OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I always thought week to week here meant at least a week, but that's still a bummer and if they could pick up a leftie on waivers that'd be ideal.

Just based on play Rodrigues has been better than Rust this season. So I think it’s justifiable.

There’s a few options with Rust and any of them could be the right move. The one I wouldn’t want is for him to be kept with Malkin. You can’t have your 2 most underperforming played on the same line in the top 6.

Rust options:
  1. Move him up with Sid and see if he can get going with 2 guys who are starting to get back some form.
  2. Put him on the 3rd line (I think that’s what will happen).
  3. Scratch him and light a fire under his ass
Gut feeling says to me option 1 is what might work best but I wouldn’t be annoyed if Sully did any of those 3.

I'm not sure Rodrigues has been better than Rust but, in any case, I don't care. Rust could break out any time and win a game more or less single handed when he does. He's a part of PP1, which just had its best game and shouldn't be tampered with. Rodrigues plays a good game and he's a bottom six Simon. The difference there is huge. I find it difficult to encapsulate how bad Rust would have to be before I sat him for a guy like Rodrigues.

Maybe it's to keep guys fresh. IDK. In such a short season with many games it could be smart to keep those 4th line guys fresh.

But if anyone should sit it should be McCann or Erod..

Maybe, but you'd think the guy who's just been playing big 1st minutes would be the guy who needs the rest most if that's the case...

If they do. Rotating doesn’t mean he’s definitely scratched. Scratching him now would be Sullivan playing himself with some weird justification like wanting DOC in and needing Rodrigues in if they think Kapanen isn’t ready for the workload.

As I said to Empo in the last post - wait and see, but the special teams is usually a good sign of where it's going.

And the simplest explanation is that Sully likes him more than we do - more than he should based on recent performances.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I am biased but...

Play POJ with Letang or Marino.

Insulate the third pair. Play Ceci offside, not Ruh. If Ceci cannot, send him back to the pressbox and use someone else.

exactly my thought...why not have one “secure” established vet here playing on each line to help Ceci and POJ....one of each should be with Ruh and Marino...that way our third pair is insulated from being a complete dumpster fire and playing only 10 min a night, which overtaxes the top two pairs

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I am biased but...

Play POJ with Letang or Marino.

Insulate the third pair. Play Ceci offside, not Ruh. If Ceci cannot, send him back to the pressbox and use someone else.

I’m not crazy about throwing him into a top 4 role like that but I won’t say there’s a good option for everyone with what they have. Insulating the rookie to try and set him up for success would be my priority. If he does well then he gets put into the top 4 or at least shifts there. Start him with Ruhwedel on the 3rd pairing, play the hell out of Dumoulin and keep Marino on the right side with whatever crap is left seeing as little time as possible.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I am interested to see POJ. I love his skating. I love his movement. He also looked like he was barely 125lbs and that is tough in the NHL.

He can fumble the puck under pressure like any young D, but preseason last year/this year I liked that he tried to still move the puck up ice and make plays to his forwards when he was in trouble. Didnt always get there but he doesn’t immediately bail out. His movement doesn’t get jittery either.

Obviously the pace of play is gonna increase, but I like the way he tries to play.

Reactions: ColePens

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Sucks for Riikola, who seemed like he was finally locking a spot down.

But thank god Petts is the one week to week. Would’ve thought the opposite. Just happy he didn’t break his clavicle like Jake.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I’m not crazy about throwing him into a top 4 role like that but I won’t say there’s a good option for everyone with what they have. Insulating the rookie to try and set him up for success would be my priority. If he does well then he gets put into the top 4 or at least shifts there. Start him with Ruhwedel on the 3rd pairing, play the hell out of Dumoulin and keep Marino on the right side with whatever crap is left seeing as little time as possible.

The best way to do it is to give him a good partner.

Play him 5v5 with Letang or Marino (mostly Marino). Do not give him PK or PP time or at least VERY little. Give him 15-20 a night with a good partner. Sit him in some situation.

I would not mind him playing with Ruh usually, but with Pettersson AND Riikola out... I do not want Ceci FORCING Marino to his off side AND in a top 4 role.

Reactions: Andy99

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He can fumble the puck under pressure like any young D, but preseason last year/this year I liked that he tried to still move the puck up ice and make plays to his forwards when he was in trouble. Didnt always get there but he doesn’t immediately bail out. His movement doesn’t get jittery either.

Obviously the pace of play is gonna increase, but I like the way he tries to play.

He was the calmest I’ve seen him in the preseason and it helped him with moving the puck. I’m excited for this assuming he doesn’t immediately get hurt.

But thank god Petts is the one week to week. Would’ve thought the opposite. Just happy he didn’t break his clavicle like Jake.

Pettersson is one durable stick figure, tbh. You wouldn’t think it looking at him and by the fact that it’s not like no one ever touches him but he’s durable.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I wonder what the difference is for "week to week" and "longer term". I guess week to week may be like 2-4 weeks, but longer term may be over a month and undetermined?

That’s been my interpretation of Sully code. I can’t remember if he put a cap on longer term with something like “two months” although I think they did use 4-6 months for Jakes shoulder injury

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The best way to do it is to give him a good partner.

Play him 5v5 with Letang or Marino (mostly Marino). Do not give him PK or PP time or at least VERY little. Give him 15-20 a night with a good partner. Sit him in some situation.

I would not mind him playing with Ruh usually, but with Pettersson AND Riikola out... I do not want Ceci FORCING Marino to his off side AND in a top 4 role.

Ruhwedel would be a solid enough partner in a sheltered role, it’s not like putting him with JJ and crossing your fingers. What it sounds like you want is to avoid CC messing with Marino but I’d be leery of messing up POJ out of desperation, then you’re back at CC with the top D prospect being rattled. A good partner doesn’t mean a young player in their first game won’t be overwhelmed with too big a role.

It’s a bad situation (that’s on JR for signing CC) to pick your poison with but I’d say being cautious with POJ is the right choice in the shorter and longer term.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

My only concern is why do all of our players have to be so under weight. POJ is only 161 lbs at 6' 0".

I mean.... Jesus.

Petts at 6'3" 187 lbs
Riikola 6' 189 lbs

You want to know why injuries happen so often against bruising teams.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ruhwedel would be a solid enough partner in a sheltered role, it’s not like putting him with JJ and crossing your fingers. What it sounds like you want is to avoid CC messing with Marino but I’d be leery of messing up POJ out of desperation, then you’re back at CC with the top D prospect being rattled. A good partner doesn’t mean a young player in their first game won’t be overwhelmed with too big a role.

It’s a bad situation (that’s on JR for signing CC) to pick your poison with but I’d say being cautious with POJ is the right choice in the shorter and longer term.

Let's say that we consider that Dumoulin and Letang will get the toughest match ups.

Let's consider that Matheson comes back quickly.

My strategy would be to go:

Dumoulin - Letang
POJ - Marino
Matheson - Ruhwedel

I do not see that as "POJ playing in the top 4". I see it as maximizing our assets.

POJ plays 5v5 with Marino, but is essentially our 6th D. Matheson will get PP2, Ruhwedel will get PK2. POJ might get some PP and some PK if needed, but mostly, he'd get 15 5v5 minutes.

Ruh and Matheson are a good fit. Ruh does not take risks and can handle the puck if needed. He is steady.

Marino and POJ should be a good fit as well.

I do not think my idea requires POJ to play a bigger role than he would with Ruh.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My only concern is why do all of our players have to be so under weight. POJ is only 161 lbs at 6' 0".

I mean.... Jesus.

Petts at 6'3" 187 lbs
Riikola 6' 189 lbs

You want to know why injuries happen so often against bruising teams.

Petts was just because of a dog**** hit.

He gets hit more than anyone in the league and is fine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Let's consider that Matheson comes back quickly.

Matheson is said to be out longer term. Pettersson will be back before him at a guess.

And POJ facing the competition Marino does is a risk and in its way, a bigger role than anyone on the bottom pair regardless of who's on special teams.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I actually didn't even think about the potential impact of POJ being legit on Matheson. I wonder if the Penguins would basically pull a Gudbranson with him if POJ ends up legit. Basically trade him quickly because another young defenseman grabbed a spot.

It would be funny to see Hornqvist traded for Matheson only for Matheson to be swapped for a similar priced forward as Hornqvist. JR's gonna go from turning $40 into $20 into $15 :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Petts was just because of a dog**** hit.

He gets hit more than anyone in the league and is fine

I agree there, but I just have durability issue concerns. A lot of injuries don't always come from hits.

It's just makes it awfully convenient/easy to connect the two. Add in they are soft as butter.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

Boys Buzzing

They're happy the media won't be able to claim they couldn't even score on a Shooter Tutor.

Real talk though, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that tells me all three know they are snakebit, want to shake it asap, and are trying to keep it light in the mean time. I'm fine with that. I'd be way more worried if they weren't acknowledging the struggles.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad