Speculation: Nylander Discussion - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You’re the one who started with the weak hypotheticals.

Saying that Nylander might not perform well this season isn’t a weak hypothetical. Tons of players underperform after missing camp and the start of the season. Saying his trade value would be hurt if he did struggle isn’t a weak comment either.

How about you stick to making comments instead of trying to police everyone else on the Mains. Or better yet go back to your safe place on the Leafs boards, a place where no one would suggest such crazy things like Nylander struggling after holding out for all of camp and part of the season.

I responded to someone who said Carolina should offer sheet nylander. So this is how this has gone:

• What if Carolina offer sheets Nylander?
  • He doesn’t sign it
  • But what if he does?
  • The leafs would match
  • But what if it’s a big AAV?
  • The leafs would match and then trade him
  • You can’t trade an offer sheet player
  • Yes you can, you have to wait a year
  • But what if he has a bad year and the leafs can’t trade him
  • Just stop it

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
That’s neat, but anything Shanny says with respect to what Nylander or other Leafs should do is pointless and actually looks quite bad on him.
And that actually might be the whole point. If Shanahan can deflect away from the actual negotiation I think that's a win from his perspective.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Beggars can't be choosers. You guys need to move Nylander or you will lose him for nothing at some point. If you pay Nylander what he wants, you won't be able to afford both Matthews and Marner next year.

The Canucks would actually be doing the Leafs a favour by giving them Eriksson.

look I know you are trolling here, but please stop being ridiculous.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I responded to someone who said Carolina should offer sheet nylander. So this is how this has gone:

• What if Carolina offer sheets Nylander?
  • He doesn’t sign it
  • But what if he does?
  • The leafs would match
  • But what if it’s a big AAV?
  • The leafs would match and then trade him
  • You can’t trade an offer sheet player
  • Yes you can, you have to wait a year
  • Adversary became obsessed with Nabob
  • But what if he has a bad year and the leafs can’t trade him
  • Just stop it
  • I’m telling mom

Isn’t this entire board about proposals and hypotheticals. Seriously go back to the Leafs board if everything bothers you so much.

I’ll go back to having decent conversations with decent posters about Nylander and his contract/lack of one. Cheers

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And that actually might be the whole point. If Shanahan can deflect away from the actual negotiation I think that's a win from his perspective.

I guess if he wants to think that. Personally it reminds me of something Kevin Lowe would have said.

The only way that Shanny would want to deflect from the actual negotiations is if he thinks they are going badly for the Leafs, which they shouldn’t be considering Nylander has very little leverage.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Isn’t this entire board about proposals and hypotheticals. Seriously go back to the Leafs board if everything bothers you so much.

I’ll go back to having decent conversations with decent posters about Nylander and his contract/lack of one. Cheers

Lol

Having it spread out like that really illustrates how ridiculous your ‘conversation’ is, doesn’t it?

If you want to try to hypothesize the worst case scenario for the Leafs, go ahead. But don’t act all innocent when I call you out

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
wait, I thought McDavid had little to no risk?He had only had one 100pt season when he signed his $12.5M contract and had already missed more time than Matthews with injury.
He had risk, just a lot less of it. You get a bit more leeway when you're a generational prospect/talent, the best player in the league (who has been projected as such since before he was drafted), and hitting triple digit points and sweeping awards in your 2nd season.

Edmonton also had more risk than most would if they didn't sign him at that point. The sky was the limit, and McDavid had leverage.

Matthews has had the kind of performance and improvement in the NHL that you'd expect from a franchise center, his career pace for goals is around 43/82 games and improving, his career ppg is .92 and improving. Both of his comparable players had missed notable time with injury when they had signed, I don't see more risk in Matthews than either Eichel or McDavid in meeting expectations.
Yes, it is development and results you would expect from a franchise C. Still doesn't mean you pay your franchise C 11m+ out of his ELC.

Eichel had more risk. Buffalo is just stupid and desperate.

The expectations for Matthews are lower than McDavid, but that would be accounted for in the inflation-adjusted AAV
It's not accounted for if Matthews doesn't take a huge step forward, and you pay him 11m+.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
No reason for the Jets to do this. Trouba is much more valuable than Gardener, probably the most valuable piece in the deal.
In the long run we are losing Trouba for nothing. He wants money and you have 7 million over 6 years. plus Ehlers at 6 mill and we can have Nylander at 7 and Gardener at 6.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Lol

Having it spread out like that really illustrates how ridiculous your ‘conversation’ is, doesn’t it?

If you want to try to hypothesize the worst case scenario for the Leafs, go ahead. But don’t act all innocent when I call you out

“Worst case scenario”

No it was one of many possible scenarios.

A player having an off year after holding out is actually a very likely scenario. It’s a lot more likely then him having a career year and then being traded for a kings ransom like you proposed. Sorry if you’re sensitive about that.

You’re trying to play the victim here or something and you’re failing badly.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I guess if he wants to think that. Personally it reminds me of something Kevin Lowe would have said.

The only way that Shanny would want to deflect from the actual negotiations is if he thinks they are going badly for the Leafs, which they shouldn’t be considering Nylander has very little leverage.
Not necessarily. He may also use it to say "see Nylander is on board by signing his contract" if/when it happens.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Ehlers and Trouba for Nylander and Gardener. All signed LT for 13 mill a pair.
That deal favours Toronto too much. I can't see any reason why Winnipeg would want to trade for Nylander considering they themselves will have some cap decisions to make very soon as well.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
In the long run we are losing Trouba for nothing. He wants money and you have 7 million over 6 years. plus Ehlers at 6 mill and we can have Nylander at 7 and Gardener at 6.
not a chance. we have ehlers signed for 7 years there is no point in trading him for someone not better then him who is holding out for 8 and trouba wants around 8 why trade him for another player who he is better than and needs a new contract that 2 xgm's this morning just said would take 7 million to re-sign when he hits f.a next year. also no idea how you would be losing trouba for nothing

Strangle

May 4, 2009
“Worst case scenario”

No it was one of many possible scenarios.

A player having an off year after holding out is actually a very likely scenario. It’s a lot more likely then him having a career year and then being traded for a kings ransom like you proposed. Sorry if you’re sensitive about that.

You’re trying to play the victim here or something and you’re failing badly.

You’re ignoring that the entire premise is based on an imaginary offer sheet being signed and being too big an AAV for the Leafs to carry before we even get to the point of what kind of year Nylander might have.

Try to keep up, please.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You’re ignoring that the entire premise is based on an imaginary offer sheet being signed and being too big an AAV for the Leafs to carry before we even get to the point of what kind of year Nylander might have.

Try to keep up, please.

No I understood that very simple thought, along with all your other simple thoughts.

Even if you stop at the AAV being too high for the Leafs to carry it has already lowered his trade value simply because of that. You’re falling way behind here.

Maybe you should go back to the Leafs board where everyone will agree with you and you won’t have to get so emotional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad