Proposal: NYR-STL(Shatty)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Why is every Rangers fan fixated on this notion that Shattenkirk would only be a rental for them?

- He *wants* to be in NY.
- The Blues are permitting potential trade partners to discuss a new deal.
- You will have no issue protecting him in the expansion draft.
- It's expected that any trade for Shattenkirk would be contingent on a new deal being in place, or at least agreed upon in principle.
- There are ample reasons for and against trading for him. His contract status, assuming you would deal a roster player or players with comparable cap hit, should not be a concern.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
I like how Shattenkirk is just going to sign with the Rangers after next season without them having to give up any assets for him while simultaneously being a rental in the case that they trade for him.

It's not that - it's the idea with risk reward - weighing having to give young assets (something this team cannot afford to do) vs making a run at him if he makes it to UFA

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's not that - it's the idea with risk reward - weighing having to give young assets (something this team cannot afford to do) vs making a run at him if he makes it to UFA

The Rangers seem to be in limbo. Lundqvist is signed for 5 more years @ 8.5. I can't see them rebuilding or doing a major retool as long as they have Lundqvist. i bet Hitchcock would be drooling over the thought of Nash as a Blue. If the deal winds up being Nash for Shattenkirk it seems like the Rangers are adding. They can't afford to give up a high end prospect. They need to keep draft picks as they're pool is fairly shallow. I could see a deal getting done but the two teams don't seem as good of trade partners as the Blues do with some other teams.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As Kirk said, I'm a Blues fan.

Shattenkirk > Kreider
Jaskin > Tambellini
2nd > nothing

We lose everywhere.

And to stem the Jaskin > Tambellini argument, when Jaskin was Tambelini's age in in the AHL, Jaskin put up 29 points in 42 games compared to Tambellini's 32 in 74 (hardly tearing it up). Finally, Jaskin plays a much better 2-way game. So, NHL experience, better AHL pedigree, and better 2-way play. I'll take Jaskin 10 times out of 10.

bold is not a given and clearly it is a no for a rental...

Yeah you are full of it. Stepan is part of the core. Whether you like it or not he's not going to be moved.

No, Bern, the Rangers are certain NOT to trade Stepan. They could trade Stepan OR Brassard--not both. They chose. You don't like Stepan. As such, you make up interesting theories on why you think the team agrees with you. I can pretty much assure you that the team doesn't agree with you.

Yes, Stepan has a NMC that kicks in next year. He has it because he's a 25 year old #1 center who also does yeoman's work shutting down the opposition's top lines. He's a bargain and will be part of the new leadership group. He's going nowhere.

In two years, Kreider's NTC kicks in. Do we need to trade him before then? If your answer (as it surely will be) is no, then you need to step back and realize that you are letting your own fan bias (pro for Kreider and con for Stepan) impact your posts. That's fine. We all have favorite players. But you've got to stop acting as if your biases are based on logic and fact, because they aren't.

IF the Rangers make another move, it will almost certainly be situated around players like Nash and Klein (though I think both will have more value closer to the trade deadline). If fortune smiles on us, we might find a taker for G and Staal (though I think they can bounce back under a new coach).

guys we agree to disagree

bold: there is no bias
I am on record, it is ok to trade CK
IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF
there is to good a deal to pass up, which is a fair and righteous position given FACTUAL REALITY of supply and demand, and # of guys who can provide a COMBO of BOTH speed and size/strength who are readily available is minimum
also said ok for fair value if he is part of a package for an elite

as to end of his deal, we will see if I am still of the OPINION that Kreider is worth more to us to keep than (as may be reasonably expected) in trade

Can't say the same thing about Stepan
he is a solid contributor, -- opinion based on fact
but has plateaued -- opinion based on fact
he will not help us dominate -- opinion based on fact, so much so it leans to being fact

if we get one team that will pay top dollar for the 20th best C, approx, in the league, you do that, take the profit.

But what I said about the NMC is a FACT
An opinion that ignores that as a problem for Rangers is an opinion contrarian to FACT

I think we move him to Canes for D help

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF
there is to good a deal to pass up, which is a fair and righteous position given FACTUAL REALITY of supply and demand, and # of guys who can provide a COMBO of BOTH speed and size/strength who are readily available is minimum

When you say a player is available for the right value, but you place that value somewhere in the realm of a prime Gretzky +++, then you don't really believe that the player is available.

as to end of his deal, we will see if I am still of the OPINION that Kreider is worth more to us to keep than (as may be reasonably expected) in trade

I don't disagree with you here. Kreider hasn't lived up to his talent. Selling him now isn't worth what the team might get by just being a bit more patient with him. Callahan, Dubinsky, and a lot of players around the league made strides as they hit their mid-20s. No reason Kreider can't as well.

he will not help us dominate -- opinion based on fact, so much so it leans to being fact

None of this is based on fact. He's our best center--that's a fact. He's a lower-tier first line center--that's a fact. He's PAID as a lower tier first line center--also a fact. His salary and contract are not a problem.

This absurd notion you have that he has plateaued is just that--absurd. When you argue that one player has "plateaued" and is part of the veteran crowd and that another player has endless upside and is part of the "young core" when those two players are less than a year apart in age, your bias is showing. Kreider is valuable. He has the potential to be more valuable than Stepan, but has yet to show it. Stepan is infinitely more valuable than Kreider. He plays the more valuable position. He's on the ice in tougher situations.

And just to anticipate your standard follow-up here, yes, I'm aware that Kreider has been in a lot of proposals on this forum. That's for two reasons. 1- He was an RFA and EVERY RFA shows up in trade proposals on here. 2- People seemed to think that he would be available. Him showing up in proposals isn't a sign that the entire league is salivating over Kreider, but rather a sign that fans of other teams thought the Rangers and their fans might be souring on a player who has had more potential than production for a while now.

if we get one team that will pay top dollar for the 20th best C, approx, in the league, you do that, take the profit.

But that's not what you do. Look to this very thread. You brought Stepan up as a trade piece for a rental defenseman who is already a couple of years older than Stepan and within a year will be more expensive than Stepan. You don't like Stepan. You haven't since the day he made the team. I have no idea why, but it's patently obvious. Own up to it rather than trying to pretend that your dislike is based on "righteousness."

An opinion that ignores that as a problem for Rangers is an opinion contrarian to FACT

No, it isn't a fact. It's your belief that any player on the team who you don't like that has a NMC or NTC needs to be traded immediately. You ignore the fact that we only have two top 6 centers and one of them isn't all that proven yet.

Right. Of course we are. And who will play top line center. Zib? Quick way to destroy a kid by throwing him to the wolves. Hayes? He couldn't even lock down the 3rd line center role last year--oh, but I forgot, he's tall.

You seem like a good natured dude, Bern, but you throw your opinion out there as fact--often in an insulting tone--and it gets old after awhile.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
Question for Blues fan: *I obviously don't follow the Blues, but a friend of mine and I had a debate on who the most important player on the Blues was. My friend said Backes (before he signed w/ Boston), I said Alex Steen and I still believe he's the heartbeat of the Blues. Am curious whos the most important forward, considering AP is the most important defenseman

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Question for Blues fan: *I obviously don't follow the Blues, but a friend of mine and I had a debate on who the most important player on the Blues was. My friend said Backes (before he signed w/ Boston), I said Alex Steen and I still believe he's the heartbeat of the Blues. Am curious whos the most important forward, considering AP is the most important defenseman

In terms of on ice impact; it's Tarasenko by a country mile(40 goal scorers tend to do that).

In terms of leadership/off-ice impact; it was Backes but there was a group behind him that really added to our identity. That group being Steen, Stastny, Berglund and Schwartz. Steen would probably be seen as the "leader" of that group right now but all 4 really have a stabilizing effect when they are in the lineup.

kiwidevil

Blues main goal is to get over the hump in the playoffs.

Therefore, the last thing the Blues need, is Rick Nash.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

You do realize that Shattenkirk has scored more points than Kreider in 2 of the 3 seasons Kreider has played. The only season Kreider outscored him, Shattenkirk missed a quarter of the season, and it was close. Shatty had 44 in 56 vs Kreider having 46 in 80. Kreider is 25 now. There is not much room left for him to improve. 40+ point RHD are rare. 40 point wingers are not. Shatty has more value than Kreider, even as a rental. You may not want to trade him, or give up any assets for Shattnekirk for whatever reason. But that doesn't change their value.

Shattenkrik could have gotten Taylor Hall if he would have signed in Edmonton, or if the Blues added (but Shatty would have been the main piece). Kreider as the main piece does not get you a whiff of Taylor Hall.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Steen can't play a full 82 games. Nash is also coming off the worst season of his career. They are about even players. Different players, but probably even players.

We don't even need Steen.

You could make it Nash+Klein for Shattenkirk, and thats probably a fair trade, although Blues fans might not think the trade makes sense. The value is fair though.

Steen is better, cheaper, and can play centre. Nash really doesn't have anything except the goal scoring edge.

DaBo

Jul 16, 2002
Du Bois, Illinois
Visit site
Have I missed some change in looking at players?

Since when is a player in their last year of a contract deemed a 'rental?'

A rental is someone you acquire at the deadline in the last year of their contract without the expectation of resigning them.

Whoever Shattenkirk plays for this year will get a FULL year out of him. Hardly a rental. Does it diminish his value, certainly, but he is definitely NOT a rental.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You do realize that Shattenkirk has scored more points than Kreider in 2 of the 3 seasons Kreider has played. The only season Kreider outscored him, Shattenkirk missed a quarter of the season, and it was close. Shatty had 44 in 56 vs Kreider having 46 in 80. Kreider is 25 now. There is not much room left for him to improve. 40+ point RHD are rare. 40 point wingers are not. Shatty has more value than Kreider, even as a rental. You may not want to trade him, or give up any assets for Shattnekirk for whatever reason. But that doesn't change their value.

Shattenkrik could have gotten Taylor Hall if he would have signed in Edmonton, or if the Blues added (but Shatty would have been the main piece). Kreider as the main piece does not get you a whiff of Taylor Hall.

There is no denial with most of what you say. Clearly the numbers speak for themselves.
However, while Shattenkirk has not 'plateaued' and is certainly capable of having a monster career year with still higher totals, he does appear to have hit the fullness of his potential basically realized. Kreider, like several other PFs are taking a while to hit full stride. I'm also not a fan of AV and I get the feeling he is part of the problem, not the solution, holding back not only Kreider but also Miller, McIlrath etc.

So I amend my remarks to clarify:
yes, what has been shown to date, yes Shatty is better
but
there is a considerable possibility of greater degree of upside to Kreider and that side of the equation may make someone consider choosing Kreider

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Have I missed some change in looking at players?

Since when is a player in their last year of a contract deemed a 'rental?'

A rental is someone you acquire at the deadline in the last year of their contract without the expectation of resigning them.

Whoever Shattenkirk plays for this year will get a FULL year out of him. Hardly a rental. Does it diminish his value, certainly, but he is definitely NOT a rental.

Shattenkirk has been a 'rental' on HF since 2015.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why is every Rangers fan fixated on this notion that Shattenkirk would only be a rental for them?

- It's expected that any trade for Shattenkirk would be contingent on a new deal being in place, or at least agreed upon in principle.
- There are ample reasons for and against trading for him. His contract status, assuming you would deal a roster player or players with comparable cap hit, should not be a concern.

Until we know he's not a rental, which would require an extension agreed upon before the trade is made with an agreement that an extension will be signed right after the trade, he has to be treated as a rental.

Also, a lot of sources have said that Shattenkirk wants to play for the Rangers. If thats true, why would we give up a lot for one year of Shattenkirk, especially considering we probably aren't contenders this season even with Shattenkirk?

Thats why it has to be balanced that Shattenkirk is right now a rental and there's a good chance we will have the chance to sign him as a UFA.

As Ranger fans have said, that balance is Rick Nash (50%) retained + Kevin Klein. Thats some pretty good value. We'd probably be asking for a 1st+top prospect for Nash at 50% retained and a late first or early second for Klein. Those are two good hockey players. If thats not enough, we don't need to make a trade. Don't ask for McDonagh, Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Skjei, Buchnevich. We don't want to trade those players for Shattenkirk.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers seem to be in limbo. Lundqvist is signed for 5 more years @ 8.5. I can't see them rebuilding or doing a major retool as long as they have Lundqvist. i bet Hitchcock would be drooling over the thought of Nash as a Blue. If the deal winds up being Nash for Shattenkirk it seems like the Rangers are adding. They can't afford to give up a high end prospect. They need to keep draft picks as they're pool is fairly shallow. I could see a deal getting done but the two teams don't seem as good of trade partners as the Blues do with some other teams.

Lundqvist should have absolutely no bearing on moves the team makes, and I think the Brassard deal proves that Gorton has that mindset. If you asked most Ranger fans, I think you'd find that most of us want Lundqvist traded. His cap hit will probably be one of the worst in the NHL in a few seasons, and he could keep us from completely tanking because he's good enough to win a lot of games pretty much on his own.

Most of our fans and I think our GM look at our team, and want to rebuild. If Lundqvist doesn't want to go along with that, he should ask for a trade. The team doesn't owe anything to him.

We can trade you Nash at 50% + Klein for Shattenkirk. Don't ask for young roster players or futures. The Rangers should be rebuilding.

Group Chat Legend*

so Rangers get the two best players in the deal?

talk about a rip off. St Louis hangs up

Group Chat Legend*

he *wants* to be near home, which is Connecticut

there are other states near Connecticut besides New York

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

Shatty is definetly better than Kreider. He had more points than him this season and he is a defensemen....

Group Chat Legend*

Actually, he grew up a Rangers fan in New Rochelle, which is like 20 miles from MSG.

that wont make any difference.

and im a bit curious why he would want to even go to NY when they have no idea who will take Lundvists' spot when he is gone.

if anything teams like Philly and NJ are better destinations for him, if he wants to get paid and win before he is 35

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

When you say a player is available for the right value, but you place that value somewhere in the realm of a prime Gretzky +++, then you don't really believe that the player is available.
It is supply and demand.
I don't think we give CK for a Vatanen when we can do a Zuc instead.

I would otherwise say Kreider + for MacKinnon, except the point is to try and unite the two on a dominant line. Swapping one for the other defeats that. Would not say no, but again, try to maximize pieces so you can dominate.

I don't disagree with you here. Kreider hasn't lived up to his talent. Selling him now isn't worth what the team might get by just being a bit more patient with him. Callahan, Dubinsky, and a lot of players around the league made strides as they hit their mid-20s. No reason Kreider can't as well.

None of this is based on fact.
Let's see.

He's our best center--that's a fact.
It's an opinion that is well supported, but not unanimously, by the facts.
A case could have been made for Brassard, and Zibby is a potentially, if not actually, better version of Brassard.

So again, being subjective it is opinion, I'll say Zib.

He's a lower-tier first line center--that's a fact.
I said he is like 20th best, ballpark.
We agree.
Again that statement is subjective opinion, but facts open to interpretation tend to support.

He's PAID as a lower tier first line center--also a fact. His salary and contract are not a problem.
He's getting top dollar now, but long term will be great value, possibly a bargain.
However, salary is not in a vacuum.
There are only so many big ticket amounts we can give out, and we have properly Hank compounded with overpay to Girardi and Staal.

So a fair question is not just what you pose, which is does he deserve it -- answer yes -- but also, can we afford him? Or is he a luxury?

This absurd notion you have that he has plateaued is just that--absurd. When you argue that one player has "plateaued" and is part of the veteran crowd and that another player has endless upside and is part of the "young core" when those two players are less than a year apart in age, your bias is showing. Kreider is valuable. He has the potential to be more valuable than Stepan, but has yet to show it. Stepan is infinitely more valuable than Kreider. He plays the more valuable position. He's on the ice in tougher situations.
both are valuable, IMO Kreider more so based on his potential
that is a subjective opinion.
it is an opinion, but one supported by the facts, that Stepan has not, emerged beyond this level of production, and it is reasonable based on fact to expect that will not change. For example, he is not overweight and will not speed up his skating by losing weight; he can not grow more in height to match up better vs the bigger guys, etc.
Stepan is not more valuable, certainly not "infinitely" so.

And just to anticipate your standard follow-up here, yes, I'm aware that Kreider has been in a lot of proposals on this forum. That's for two reasons. 1- He was an RFA and EVERY RFA shows up in trade proposals on here. 2- People seemed to think that he would be available. Him showing up in proposals isn't a sign that the entire league is salivating over Kreider, but rather a sign that fans of other teams thought the Rangers and their fans might be souring on a player who has had more potential than production for a while now.

I disagree, it is the other side of the coin.
Kreider is the most demanded because he has the most to offer. On top of that as coincidence is the lookout to see if Gorton was gonna do Slats stupid giveaway stuff, thankfully no, hopefully any 'kick the can' concession stupidly given to AV is done and over with.

But that's not what you do. Look to this very thread. You brought Stepan up as a trade piece for a rental defenseman who is already a couple of years older than Stepan and within a year will be more expensive than Stepan. You don't like Stepan. You haven't since the day he made the team. I have no idea why, but it's patently obvious. Own up to it rather than trying to pretend that your dislike is based on "righteousness."
I brought it up after input from StLouis fan who said that would be their desired target based on need for pivot.

But I have consistently said we should have moved Girardi and Stepan because we were better off with the return, and I stand by that. In the case of G, it is way obviously clear.

No, it isn't a fact. It's your belief that any player on the team who you don't like that has a NMC or NTC needs to be traded immediately. You ignore the fact that we only have two top 6 centers and one of them isn't all that proven yet.

Anything that ties our hands is not good and an NMC which makes our gm impotent must be avoided at all costs. THAT IS FACT, I'm sorry you don't get that.

Right. Of course we are. And who will play top line center. Zib? Quick way to destroy a kid by throwing him to the wolves. Hayes? He couldn't even lock down the 3rd line center role last year--oh, but I forgot, he's tall.
Regardless of need for potential to develop, the point is we are best off by making trades that max talent being returned, even if there is a temporary shortage in given positions. Seems we disagree there.

You seem like a good natured dude, Bern, but you throw your opinion out there as fact--often in an insulting tone--and it gets old after awhile.
thanks for the positive, and as to the rest, I have tried very hard, I believe the record reflects, to clarify precisely what is opinion/fact.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
that wont make any difference.

and im a bit curious why he would want to even go to NY when they have no idea who will take Lundvists' spot when he is gone.

if anything teams like Philly and NJ are better destinations for him, if he wants to get paid and win before he is 35

Actually, we have a pretty good idea that Igor Shestyorkin will take his place, but I get your point, we probably won't be contending the next few seasons.

It might not just be about playing close to home. He might want to live in or near the town he grew up in as a kid and play for the team he grew up rooting for. He might care more about that than winning. Maybe he wants to raise his family where he grew up? It's possible you could play for NJ or NYI and live in Westchester, but its really more of a place you'd live if you are playing for the Rangers. The Rangers practice facility is in Westchester, and its not all that far from MSG. I think its pretty split between Rangers who live in Manhattan and those who live in Westchester. I'm not sure about whether any Islanders live in Westchester. I'd assume most live in Long Island because of where their old Arena was located, and possibly some in Manhattan, unlikely any live in Westchester because that's a long daily commute to the Nassau Colosseum where the Islanders played until last season. Maybe some Islander players have moved though, I don't know. I'd assume all Devils live in NJ. You don't want to have to cross the GW every day, although some people do that live in NYC or surrounding areas.

Last edited:

Daggerinaround

Jun 30, 2016
In a prefect. World

Gorton needs to buyout staal or Danny G.
He also needs if Shatty is the answer.
Not to give up more than 2 players and a pick.
Zucc and krider off the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad