Post-Game Talk: NYR @ CGY: Bye Bye Stu

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
A good young player does not need to be put with players to play around his style, he needs to make the team by playing at the highest level we have seen him play every night. Or else its a long road of nothing with him. On another note i am happy Stall is back to his higher level because he is other than Lundy imo the best player on this team.

I over stated my intention. I meant that we should allow him to keep his game simple and use him with our offensively talented forwards to set him up for what he's good at. There's no sense in playing a Kreider the same way you'd play a Hagelin. Having him on the PP with his shot --- that he's improved on further during the summer, much like having ovechkin on one side winding up for one timers, might be good for him.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
This is not a system that should take a long time to adjust to.

Yea, it is preseason. I'm not going to get bummed about a west coast loss.

As far as Kreider goes, he's big and fast but you still have to play the game. Measurables don't make plays.

SomE*

That top line was a ****ing embarrassment. Nash was just dogging it, Richards was chasing the puck like a 10 year old, and Kreider went back to being an on ice observer.

Fast looked good, Lindberg played, but i'm only going on second hand accounts because I barely noticed him. Stu Bickle is the worst player to ever put on a blue uniform, and John Moore is the only ****ing bright spot.

way too many f-bombs for a preseason game. calm the **** down ppl

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, it's hard to forecheck when there's very little to forecheck at. If we're constantly in their zone or we're keeping them to the outside and forcing their hand, fore checking comes naturally to guys like Asham. Tonight though, fore checking just wasn't on the menu imo.

You're gonna have to explain that one a little better. Asham didn't forecheck because there wasn't any forechecking going on? That's not even right. Boyles line forechecked all night. The line Asham was on had one forechecking shift where he decided not to change when he was tired. Asham wasn't part of the reason his line didn't forecheck? How does that even make sense?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If it's November and the lineup is healthy, and they're playing like scheiße, I'll start worrying. John Moore looks even better than last year, Staal likes fine, at least one of Fast/Lindberg baby will make the team. It's pre-season for ****'s sake. The Flames are destined for dead last, of course they're gonna come out and play like that.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
People are reading way too much into a preseason game, Jesus. This wasn't a good match up for the squad the Rangers iced tonight. Half of the forward/defensive lineup were slugs and the Flames are a quick, young team with a lot to prove. BIckel was absolutely abused tonight. He needs to be kept far away from the NHL squad come regular season, and thankfully, that shouldn't be an issue as he won't be needed with the team's current defensive depth.

On the bright side, Staal was fantastic again, Moore and Stralman looked like a good pairing, Fast and Hrivik impressed me, and Lundqvist looks great already (although I thought he could have stopped the Glencross goal, but that's being nitpicky).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Is Stu Bickel Vigneault's new Aaron Rome? This guy should be nowhere near this team.

We warned you guys about this lol, AV will find a bottom 6 guy or bottom D-man and play him 20min. The question is, who it will be.

It's kind of funny. No need 2 panic tho rangers fans, you guys have a good roster.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We warned you guys about this lol, AV will find a bottom 6 guy or bottom D-man and play him 20min. The question is, who it will be.

It's kind of funny. No need 2 panic tho rangers fans, you guys have a good roster.

Finding a bottom 6 guy or a bottom D-man and playing him 20 minutes is one thing. I expect some of that.

Stu Bickel on the other hand is a beer league player that needs to be so far away from our NHL roster that he stretches the universe. That's different. I hope AV gets that right.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Not looking like much of a team right now but I don't usually pull out the panic button till game 2 of the regular season.

Finding a bottom 6 guy or a bottom D-man and playing him 20 minutes is one thing. I expect some of that.

Stu Bickel on the other hand is a beer league player that needs to be so far away from our NHL roster that he stretches the universe. That's different. I hope AV gets that right.

So you're saying Bicks should be relegated to playing hockey in another galaxy? That's harsh bro... Real harsh.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Did Moore play great in the second half of the game or something? I only caught the first half and he looked downright terrible but people keep saying he looked good

Perhaps Moore's getting a little bit of the Callahan treatment

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Did Moore play great in the second half of the game or something? I only caught the first half and he looked downright terrible but people keep saying he looked good

Perhaps Moore's getting a little bit of the Callahan treatment

Even in Game 1 he was a train wreck positionally, but he's been explosive offensively, and that's what's flashier in people's minds.

It's refreshing to see, I guess. He's gonna need to tone it down in the regular season.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Definitely want Kristo to start in Hartford. He's got some good attributes clearly, but I just think his decision making is too slow. More time to adjust to the speed of this level will do good for him. Hrivik looked great last night, definitely expecting one of him or Fast to be on the opening night roster. Would give the edge to Fast for now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Didn't watch all of the game but the Rangers struggled to maintain possession which killed their offense. Richard's line looks pathetic because no one is hanging onto the puck and making plays, they're just throwing bad passes into the skates of the opposing team. Kreider's not going to be useful if his linemates aren't in position to get him the puck when he's open and that line never really had the puck

Falk looked better as the game went on but he and Bickel still kinda are not that good.

This was the Rangers 3rd preseason game and Calgary's 6th. Not that surprising a result

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The majority of these players from last night had not played since last Monday. The timing is off. Too much rust. The Rangers had back to back games and then a full week off. Then 4 games in 5 nights.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Geez. Some of you attach meaning to pre-season games when there is none. No wonder there are suicidal tendencies here when they get outplayed in a period of a regular season game.

One of the biggest problems comes from expecting players you like to perform better than they have yet to realistically show, so far. I am talking to you Kreider fans, now. I hope he becomes what some of you think he is. He might, but he is currently the most overrated player on the roster, while Boyle remains the most underrated. Fans have always hated big players who are not overly physical.

My favorite part of all this is watching the same folks telling me how great some players are after they have an occasional good game. I love the pendulum effect of the fan brain.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

By all indications,the top six will be McDonagh-Girardi,Staal-DZ,Moore-Stralman. Just because Keith Ballard didn't play well in Vancouver doesn't mean that will happen here with another player. LOL.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
John Moore keeps looking better and better.

Reserving judgement on how bad the rest was. Not a good showing (to put it nicely) but they've got time to get it together.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sooo we played a game where we iced basically 5 or 6 regular forwards, only 3 of whom will be counted on to provide consistent offense when the games matter, we sucked, and people are surprised?

Some of you guys are ****ing nuts.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
They weren't good but I understand it's just the preseason.

The only thing that boggles my mind are people saying Moore played well. I really like the kid, don't get me wrong. He showed some good stuff offensively but in the defensive zone he was absolutely putrid. He had a couple of ill-advised passes/turnovers. He looked much better his first game.

I really liked Fast's game and Hrivik was good also. Lindberg made a couple of nice plays but I'd like to see more games from him.

Tikkanese

Dec 6, 2006
New York
im still waiting to hear good news on kreider. it's still looking like he hasn't improved much at all. i keep hearing bad things about him. does anyone think he will ever get better? was he just overrated by alot of rangers fans? he seems like he may be a bad pick.

I actually think he has gotten worse. One of those super frustrating players with skill and a big body who doesn't seem to know how to use either in a game situation.

At this point, it seems like he has zero Hockey IQ.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
John Moore keeps looking better and better.

Reserving judgement on how bad the rest was. Not a good showing (to put it nicely) but they've got time to get it together.

Maybe he is looking better and better, but I don't think he brings what we really need and I can't say I am thrilled about his development.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
This had been a very strange training camp.

In camp for a few days and then play back-to back games.

Then, almost an entire week off before playing 4 games in 5 nights.

This team is far from being in game condition and is probably well behind other teams who have played more games, in the respect. But, that is the nature of this particular training camp.

I think that after tonight's game the team needs to be cut down to the 13 forwards and 7 d who will start the season: maybe keep an extra player because of the long road trip.

Let the regular lineup play Thursday and Friday to help round into game condition.

What concerns me is that they have, again, almost a whole week off between Friday's game and next week's opener in Phoenix. I know it is a good time to work on new systems, etc......but I'm really concerned about how ready the team will be to actually play games once we start for real.

I know this will even out when we start the season but the combination of this disjointed pre-season and the long road trip has me a bit concerned.

Love the kids thought...all have impressed me.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Kreider stuff reminds me of Goldilocks. If linemates were porridge, maybe he'll find the ones that are just right soon.

Vigneault, like Tortorella, is getting hit with the reality that Kreider is not the cant-miss blue chipper that management thinks he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad