OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I didn't see Malkin phoning it in last night.

Sure, I did on some shifts. But he'll do that on some shifts even on his best nights, because that's what his play style is. He's a guy hunting for the moment to burst into the action and take it over.

But right now - and particularly last night - I'm just seeing a guy whose timing is off and who's frustrated and doubting at himself. Not going for stuff because he's more worried about mucking up and getting out of position. The more he trusts himself and his body, the more he'll be going for it again.
I disagree...many times he wouldn't even swing his stick at the puck if it came near him. I can kind of understand/agree that he is more motivated by the crowd and it is strange, or difficult without the fans. However, he is not some rookie or someone new to the Penguins. As a Pens player, you better be able to get yourself up for a game against the Flyers or the Caps. I will say this in his defense, it can be deceiving when a large player like Geno is coasting or working hard. However, I can't think of many Pens that have looked worse than Geno in the first 4 games. I also don't think I am the only one seeing this, I really think Sully has noticed too. I say this because he played the living spark plug next to Geno for most of the 3rd. If skating beside Tanev can't get you moving, I don't know what can.

I am definitely not writing Geno off, but something/someone needs to light that fire.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I know I'm late to the party but as a guy who has plenty of issues with Sullivan I find the griping re: Kapanen and Erod to be odd.
You don't find it odd that a bonafide #13 forward is playing #2PP mins and amongst the most minutes of any winger on the team?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Maybe Malkin is just 34, rusty and has sustained like a bajillion injuries?

Why does it always have to be "attitude" and "laziness" with this guy despite like 15 years of evidence to the contrary? Change the record, people.

You don't find it odd that a bonafide #13 forward is playing #2PP mins and amongst the most minutes of any winger on the team?

Whatever whatever as far as Erod goes. He's just one of those aggravating players that worms their way into NHL coaches good graces. I'm definitely not here to go to bat for Sullivan. He's a goof.

But I mean it would have been dumb to toss Kap right on Crosby's RW after basically sitting idle and not even having more than one practice with the team under his belt. Kap isn't exactly the kind of player you want to rush into a top six role even under ideal circumstances, TBH. Mixed results there in his career thus far.

Last edited:

RSPens

May 25, 2015

Why does it always have to be "attitude" and "laziness" with this guy despite like 15 years of evidence to the contrary? Change the record, people.

Whatever whatever as far as Erod goes. He's just one of those aggravating players that worms their way into NHL coaches good graces. I'm definitely not here to go to bat for Sullivan. He's a goof.

But I mean it would have been dumb to toss Kap right on Crosby's RW after basically sitting idle and not even having more than one practice with the team under his belt. Kap isn't exactly the kind of player you want to rush into a top six role even under ideal circumstances, TBH. Mixed results there in his career thus far.
I can understand not starting Kapp on the top line. However, after the first period Kapp was the best skating Penguin forward by far. I would have moved him up then, or at least moved him up onto the 2nd PP. Now if Sully made that move and it looked like Kapp was starting to slip a bit, then sure cut the ice time back, but I don't think he would have had an issue.

Oh well, the Pens won, they looked good for at least the 2nd period and Sid looked good in the OT. Can't complain too much when the team gets the win.

Reactions: Bread Man 87

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I can understand not starting Kapp on the top line. However, after the first period Kapp was the best skating Penguin forward by far. I would have moved him up then, or at least moved him up onto the 2nd PP. Now if Sully made that move and it looked like Kapp was starting to slip a bit, then sure cut the ice time back, but I don't think he would have had an issue.

Oh well, the Pens won, they looked good for at least the 2nd period and Sid looked good in the OT. Can't complain too much when the team gets the win.

They won. Hard to argue with what Sullivan did.

In a 4-4 game I can understand being hesitant to throw Kapanen against the top d unit. Also they snuck Kapanen on Malkin and Sid’s line a few times in the 2nd and 3rd.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rodrigues is what people thought Simon was and while I get the interest, the sooner the interest fades the better. But Kapanen not having the fitness for line 1 shifts given how little practice he's had just makes sense.

As for Malkin - well, to be fair, yeah, when he's frustrated he does disengage at times. But at the same time I saw the effort he put into some shifts. As such I'm not happy using the word dogging it. And again, a 34 year old coming off a surgery taking a little longer to find his way back into form than the 20-somethings just makes sense to me.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Kappy did get time with Sid and even Geno I think. Might not of been much but anywho L4 was awesome and helped us win so no issues. I’m sure Kappy will get more minutes but he skated on his own in Europe and had to quarantine so don’t give him too much of a workload yet

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I tend to think this is what it is. They’re just not as close to game speed as they’d normally be to start a season and in a normal season they usually take a game or three to get going. The core being older isn’t going to help them here. Maybe when they get going it’s still not great but right now it’s having to play themselves into real game readiness.

Kessel’s last season was what it looks like when Malkin genuinely gives no f***s and he admitted as much iirc. He has bad tendencies like ignoring linemates when he’s not happy with them, trying to be a one man army and dumb penalties. Right now he just looks sluggish and sloppy, and those aren’t standard Malkin issues unless he’s playing hurt.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Like... I'm furious that Malkin has played the last like 10 games the way he has. But do I think it's because he's some malcontent or that he's "thrown in the towel" or whatever? That's just silly shit. How many times have we been down THAT road only for dude to rub people's nose in it.

No I'm more SAD than anything because this is simply what eventually happens to your sports heroes... they get old and fade away. I'm not dealing with it too great I admit but I am a far sight better than some.

What really gets me are these certain individuals who have been trolling around for 10+ years "calling it" when it comes to Malkin. Hey I guess if you repeat the same tired narrative (HE'S DONE!) long enough time will eventually acquiesce, right? Playing that long, stupid game I see. Some galaxy brain shit right there.

Do any of you in that offending party of people actually think ANYONE is impressed or swayed by that? We know what grinding an axe looks like.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
@Soggy Biscuit Sprong was awful the last two games.

41 point pace bud.

82 point pace on a scoring line.

tenor.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know whether I should make new posts or just copy and paste my old posts until Sullivan removes Rodrigues from Crosby's line permanently and puts Kapanen there.

Because that's essentially going to be my biggest lineup complaint moving forward until it's fixed.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
All this bitching about Kap doesn’t amount to a hill of beans if the defensive structure and goaltending doesn’t get fixed. Unless of course, the idea is to simply outscore your opponents 5-4 or 6-5 or 7-6...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
All this bitching about Kap doesn’t amount to a hill of beans if the defensive structure and goaltending doesn’t get fixed. Unless of course, the idea is to simply outscore your opponents 5-4 or 6-5 or 7-6...

I could live with that.

Unpopular opinion but early regular season defensive playoff-style hockey is like watching paint dry.

Reactions: Mr. T

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I know I'm late to the party but as a guy who has plenty of issues with Sullivan I find the griping re: Kapanen and Erod to be odd.
I think you would feel differently if we lost the game. Was KK not ready or was it Sullivan awarding a taxi squad quality player because he tries really hard?

An exhausted KK is far better than ERod.

Let’s just hope KK starts the next game in the top 6 so we can end this charade. Hell, put him on the third line if you want to ease the guy in more, and more Tanev or McCann up.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think you would feel differently if we lost the game. Was KK not ready or was it Sullivan awarding a taxi squad quality player because he tries really hard?

An exhausted KK is far better than ERod.

Let’s just hope KK starts the next game in the top 6 so we can end this charade. Hell, put him on the third line if you want to ease the guy in more.

I'll actually maybe give him a game or two to see.

There are enough issues without inventing new ones.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I didn’t like Kap’s lack of playing time but whatever. In hindsight it’s the correct call as they won the game.

Somewhat related, going forward I’d hope he’s a go to guy in the 3v3.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
These guys are pros and it’s not “supposed” to even factor in. But it’s got to suck early in a shortened season to play back to back games vs the caps where you know you can win but you’re going to sustain a real hammering from bigger meaner dudes.

I’m in no way advocating for an enforcer, or a useless goon. Please spare that response.

sometimes the team just seems to disengage when the going gets tough. We certainly don’t have any physical pushback (one physical player isn’t really an equalizer) They know they’re outgunned in this aspect of the game. Hell I’m usually just waiting to see how many players make it through to the end when we play the caps.

it’s a flaw of the roster that we have like 9 of 12 forwards who all play the same game. A fighter won’t change it. A line or two who thrive in a physical game does.

most recent cup winners have a strong balance of skill, speed, size, and bolz. They aren’t deficient in any style of game other than “getting to their game”. Probably my biggest concern and frustration. We soff

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'll actually maybe give him a game or to to see.

There are enough issues without inventing new ones.
Play him on the third line then and move up Tanev or McCann. The third line hasn’t scored over the last 2 games and we’ve won, so it’s okay to disrupt any chemistry to avoid having an ineffective first line.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Play him on the third line then and move up Tanev or McCann. The third line hasn’t scored over the last 2 games and we’ve won, so it’s okay to disrupt any chemistry to avoid having an ineffective first line.

Did you know Kappy had some shifts with Sid & Geno?

Wait a week before complaining because he would have been very underdone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad