Proposal: [NYR - MTL] Lundkvist for Lehkonen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
The NYR are set at RD long term with Trouba, Fox and Schneider. They need quality players in their bottom 6 for the playoffs.

Montreal are sellers and lack RHD in their system.

The trade:

NYR gets: Lehkonen, 5th round pick in 2022.

Montreal gets: Lundkvist, 2nd round pick in 2022 (lowest between NYR's and St-Louis's)

Fair?
NO Chiarot for YOU!!!

Reactions: Habs Halifax
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
NO Chiarot for YOU!!!
ross-geller-david-schwimmer.gif

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Ability to be a trusted defensemen in his own end. Someone like Schneider is +6 in his time in the AHL and Lundkvist is -5. Some say +/- is garbage but there is some context you can look at. How guys rank on the same team. One near the top of the +/- ranks and the the near the bottom.

I'd consider the Lehkonen/Lundkvist swap but not sure I like it. Lundkvist could bust and Lehkonen could be on a value contract in his prime from 27-30. Still one more RFA year of control where you can get him extended at a fair cap hit IMO.

Lundkvist is slightly better than guys we have with Harris and Norlinder. But will any of them be top 4D? Hard to guess on that. Lundkvist was a grade A before his NHL/AHL year but now I would have him grade B+ and could go backwards. Can he regain his grade A status and be a trusted guy in his own end? That's hope
Hilarious to see you use +/- in this scenario but ignore Chiarot's abhorrent +/-

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I’m not a habs fan nor a rangers fan. Let me rephrase the question.

My question is are you saying Lundqvist is the rangers #1 prospect over schneider and othmann?
I would put Schneider over him as of now, both we neck and neck but Schneider jumped to the NHL and hasn’t looked out of place at all for a 20 year old.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The emergence of Brayden Schneider, stronger play from Trouba this year and Adam Fox on the top pair.

If Lundkvist didn't struggle as much in his own end, the Rangers probably consider not making the change and calling up Schneider. 9 assist in 24 games AHL games? Schneider called up Jan 12th and Lundkvist's last NHL game was on Jan 8th.

Basically Lundkvist created his own demotion where the Rangers gave the chance to Schneider who is the better all around D man. I said this last year too when Lundkvist was racking up points in the SHL. Schneider is the better D man.

Lundkvist has to figure out how to play actual defense which is his primarily responsibility. This happens to a lot of guys like this. Basically a Sandin type who can and will get pushed around in his own end.

Reactions: Canuck Luck

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So a 5 point blip over a season? I mean…
his best pace so far was 0.39 ppg, which results per 82 games into 32 pts. currently his pace is 0.5 ppg, which would lead to 41 pts over 82 games.
if you take the average of his previous seasons, it's 0.36 ppg, which is a pace for under 30 pts. so the spike is roughly 30% to 35%.

let me know, if you have other math problems.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would put Schneider over him as of now, both we neck and neck but Schneider jumped to the NHL and hasn’t looked out of place at all for a 20 year old.

Schneider has better all around game, mobility, and size. Schneider performed better in the defensive area and Lundkvist is also struggling in the defensive area in the AHL.

Neck and neck? That's reach at this point. One is on his way up playing NHL games and the other is on his way down playing in the AHL.

I respect "holding on hope" but that's just it. It's hope where you expected a lot from him this season. Hype on his SHL offensive numbers. He has to have a better 2nd pro season next year or you have a bust or disappointment on your hands. If the Habs had someone like that who is on his way down, the entire HF gang would say... you are overrating your prospect. :nod:

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
So then why are you disputing that Lundqvist is the rangers #1 prospect when you don’t even believe it?

I’d say the majority of your fan base and the hockey world sees him as the rangers 3rd best prospect. I personally have him at 4. Schneider, Othman, Jones, Lundqvist.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
From a fan with no dog in the fight - Not bad honestly.

Lehkonen isn't worth what Habs fans think he is.

Lundkvist isn't worth what NYR fans think he is.

Probably fair, plus or minus a 4th or something.

Reactions: Canuck Luck

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

My thoughts too. I like both players but Lundqvist is a smaller puck moving defensemen with a right shot and Lehkonen is decent defensive minded 3rd liner who can play either wing. Like those are good, but also neither will make or break a team and both can ultimately be replaced

They are fine players but also this is a pretty low stakes trade that could address each teams positional needs. But you know, everyone’s gotta get worked up about it

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If Lundkvist didn't struggle as much in his own end, the Rangers probably consider not making the change and calling up Schneider. 9 assist in 24 games AHL games? Schneider called up Jan 12th and Lundkvist's last NHL game was on Jan 8th.

Basically Lundkvist created his own demotion where the Rangers gave the chance to Schneider who is the better all around D man. I said this last year too when Lundkvist was racking up points in the SHL. Schneider is the better D man.

Lundkvist has to figure out how to play actual defense which is his primarily responsibility. This happens to a lot of guys like this. Basically a Sandin type who can and will get pushed around in his own end.

Lunkqvist wasn't "bad" defensively, though Nemeth was playing like an anchor at the time. He's been much better since returning from "paternity leave". Regardless, Schneider IS a better prospect - I won't argue there. Lundkvist, however, is young with plenty of upside which he flashed while he was up. He's a prospect. I wouldn't say he's an A prospect, but he's a good prospect, and the base of Lundkvist for Lehkonen (+/-) seems "fair", though I understand why Montreal would want to hold onto Lehkonen as well. For Lundkvist, he's simply blocked for the foreseeable future in NY. The only spot we really have open is a top 3 caliber LHD to play with Fox, so that Lindgren can drop down the lineup to where he belongs. With Fox, Trouba, Schneider, Miller, Lindgren all locked in to roster spots, there really isn't going to be any opportunity in NY anytime soon, baring injury.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Habs have no need for a small d-man who can't protect the puck and gets roughed around. We al saw what happens to those kind of dman come playoff time See Girard

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lunkqvist wasn't "bad" defensively, though Nemeth was playing like an anchor at the time. He's been much better since returning from "paternity leave". Regardless, Schneider IS a better prospect - I won't argue there. Lundkvist, however, is young with plenty of upside which he flashed while he was up. He's a prospect. I wouldn't say he's an A prospect, but he's a good prospect, and the base of Lundkvist for Lehkonen (+/-) seems "fair", though I understand why Montreal would want to hold onto Lehkonen as well. For Lundkvist, he's simply blocked for the foreseeable future in NY. The only spot we really have open is a top 3 caliber LHD to play with Fox, so that Lindgren can drop down the lineup to where he belongs. With Fox, Trouba, Schneider, Miller, Lindgren all locked in to roster spots, there really isn't going to be any opportunity in NY anytime soon, baring injury.

His Corsi for is 45.5% and he got almost 60% of his starts in the offensive zone. Don't tell me Schneider earned it with emergence on his 9 assists in 24 AHL games. Lundkvist is a liability in his own end and the Rangers felt that Schneider deserved the chance where Lundkvist had his chance. Schneider is the better option cause his overall game is better and he can actually play defense.

Sorry but Lundkvist was not putting up offensive numbers and he's not the type to lean on heavy in a defensive role. Reality. He's fallen from his grade A status last year in the SHL. Can he regain it? He's not off to a good start in the AHL. -5 rating and among the worse on his team. Basically, Lundkvist needs to prove he can put up offense or he is going to have a rough development ride.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Ability to be a trusted defensemen in his own end. Someone like Schneider is +6 in his time in the AHL and Lundkvist is -5. Some say +/- is garbage but there is some context you can look at. How guys rank on the same team. One near the top of the +/- ranks and the the near the bottom.

I'd consider the Lehkonen/Lundkvist swap but not sure I like it. Lundkvist could bust and Lehkonen could be on a value contract in his prime from 27-30. Still one more RFA year of control where you can get him extended at a fair cap hit IMO.

Lundkvist is slightly better than guys we have with Harris and Norlinder. But will any of them be top 4D? Hard to guess on that. Lundkvist was a grade A before his NHL/AHL year but now I would have him grade B+ and could go backwards. Can he regain his grade A status and be a trusted guy in his own end? That's hope
I don't fully get the +/- argument in the AHL, when in the NHL Lundkvist is a + 4, and Schneider is a + 2...

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
A very good and proven bottom six with outstanding defensive game for a B prospect that may never be.

The second has more value....but still...

No.
In what world is Lundkvist a B prospect? Holy crap. Lundkvist is a near NHL ready blue-chip.
Lundkvist doesn't hold same value as Guhle.

That being said, i would do Lehkonen for Lundkvist straight up. No picks.
LOL

Lundkvist who dominated mens hockey as a teenager and smashing in the AHL against someone who is still playing junior hockey.

Sure.
not a fan of Lundkvist i think he busts,Schneider would be great but obviously Rangers never do that
Interesting take when you have probably watched him a handful of times.

Yes, no way in hell is this fair for NYR.

NYR have a reason to be excited about Lundkvist. Because he never hit the ground running in his first 1/4 season in NHL and already labelled a bust. Gotta love NHL fans.

Reactions: bl02

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
In what world is Lundkvist a B prospect? Holy crap. Lundkvist is a near NHL ready blue-chip.

LOL

Lundkvist who dominated mens hockey as a teenager and smashing in the AHL against someone who is still playing junior hockey.

Sure.

Interesting take when you have probably watched him a handful of times.

Yes, no way in hell is this fair for NYR.

NYR have a reason to be excited about Lundkvist. Because he never hit the ground running in his first 1/4 season in NHL and already labelled a bust. Gotta love NHL fans.

:oops:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't fully get the +/- argument in the AHL, when in the NHL Lundkvist is a + 4, and Schneider is a + 2...

Look at usage, ice time, and zone starts. Play the match game. Who is who below? +/- is of value but you have to know how to apply it and it has to be taken with a grain of salt in many cases. But there are trends you can look up and connect the dots.

* 14 min a game vs 16 min a game
* 4 total min vs 15 total min on the PK
* 30.5 total min vs 1.5 total min on the PP
* 41% vs 57% of D zone starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad