's ability to get up to speed, I'd just run with:

Zucker-Crosby-Guentzel
McCann-Malkin-Rust
Tanev-Blueger-Kapanen
Sceviour-Jankowksi-Rodriguez

Until you were satisfied with where Kapanen's conditioning was at.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I think its obvious they're throwing shade at Kapanen for being late to camp.

Can't give the new guy the corner office if he comes in late to work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think its obvious they're throwing shade at Kapanen for being late to camp.

Can't give the new guy the corner office if he comes in late to work.

No it's really just Sullivan wanting to ease Kapanen into the lineup and be patient about putting him on the top line.

It wasn't Kapanen's fault he showed up late.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
No it's really just Sullivan wanting to ease Kapanen into the lineup and be patient about putting him on the top line.

Do you have proof it wasn't? I don't but other euros made it here on time. I don't personally care or care that he's not been on the first line.

There's so much desire for Kapanen as a first line winger by our ridiculous fanbase that's he's almost set up to fail. He's not slam dunk top 6. And if he fails at that the fanbase will turn on him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you have proof it wasn't? I don't but other euros made it here on time. I don't personally care or care that he's not been on the first line.

There's so much desire for Kapanen as a first line winger by our ridiculous fanbase that's he's almost set up to fail. He's not slam dunk top 6. And if he fails at that the fanbase will turn on him.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

Easing in is an excuse at this point. He’s an established NHL player and has been one of our best since joining the group.

I wanna know what ERod did to be this prized possession. I like the player but holy balls is he getting overplayed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh if Sullivan was going to insist on a depth forward option to play with Crosby for whatever reason he had, I really don't get why the Penguins didn't just keep Simon over signing Rodrigues.

The team obviously didn't foresee Kapanen's late arrival, sure, but you know Sullivan always had a depth guy he liked playing in an elevated role in case of things like injuries, suspensions and poor play. Why did they pick Rodrigues for that role instead of Simon, who had worked in that role before?

They said at the time they wanted the C option that Rodrigues offered and Simon didn't. With 20/20 hindsight that was a real f***ing stupid reason.

Rodrigues is what people thought Simon, Sheary, and ZAR in the top six were. They got results. You mightn't like watching them, you mightn't think it sustainable or good enough for really good opposition, but they got results as fill-ins. Rodrigues makes things horribly worse.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

edit... someone already posted the info.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Easing in is an excuse at this point. He’s an established NHL player and has been one of our best since joining the group.

I wanna know what ERod did to be this prized possession. I like the player but holy balls is he getting overplayed.
Probably because Sully relates to him, since he was a similar player. Same thing with Dan Bylsma and Craig Adams.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They said at the time they wanted the C option that Rodrigues offered and Simon didn't. With 20/20 hindsight that was a real f***ing stupid reason.

Rodrigues is what people thought Simon, Sheary, and ZAR in the top six were. They got results. You mightn't like watching them, you mightn't think it sustainable or good enough for really good opposition, but they got results as fill-ins. Rodrigues makes things horribly worse.

That's how f***ing bad Rodrigues is. He's making us wish for the days when Simon and Sheary were Sullivan's go-to choice for Crosby's wing.

Reactions: Doogle

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah, even if you take out how Jankowski has done entirely, because I don't think it was easy to predict he would have looked as good as he has in Pittsburgh, that's still a really dumb reason because you still had McCann and Blueger as bottom-6 centers. Hell, Lafferty played a bunch of center too, and I think Sceviour has a little bit of experience at center as well.

Depth centers wasn't a position that the Penguins were lacking at all. They needed a 3C, so unless they thought Rodrigues was a 3C option, I don't get the "we wanted a depth guy who can play center" excuse.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, even if you take out how Jankowski has done entirely, because I don't think it was easy to predict he would have looked as good as he has in Pittsburgh, that's still a really dumb reason because you still had McCann and Blueger as bottom-6 centers. Hell, Lafferty played a bunch of center too, and I think Sceviour has a little bit of experience at center as well.

Depth centers wasn't a position that the Penguins were lacking at all. They needed a 3C, so unless they thought Rodrigues was a 3C option, I don't get the "we wanted a depth guy who can play center" excuse.

I think they did think he could be a 3C option. It kinda made sense to me at the time as a "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" approach but I hadn't really thought through what Rodrigues as first top six call up would look like. The moment I saw it, it stopped making sense. Just a really stupid decision.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Rodriguez or Simon?

dom-simon-fan-club-unisex-lightweight-terry-hoodie.jpg

Reactions: Peat and LOGiK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad