Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Ryan Reaves signs extension with the Rangers (1 year, $1.75M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
All these people laughing at the Rangers over this............the definition of keyboard warriors.

Reaves can actually play AND is the toughest guy in the league. I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.
He can sort of play at this point and he’s turning 35 this January.

There were 38 forwards 34 or older in the NHL last season.

There were 24 forwards 35 or older in the NHL last season. These are those forwards, the ages listed are their current ages.

Koivu 7 games - 38 year old retired mid-season.
Eriksson 7 games - 36 year old body dumped in desert
Backes 15 games - 37 year old cap dump now likely retiring.
Richardson 17 games - UFA center looking for a new deal
Nielsen 29 games - 37 year old anchor contract nearing it’s merciful end
Beagle 30 games - 35 year old body also dumped in desert
Filppula 38 games - 37 year old UFA who may retire or maybe pops back up somewhere like Jason Voorhees
Thornton 41 games - he’s 42 years old, Cup lumbering may be over
Nate Thompson 44 games - got 800k deal with the Flyers at age 36
Soderberg 45 games - 35 year old signed with the SHL
Parise 45 games - 37 year old bought out by the Wild and then (allegedly) abducted by Lou Lamoriello
Ovi 45 games - 35 year old just got a 5 year/9.5m deal because he’s the king
Zajac 46 games - 36 year old UFA center (allegedly) threw Parise in the trunk and then drove the car for Lou
Getzlef 48 games - 36 year old center signed a 1 year/3m deal because he doesn’t want to move wants to retire as a Duck
Perry 49 games - If you can’t beat them, then join them, with 36 year old now bottom six warrior getting a 2 year/1m deal from Tampa that has a full NTC but can be buried for cap purposes at any time
Dustin Brown 49 games - this is finally, some how, the last year of the 36 year old’s contract (it was a 8 year deal)
Eric Staal 53 games - UFA center still looking for work
Bellemare 53 games - Also gets a bury-friendly 2 year/1m deal from Tampa but no NTC for Frenchie
Spezza 54 games - 38 year old is back at it, making 750k to see if third time is a charm in Toronto
Jeff Carter 54 games - the 36 year old likely shocked some people when he sprung to life on the Pens after the TDL, he’s only costing the Pens a 2.636m cap hit (and a 1m salary)
Bergeron 54 games - Just turned 36 and in the last year of his 8 year/6.875m deal.
Stastny 56 games - 35 year old low key swell signed a 1 year/3.75m deal to stay a Jet
Pavelski 56 games - 37 year old enters the last year of shockingly not bad 3 year/7m deal with Dallas
Marleau 56 games - dude, you had 9 points in 56 games and you’re 41. Go home.

Well, that was fun. As you can see it’s a mix of some really misguided lengthy contracts and the end of some legendary careers but most importantly the contracts being handed to a lot of old bottom six guys are 1m or less deals. You can just bury those if things go south. Now 1.75m isn’t much more but it gets tight with cap space and randomly budgeting that to Reaves at his age, sight unseen, is kind of a weird, sloppy choice considering guys decline fast around that age.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As long as there are players who play with an intent to injure like wilson and a league afraid of handing out proper punishment there will be a need for a player like Ryan Reeves. This is a good move by the NYR

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Or, and hear me out, they could have put that 1.75 million towards Buchnevich.
Moving on from Buchnevich was just as much about his spot in the lineup as it was the cap. You have Kakko, Kravtsov and Lafreniere as high profile young wingers on ELCs who are ready for top 6 usage. You also have Panarin and Kreider on long term deals. Having young players who are ready to replace an older player ready to sign a deal, that's a step you have to take in the hard cap world, let alone the current flat cap. Logic would seem he was going to be moved once Kreider signed his extension and then on top of that they won the Lafreniere lottery after that which even further solidified it. I love Buch and he's a very underrated player, legit 1st line winger who can play in all situations.

The fact that people seemed blindsided by Buchnevich being traded is crazy.

Now if you want to talk about the return being shit, I totally agree. But they were never going to lock in to a 5 year extension for Buch. Not with 19 year ld Lafreniere, 20 year old Kakko and 21 year old Kravtsov ready for bigger roles.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
All these people laughing at the Rangers over this............the definition of keyboard warriors.

Reaves can actually play AND is the toughest guy in the league. I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

No, its hilarious. They gave up a 3rd round pick and 1.75 in cap space because they are afraid of one player.

What do they think Reeves is gonna do? He will drop the gloves with Wilson in game 1, theyll tangle each other up, throw a few punches, most of which missing, and the refs will break it up. Even if Reeves wins the fight, Wilson will just shake it off and be back on the ice in 5.

A 3rd round pick and 1.75 mil for literally a 90 second spectacle.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At the end of the day, the contract isn't going to hurt us because most of it can be buried if it all fails. And is this really even considered a downgrade after what we iced last season for a 4th line? The one player drawing the short straw here seems to be Gauthier. But putting him on the 4th line seems like a waste of development for him without us ever finding out if he can actually be a full time NHL player.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
They didn’t want to commit to Buch with Kakko and Kravtsov at RW.
Kravstov? The guy who hasn’t established himself in his draft +3 season as a top ten pick? You don’t make plans around him and lose a first liner for nothing. Not good roster management

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kravstov? The guy who hasn’t established himself in his draft +3 season as a top ten pick? You don’t make plans around him and lose a first liner for nothing. Not good roster management
Buch trade was horrible. But that doesn’t change the fact that the 1.75M they’re paying Reaves is going to hurt them cap wise.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No, its hilarious. They gave up a 3rd round pick and 1.75 in cap space because they are afraid of one player.

What do they think Reeves is gonna do? He will drop the gloves with Wilson in game 1, theyll tangle each other up, throw a few punches, most of which missing, and the refs will break it up. Even if Reeves wins the fight, Wilson will just shake it off and be back on the ice in 5.

I don't think it's about just going after Wilson. While NYR didn't shy away from hitting, they weren't a hard team to play against and most teams didn't really fear doing anything to them. The ideal scenario was NYR getting a 4th line similar to the Islanders, or a 3rd line similar to Tampa, where they're creating momentum for the top 6, playing hard every shift, and taking space away from the other team, knocking them off the puck.

While we didn't get the perfect line-up for an all 4th line or an all 3rd line, we brought in Barcley Goodrow, Sammy Blaise and Dryden Hunt (Who I think our fans are going to like if he gets an actual shot). In that direction I don't think they needed Reeves, but again, Reeves is going to see the 4th line and probably have scratched nights. This wasn't just a message to Tom Wilson. We looked like a total joke the last 2 weeks of the season. Reeves should help teams think twice about what they do on the rink. We can all laugh and say "Reeves will be in the box while they score", but majority of the NHL players don't want to have to answer for everything they do.

Reactions: RANGER22

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't like the return we got for Buchnevich. I think Drury blew that trade, especially when you consider the contract that was actually signed. However, Kravtsov hasn't really had an opportunity to establish himself as a top 6 winger yet. He's barely played in the NHL and actually played pretty well in 2 of his 3 KHL seasons. When he came over last season, he was probably our best player in 10 of the 20 games he played.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We're laughing at the Rangers because they're changing their team because Tom Wilson broke them.
Laugh away. I'm pretty sure every Rangers fan is glad we are replacing our talentless, soft bottom 6 players like Howden, Di Giuseppe and Blackwell (who admittedly did have a decent season) for tougher, harder to play against guys like Blais, Goodrow and Reaves (who is not going to play 82 games). Buchnevich was going to be traded no matter what, it has nothing to do with the Wilson situation or changing the look of the team.

Rangers haven't really done a dramatic change to their line up, yet somehow people are laughing 'cause supposedly the Rangers are ruining their rebuild. How? None of the young rookies have been traded. None of the prospects in the system/pipeline have been traded. No significant pics have been given away. The rebuild is progressing just fine. What has changed is the outlook of the bottom-6, which is not really part of any rebuild is it?

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
Love this trade, love the Goodrow signing, love the Tinordi signing, as well as picking up Blais. I'd like to personally thank Tom Wilson and Matt Martin.
Shout out to George Parros as well. The metro should be interesting.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I can’t believe how much people involved with the VGK organization have overpaid this untalented goon over the years.

Before this contract, I believe Vegas gave him a 1-year deal for like 2.5 or 2.75 million because he was ‘supposedly’ going to sign elsewhere. Then afterwards, they extend him again for 1.75 million AAV and now their former coach extends him for another 1.75 million to play single -digit minutes every night. Unreal.

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
At least they didnt trade a first round pick for him, like the Penguins did

I think that trade also included Sundquist. And I think the Penguins also got a 2nd which turned out to be about 20 spots later than the 1st they gave up. I liked Reaves in St.Louis but that trade was a damn good one for the Blues.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why not ask your division foes in Pittsburgh how well this worked out when they overreacted to the same person with the same person?

Watching Reaves was almost as painful as the cost paid to acquire him in the first place.

Last edited:

Zarao71

Jul 19, 2021
The cost to the Rangers is an over utilized boat anchor named Howden and a 3d for a 4th.
Oh NOooo. :(

Reactions: RANGER22

RANGER22

RANGER22
Oct 10, 2020
As a life long Rangers fan, I am thrilled with the addition of Ryan Reaves. We have been too soft for too long!
I believe most people bashing this deal are non Ranger supporters. We now have an answer for Mat Martins blatant elbow to the face of Mika, Hathaways unwarranted headlock on Miller and of course the always psychopathic behavior of Wilson. ( enabled by his BB georgie parros.) Thank you Chris D.
Can't wait to drop the Puck!!!!!

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
You guys needed the toughness to go with all of the young skill coming up....Good adds not crazy about Buch deal thought you should have kept him outside of that good offseason so far.......

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

It’s not about one player. The Rangers over the past two years got pushed around when teams played a heavy game. It’s clear Drury wants the team to have more physicality and pushback because they already have plenty of skill up the lineup. If the Tom Wilson incident did anything it just brought the lack of physicality and pushback in the lineup more to the forefront so Dolan noticed.

But the idea that this and the Rangers’ off season moves that are solely about Tom Wilson is just so wrong.

It’s a young team that was almost entirely a skill lineup over the last couple seasons and it was obvious this season they needed more will in the lineup to accompany the skill. We can gripe about the cap and asset management all we want but the truth is the Rangers have made their team better this offseason. The laughing and reactions have been very out of whack considering this is a team still with Panarin, Zibanejad and Fox, let alone Lafreneire and the other young skill players.

Reactions: RANGER22 and LOFIN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad