Value of: Nylander (Trade)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
And also has 18 points in his last 18 playoff games, 3rd in the league for playoff PPG among defenseman during that time (Makar/Fox ahead) while also having solid advanced stats in a top pair role

Rielly turns into a superstar when the games matter, Hanifin is not better than him
Let's end this nonsense , Morgan Rielly gets walked more than my neighbours incontinent dog , McJeebus didn't just fake him out of his jock , he pants him then fisted him . He has had the benefit of a buttload of secondary assists where he just gives the puck to someone skillful and they get the primary to pad his stats so he isn't a true #1 anywhere but Toronto , a team everyone in hockey knows is terrible defensively . 1 round win vs how many game seven , third period lead blown loses ? Hardly shutdown material .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Leafs don't want to loose Nylander anymore than Nylander wants to leave Toronto. I doubt any team gives him $10M+ as a UFA. $9M maybe. I think his fair value is in the $8M - $9M range along with the likes of Larkin, Barzal, Dubois who has signed recent contracts.

I believe the plan will be lets just play out the last year of the contract and see how much the cap grows.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think the Leafs don't want to loose Nylander anymore than Nylander wants to leave Toronto. I doubt any team gives him $10M+ as a UFA. $9M maybe. I think his fair value is in the $8M - $9M range along with the likes of Larkin, Barzal, Dubois who has signed recent contracts.

I believe the plan will be lets just play out the last year of the contract and see how much the cap grows.
Eklund and James Tanner say he's going to Calgary
Thank God football rumors are back
At least most of those guys don't have a basement command post

Reactions: Habs Halifax

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I don't think there are any contenders that have the cap space to afford Nylander as a rental.
As far as trading with an extension locked into place, my guess is it will cost a top defenseman (seemingly Toronto's biggest need from this outsider's perspective), a 1st round pick, and probably a decent prospect too at the very least.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

If Hanifin is traded, and extends with his new club, the max. term would be seven years would it not?

If true, then a 10M per year contract totals to 70M. But, if he extends with Toronto on an eight year term that same contract value would average out to an 8.75M per year contract.

Is an 8.75 AAV manageable for the Leafs? I suspect so, but I suspect ego might enter into the picture given the large contracts of a few of his mates.

An 8.75 AAV would be palatable for a number of teams including mine, the Calgary Flames.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Hanifin is traded, and extends with his new club, the max. term would be seven years would it not?

If true, then a 10M per year contract totals to 70M. But, if he extends with Toronto on an eight year term that same contract value would average out to an 8.75M per year contract.

Is an 8.75 AAV manageable for the Leafs? I suspect so, but I suspect ego might enter into the picture given the large contracts of a few of his mates.

An 8.75 AAV would be palatable for a number of teams including mine, the Calgary Flames.

I think the Leafs has cap room starting next season (24/25)

The growth in contracts between Matthews and Nylander is basically Domi's contract. Let Domi walk. Then let Klingberg walk and give a raise to Bertuzzi (if required).

The real issue is distribution of the salary cap from the Forwards vs the D. After next year, Leafs have Rielly, McCabe, Lilegren, Timmins and would need to add at least one top 4D.

Bertuzzi won't get all of Klingberg's contract. Maybe half of it at best. Then add Brodie's $5M hit and also the cap growth. Maybe Brodie says on a value contract. Who knows.

I think this comes down to the Leafs new GM trying to be frugal but Nylander is just about to finish a value contract so he don't like the idea of taking less this time around. Leafs want as much cap room as possible to improve the goalie and D situation. If Samsonov asks for 5 years and $5M (like Campbell), let him walk too. Never commit to more than 3 years on goalies unless they are sure shot top 10 quality.

I personally don't see Nylander getting traded. Possible but not likely. Season is a few days away now.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

The growth in contracts between Matthews and Nylander is basically Domi's contract. Let Domi walk. Then let Klingberg walk and give a raise to Bertuzzi (if required).

The real issue is distribution of the salary cap from the Forwards vs the D. After next year, Leafs have Rielly, McCabe, Lilegren, Timmins and would need to add at least one top 4D.

Bertuzzi won't get all of Klingberg's contract. Maybe half of it at best. Then add Brodie's $5M hit and also the cap growth. Maybe Brodie says on a value contract. Who knows.

I think this comes down to the Leafs new GM trying to be frugal but Nylander is just about to finish a value contract so he don't like the idea of taking less this time around. Leafs want as much cap room as possible to improve the goalie and D situation. If Samsonov asks for 5 years and $5M (like Campbell), let him walk too. Never commit to more than 3 years on goalies unless they are sure shot top 10 quality.

I personally don't see Nylander getting traded. Possible but not likely. Season is a few days away now.
That top 4 D is not close to a cup team though and is below average overall. I’d say they need at least two top 4 D and one needs to be elite. Hard to see how they do that without trading Nylander.
I agree that the real issue is too much of the cap being tied up in four forwards (five if they re-sign Bertuzzi). That’s got to change.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Let's end this nonsense , Morgan Rielly gets walked more than my neighbours incontinent dog , McJeebus didn't just fake him out of his jock , he pants him then fisted him . He has had the benefit of a buttload of secondary assists where he just gives the puck to someone skillful and they get the primary to pad his stats so he isn't a true #1 anywhere but Toronto , a team everyone in hockey knows is terrible defensively . 1 round win vs how many game seven , third period lead blown loses ? Hardly shutdown material .
Possibly the single worst take I’ve ever seen on these forums, in 20+ years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That top 4 D is not close to a cup team though and is below average overall. I’d say they need at least two top 4 D and one needs to be elite. Hard to see how they do that without trading Nylander.
I agree that the real issue is too much of the cap being tied up in four forwards (five if they re-sign Bertuzzi). That’s got to change.

A lot of it will depend on how this season goes. How does Domi, Bertuzzi, and Klingberg do and how much does Liljegren grow/mature.

Also depends on the cap growth. Maybe Brodie comes back on a value contract and then they try to find one top 4D. Even if they have the cap space for two top 4D's, that's just not easy to find.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
The Leafs just need to keep Nylander and gauge where they are at when the TDL rolls around. If the team is a major contender for the Stanley Cup, who cares. Keep Nylander, try to win a Cup, and if he walks as a UFA, so be it. You MUST try to win when the window is open!
I somewhat agree. My hesitancy is due to the fact that this is what they’ve been doing since Lou was GM.

Hanfin would be the 7th d on the leafs behind Rielly, McCabe ( need him on PK ) and Gio ( leadership and still
Close to Hanfin )
If that’s where management saw him, I’d want them all fired ASAP. Hanafin is a top 4 defender.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He definitely can't enter free agency

No way somebody offers him an amount at 7 years, that makes up the difference for an 8 year term
Klingberg made that massive mistake

$10x7 <<< $9X8 which is what Toronto is probably offering.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He definitely can't enter free agency

No way somebody offers him an amount at 7 years, that makes up the difference for an 8 year term
Klingberg made that massive mistake

$10x7 <<< $9X8 which is what Toronto is probably offering.
He’d only need 2 million+ at 35 on a 1 year deal to come out ahead.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
If Toronto doesn't trade him, starting in 2024/25, they have:

Matthews - $13.5 million
Tavares - $11 million
Marner - $10.9 million and due a raise
Nylander - $10 million

Bertuzzi and Domi will also be due raises and be UFAs. They also need to fill our almost their entire d-core and sign at least 1 goalie.

Good luck building a team around that. Nylander also seems to want to go to a team where he is more of a main attraction.
he would basically replace Tavares in a couple years but 10m next year is impossible or I think it is atleast

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

The Leafs will have 33.4 million in cap space if the season ended today.
IF they sign Bertuzzi for 7 mil AAV and Nylander for 9 mil AAV that leaves 17.4 million in cap space.
The type of defensemen that the Leafs need and have stated they are looking for they typically go for about 4 to 5 mil AAV. So if they need 2 then that leaves 7.4 mil in cap space left.
We will have to see who they acquire during the season to really know if they will need two top 4 defensemen.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
IF they sign Bertuzzi for 7 mil AAV and Nylander for 9 mil AAV that leaves 17.4 million in cap space.
The type of defensemen that the Leafs need and have stated they are looking for they typically go for about 4 to 5 mil AAV. So if they need 2 then that leaves 7.4 mil in cap space left.
We will have to see who they acquire during the season to really know if they will need two top 4 defensemen.
33 million, with 11 players signed, don’t forget. So your 7.4 million left now has 15 signed.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

We read this every damn season and yet the Leafs have been a top 10 and top 5 defensive team the past 2 seasons. But I am sure losing the 15 games of Luke Schenn and Justin Holl will make the D "below average"

33 million, with 11 players signed, don’t forget. So your 7.4 million left now has 15 signed.

Only our resident Leaf hater could spin having tons of cap space into a negative

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We read this every damn season and yet the Leafs have been a top 10 and top 5 defensive team the past 2 seasons. But I am sure losing the 15 games of Luke Schenn and Justin Holl will make the D "below average"

Only our resident Leaf hater could spin having tons of cap space into a negative
Just showing the facts, what part is wrong.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So they just need to sign a starting goaltender and like 6 other players with 7 mil in cap space - assuming they get favorable contracts on Bertuzzi, Nylander and not one but TWO UFA d-men (as we know those never get paid more than they are worth) AND assuming the cap goes up by as much as expected.
Seems totally realistic.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Just showing the facts, what part is wrong.

So they just need to sign a starting goaltender and like 6 other players with 7 mil in cap space - assuming they get favorable contracts on Bertuzzi, Nylander and not one but TWO UFA d-men (as we know those never get paid more than they are worth) AND assuming the cap goes up by as much as expected.
Seems totally realistic.

What you guys are missing is that this is not the long term outlook. Tavares has 2 years left. If the season ended today as per the discussion, that would be 1 season. So we have 1 season where things will be tight, and Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Bertuzzi, and Rielly locked into term (under this hypothetical). We also have prospects graduating and filling in ELC spots.

The cap allocation is naturally being fixed and healthier over the next few seasons. You are ignoring guys like Knies and Niemela coming up on ELC's and Joe Woll's. We have several prospects on the cusp who will fill depth roles.

For fun I used a 95 million cap in 2025-2026 with these hypothetical cap hits. The roster with Matthews(13.25), Marner (12.5), Nylander (9.5) Rielly (7.5), Jarnkrok(2.1), Kampf(2.4),Reaves(1.35 could replace him in UFA easily as well if he sucks for that price), and Knies(3< bridged) they would have 49M in capspace to fill 5D, 2G, 4F

And that ignores players like Woll getting bridged or Samsonov being extended if he plays well, Liljegren and other young dmen taking spots for affordable rates. Maybe Tavares comes back and would be quite cheap and he likely does a Spezza/Gio for us.

Basically, every year after that the cap outlook gets better and better. The Leafs may have a tight 1 season, but to pretend this is how it will be going forward is being disingenuous.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What you guys are missing is that this is not the long term outlook. Tavares has 2 years left. If the season ended today as per the discussion, that would be 1 season. So we have 1 season where things will be tight, and Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Bertuzzi, and Rielly locked into term (under this hypothetical). We also have prospects graduating and filling in ELC spots.

The cap allocation is naturally being fixed and healthier over the next few seasons. You are ignoring guys like Knies and Niemela coming up on ELC's and Joe Woll's. We have several prospects on the cusp who will fill depth roles.

For fun I used a 95 million cap in 2025-2026 with these hypothetical cap hits. The roster with Matthews(13.25), Marner (12.5), Nylander (9.5) Rielly (7.5), Jarnkrok(2.1), Kampf(2.4),Reaves(1.35 could replace him in UFA easily as well if he sucks for that price), and Knies(3< bridged) they would have 49M in capspace to fill 5D, 2G, 4F

And that ignores players like Woll getting bridged or Samsonov being extended if he plays well, Liljegren and other young dmen taking spots for affordable rates. Maybe Tavares comes back and would be quite cheap and he likely does a Spezza/Gio for us.

Basically, every year after that the cap outlook gets better and better. The Leafs may have a tight 1 season, but to pretend this is how it will be going forward is being disingenuous.
That’s nice and all, but 2 years from now has nothing to do with discussion, you still didn’t list the part you disagree with.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What you guys are missing is that this is not the long term outlook. Tavares has 2 years left. If the season ended today as per the discussion, that would be 1 season. So we have 1 season where things will be tight
Not at all, it's just that cap space clearing up 2-3 years from now doesn't impact the cap space you actually have available now or in 1 year.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not at all, it's just that cap space clearing up 2-3 years from now doesn't impact the cap space you actually have available now or in 1 year.

And literally every. single. year. this board tells us next year we are screwed and every. single. year. the team opens the season compliant.

Like yeah it will be tight, but that is 1 year and my point is the Leafs window is not 1 year it is 5 when Matthews expires, and 3 of those years the Leafs have lots of flexibility and can easily fill a quality roster, and 1 of those years is this year coming up.

Reactions: The90

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
@HockeyVirus
So can’t answer original question you responded to, thought so.

As a reminder, it was 7.4 million left with 15 signed, using OP math that I quoted, we’ll try one last time, what part is wrong ?
Try and answer without moving goalposts again.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad