OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What were the lines at the end of the game yesterday? Seemed liked those helped a bit.

Tanev with Malkin, Rust with Jankowski, 1st and 4th untouched although Kapanen got a little time with Sid. Did seem to help both Malkin and Rust, although not huge amounts, and I think Malkin's more a case of getting into the groove of things anyway.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Tanev with Malkin, Rust with Jankowski, 1st and 4th untouched although Kapanen got a little time with Sid. Did seem to help both Malkin and Rust, although not huge amounts, and I think Malkin's more a case of getting into the groove of things anyway.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm happy he scored...good for the team, good for the powerplay. However Malkin has phoned in basically every shift so far this season. The puck will be a foot away from him and he won't even try to get it. I'm sure at some point he will pull his head out of his rear and start actually putting some effort in, but so far he has been pathetic. I get it, he's big, has a lot of skill, can fire the puck, can move when he wants to...but absolutely no effort so far.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Malkin looks old and stiff to me, not that he’s dogging it. Guy is 34 now and has played barely any hockey since last year. It’ll take a bit.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I see my boy Teddy had a nice game:nod:

I don't think people give enough credit to CDS and TB's awareness of the situation. 99/100 times on a 5 on 3, going up the middle and leaving the zone early would be a devastating risk. When you flip a puck high, so many things can go wrong. The puck can flub. The puck can not go as high as you want. It can go too high. That's why the glass/out is a safer play.

But those 2 being connected to understand the scenario was tremendous. Being down and needing a goal badly, the pass, the cut out of the zone... that play was executed to PERFECTION. Perfection. And the fact they both were on the same page was remarkable because it's a timing play to get behind the defense like that.

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
Zucker - Sid - Kap
Jake - Geno - Tanev
McCann - Jank - Rust
Scevior - Blue - Erod

That wasn't hard. Why does sully make it so difficult? Yea the penguins blow sausage right now, but sully isn't putting them in the best position to succeed either.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I'm not so sure about that. I'm happy he scored...good for the team, good for the powerplay. However Malkin has phoned in basically every shift so far this season. The puck will be a foot away from him and he won't even try to get it. I'm sure at some point he will pull his head out of his rear and start actually putting some effort in, but so far he has been pathetic. I get it, he's big, has a lot of skill, can fire the puck, can move when he wants to...but absolutely no effort so far.
I wonder how much playing in front of fans matters to some of these guys. Geno really hams it up and celebrates a lot when there are fans. He seems disinterested a bit so far.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Zucker - Sid - Kap
Jake - Geno - Tanev
McCann - Jank - Rust
Scevior - Blue - Erod

That wasn't hard. Why does sully make it so difficult? Yea the penguins blow sausage right now, but sully isn't putting them in the best position to succeed either.

Jake and Sid are starting to play well together. Malkin has to show something first especially if the other lines are doing well. Yeah I'd say move Rust away from him because they are both off but I wouldn't do too much because I think Malkin's problems are just his own right now and he needs to show some consistency first. You can see even unpressured puck fumbles which is very un-Malkin like, maybe he really needed a full preseason to get into the groove

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I wonder how much playing in front of fans matters to some of these guys. Geno really hams it up and celebrates a lot when there are fans. He seems disinterested a bit so far.
i was just going to post this.....Geno feeds off the fans so i think that i a part of it.imo

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
Zucker - Sid - Kap
Jake - Geno - Tanev
McCann - Jank - Rust
Scevior - Blue - Erod

Like someone stated before, the only way Crosby and Jake aren't playing together, is if one of them is hurt.

No idea why it took so long for Kap to move up and get some play in the top 6. It was evident from his first couple shifts that he belongs there. E-Rod doesn't belong in the top 6.

Jake - Crosby - Kap
Zucker - Malkin - Tanev

At least try these lines for an entire game or 2 before Sully throws E-Rod back in there

Reactions: Darren McCord

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Tanev in the top 6 is nonsense.

The reason why Zucker, Malkin and Rust does not work is because Rust and Zucker play the same role.

Zucker - Crosby - Kapanen
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust

That's the way to go.

Right now it’s more to do with the fact that 2/3rds of that line is playing like ass.

If they all play well I don’t see why it can’t work.

EDIT:
Personally I’d go
Zucker-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kappy

But I wouldn’t change lines too much right now since 75% of our lines have shown some good stuff more than not now.

I don’t think Sid is giving up Jake anytime soon though so................

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Right now it’s more to do with the fact that 2/3rds of that line is playing like ass.

If they all play well I don’t see why it can’t work.

Malkin always was at his best with a sniper and a puck retriever.

Neal-Kunitz, Malone-Sykora, Guentzel-Rust.

That's the formula.

Malkin looks like ass because he is old, rusty and do not have the optimal formula around him.

Rust looks like ass because he is asked to play a role not suited for him (being the scorer on the line). Do not get me wrong, Rust can score, but he cannot be the scorer on a line. He needs to get dirty and use his speed off the rush. Zucker plays the same way.

We know Guentzel - Malkin - Rust works. We also know that Sid likes playing with Rust; Zucker is a similar player so Sid should like him. Kapanen is a smart player who reads the play well. Sid usually loves those.

I mean, that is what makes the most sense. Tanev was a nice temporary boost because he brings energy and will to the line, but long term, it is stupid on many levels. I do not mind the adjustment in-game, but as a permanent solution, nah.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Malkin always was at his best with a sniper and a puck retriever.

Neal-Kunitz, Malone-Sykora, Guentzel-Rust.

That's the formula.

Malkin looks like ass because he is old, rusty and do not have the optimal formula around him.

Rust looks like ass because he is asked to play a role not suited for him (being the scorer on the line). Do not get me wrong, Rust can score, but he cannot be the scorer on a line. He needs to get dirty and use his speed off the rush. Zucker plays the same way.

We know Guentzel - Malkin - Rust works. We also know that Sid likes playing with Rust; Zucker is a similar player so Sid should like him. Kapanen is a smart player who reads the play well. Sid usually loves those.

I mean, that is what makes the most sense. Tanev was a nice temporary boost because he brings energy and will to the line, but long term, it is stupid on many levels.

Things change too. Malkin had one of his best seasons in a long time with Hagelin & Hornqvist too.

Malkins problem right now is Malkin. It doesn’t take linemates not to fumble pucks with no pressure

I edited my previous post and added to it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Things change too. Malkin had one of his best seasons in a long time with Hagelin & Hornqvist too.

Malkins problem right now is Malkin. It doesn’t take linemates not to fumble pucks with no pressure

I edited my previous post and added to it.

Malkin could produce with anyone, true. He could because he could take over games by himself. I do not think he can anymore.

I mean, he won a Conn Smythe (the most dominant CS since Mario) playing with Talbot and Fedotenko!

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Malkin could produce with anyone, true. He could because he could take over games by himself. I do not think he can anymore.

I mean, he won a Conn Smythe (the most dominant CS since Mario) playing with Talbot and Fedotenko!

I didn’t see that with HGH. Hags & Hornqvist went nuts forechecking and were able to get Malkin the puck in 1-1 situations which is favourable for him (or sometimes he’d sneak in unchecked).

He stayed healthy too because he stayed out of the hard stuff more often and had better shots at goal.

I’m not too fussed who he’s with but he just needs to be better. I don’t think it’s linemates as much as his own form. Although I’d get Rust away because he’s just bad right now as well

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I didn’t see that with HGH. Hags & Hornqvist went nuts forechecking and were able to get Malkin the puck in 1-1 situations which is favourable for him (or sometimes he’d sneak in unchecked).

He stayed healthy too because he stayed out of the hard stuff more often and had better shots at goal.

I’m not too fussed who he’s with but he just needs to be better. I don’t think it’s linemates as much as his own form. Although I’d get Rust away because he’s just bad right now as well

I can live with that.

Try:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker - Malkin - Kapanen

Not my ideal configuration at all, but it shakes things up and the guys that should be in the top 6 will be. Sid will also be VERY happy to get his two favourites.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust was the most destructive Malkin line until GMR, and the McCann-Rust variant we saw last year as well had solid numbers too. As such, I'm suspicious of the idea he can't play with two similar speedsters. Particularly as the chemistry looks there in training camp... and all of a sudden disappears at full speed in sections of play where Malkin looks ass an individual in his own right.

Also, Rust's shot numbers in ZMR speak very much to what I've seen/what others have pointed at as the bad tendency in top six Rust and that's not a guy trying to be a goalscorer because he's not shooting, but a guy trying to be a playmaker. Rust should be shooting and grinding, not trying to force passes beyond his skillset.

I didn't see Malkin phoning it in last night.

Sure, I did on some shifts. But he'll do that on some shifts even on his best nights, because that's what his play style is. He's a guy hunting for the moment to burst into the action and take it over.

But right now - and particularly last night - I'm just seeing a guy whose timing is off and who's frustrated and doubting at himself. Not going for stuff because he's more worried about mucking up and getting out of position. The more he trusts himself and his body, the more he'll be going for it again.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know I'm late to the party but as a guy who has plenty of issues with Sullivan I find the griping re: Kapanen and Erod to be odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad