Post-Game Talk: NYR @ CGY: Bye Bye Stu

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I thought Mashinter and Hrivik looked good. Well, Mash looked better at least.
I wasn't paying attention much to our regulars but Staal stood out as great.

Our offensive zone time and strategy looked great. Our transition game looked better and our defensive zone lapses and breakdowns were hilarious. We truly played a run n' gun style today. Our defense will have to learn to recognize when the proper times to jump in are. Today, half of them were just playing rover.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
im still waiting to hear good news on kreider. it's still looking like he hasn't improved much at all. i keep hearing bad things about him. does anyone think he will ever get better? was he just overrated by alot of rangers fans? he seems like he may be a bad pick.

Kreider needs to be put into a spot where he can succeed. He's not an all around player, he's not a defensively good player. He's got his speed, size and shot. Put him in a simple role where he's basically a shooter, he'll succeed. If he doesn't have the talent around him to allow his skill set to be brought to the forefront, he's most likely going to be drifting around the ice aimlessly.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
Wow we lost to a team that iced most of its NHLers we should just cut everyone on the team and fire the coaches and trade Lundqvist and bring back Leetch.

Jeez people it's preseason and we have a new coach implementing a new system. There will be some growing pains. Chill the **** out. We'll be fine.

Seriously though, Bickel should replace Redden as the eternal whipping boy. Staal looked like old Staal. Break up the Kreider-Richards-Nash line. It isn't working.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
I think Kreider needs to play with younger less established players at this point. He needs to be on a kid line. He needs to be "the man" on that line....

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Kreider needs to be put into a spot where he can succeed. He's not an all around player, he's not a defensively good player. He's got his speed, size and shot. Put him in a simple role where he's basically a shooter, he'll succeed. If he doesn't have the talent around him to allow his skill set to be brought to the forefront, he's most likely going to be drifting around the ice aimlessly.
Exactly. Put Stepan(when he is here) or Brassard on his line.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
im still waiting to hear good news on kreider. it's still looking like he hasn't improved much at all. i keep hearing bad things about him. does anyone think he will ever get better? was he just overrated by alot of rangers fans? he seems like he may be a bad pick.

He has so much talent, but he needs to figure himself out to channel it. I don't think NHL time will do him a lot of good at this point TBH. He should've spent the entire past year in the AHL, and he looks like he needs AHL time now.

He could still become a top-6 LW, but my doubt increases a sliver with each lacklustre effort.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011

I don't know many players who come into the NHL with a very small skillset, and are automatically handed the most preferable, least responsible role in hockey.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I thought it looked like... A preseason game. Oh my god!

Seriously though, it wasn't that bad. A couple of moments of bad coverage during preseason isn't something unexpected playing in a new system. What I was most concerned about was the way the team plays in the offensive zone now. I like the amount of chaos they created in the 1st and 2nd periods. The active defenseman is definitely noticeable. All 6 of them seemed more willing to shoot the puck than they did last year.

Right now, of our 5 young forwards vying for spots in the lineup, Kreider is playing the worst. The other 4 (Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik, Kristo) are all at the same level. Pyatt was invisible. Asham was terrible. Powe I thought had another good game, for what he is. Mashinter looked good.

Staal looks comfortable. Del Zotto looked decent aside from going out of position on the first goal. Moore and Stralman looked very good. Falk was okay. Bickel was bad.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Brad Richards took "clean slate" a little too far. He's forgotten how to play hockey. I don't think AV was quite going for that.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I've been bored watching all 3 preseason games thus far...

Not impressed with the play of the majority of our regular players....

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Playing with Richards and Nash you shouldn't have to be responsible for too much, just go in front of the net and put your stick to the ice. Doesn't seem to work though.

Maybe playing with guys like Stepan, Hagelin, and Zuccarello would help him. But they help everyone, and maybe it is more valuable having them playing with our better players: Nash, Richards, Brassard, Callahan etc.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I honestly can't imagine Lindberg being a worse option than Richards. I don't think Richards is better offensively than many NHL players at this point and Lindberg has to be better in the other areas.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Richards... no, just no. Same as last year. I hope AV is saying he likes Richards and Nash together only because Stepan isn't around - that's not a good combo.

After 2 games, Kreider hasn't really seized the bull by the horns and shown that be belongs the top line. Still not seeing enough initiative by him. He could find himself on the 3rd line when Hags is healthy.

Liked what I saw from Hrivik, he's got good speed for his size. Staal was awesome. Everyone else was either meh, invisible, or in Bickel's case, a trainwreck.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
I thought it looked like... A preseason game. Oh my god!

Seriously though, it wasn't that bad. A couple of moments of bad coverage during preseason isn't something unexpected playing in a new system. What I was most concerned about was the way the team plays in the offensive zone now. I like the amount of chaos they created in the 1st and 2nd periods. The active defenseman is definitely noticeable. All 6 of them seemed more willing to shoot the puck than they did last year.

Right now, of our 5 young forwards vying for spots in the lineup, Kreider is playing the worst. The other 4 (Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik, Kristo) are all at the same level. Pyatt was invisible. Asham was terrible. Powe I thought had another good game, for what he is. Mashinter looked good.

Staal looks comfortable. Del Zotto looked decent aside from going out of position on the first goal. Moore and Stralman looked very good. Falk was okay. Bickel was bad.

Asham wasn't THAT bad, but he could've been better. Those penalties in the 1st killed us IMO. That put a halt to our momentum and by the time we got going, it was too late. Gotta be more disciplined.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Regarding our D. Paradoxally Strålman and Moore have IMO been our most impressive defencemen so far in the pre-season. Girardi looked pretty bad vs the Flyers. McDonagh and Staal pretty invisible apart from Staal's goal. Del Zotto up and down.

Only pre-season though, not surprising that a more offensively inclined D like Strålman shines with the less talented lineups.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
It's a preseason game, so it's best not to get too upset about this turd.

What annoys me is only that watching this was such a poor use of my time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad