Nylander contract discussion - New Poll

What is your limit for a "Cap %" for Nylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
If highest paid players don’t win Championships, why do teams even bother paying them?

Don’t answer that.

The point is there are expectations when it comes to highest paid players. Now some teams want to make noise… and believe they are that ONE player away from winning. Sharks failed with EK but Vegas won with Eichel. Then there are teams that just needed to pay their own stars bc they can’t replace them.

To complete ignore playoffs performance is foolish but to use playoff performance as the be all and and all is equally foolish.

Even without the salary cap, Hockey is unique compare to the other big 3 NA sports. Basketball is literally a one man show as we seen with our Raptors having a Kawhi on the team made them Champs and you have to go back to the Pistons team like 20yrs to find a Championship team that didn’t had a top 3 player in the league if not the best player in the league.
NFL is similar as QB will make or break a team.
Baseball is a game of individuals. It is always the pitcher Vs the batter.
Football or soccer is actually the closest comparison to Hockey where individuals are important but team play is equally important .
Having said all that, being paid the highest comes with expectations, both personal and team, esp when the team got talents. When Ovie and his Caps couldn’t make it through the 2nd round, it was never oh the supporting players didn’t show up but rather can Ovie lead the Caps?
Same with Mack? It is completely fair to ask the same questions to AM, MM, JT and Willie. Can any of them lead the Leafs to Cup? If anything that is a compliment to them being top players in the league as trust me, guys like Kampf and Gregor would love someone asking them can they lead the Leafs to win the Cup.
To kept blaming other factors such as being out goalied or tough opponents or supporting cast not good enough or Keefe or even fans…. Although some are true but deep down, our highest paid guys need to be a lot better and not be outplayed by opposing team highest paid players where pretty much made a few millions less than anyone of AM, MM and JT.
I agree 100%.

Our top guys HAVE to get it done. Plain and simple

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Since you always have to include marner in your criticism of the team because of your bias agenda
Please do the same for
Nylander matthews and Tavares
Not sure what you mean by "do the same" but if you're interested, what's stopping you from figuring things out for yourself?

LOL "bias agenda". When Marner's playing great I have heaped a ton of praise on him but I'm not afraid to call him out when he's been not so great. And those game 5-7 stats boy, they're freaking terrible and I doubt I'll ever forget how badly he played in game 3 against Florida.

Calling it like it is isn't "bias", I hope that helps. But if I've said something that isn't true, go ahead and correct me. I'd love to find out that I'm wrong and that Marner's actually a clutch playoff performer who we can count on to play his best when the stakes are highest.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
Half a season of 120 point pace production and we give a 28 year old career 80-90 point player $11.5mx8. Next year Marner will go on a streak and MLSE will give him $13mx8. Just love this organization!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is a stupid take, the GMs in Florida and Texas are just always really really good at negotiating every single time. They just always hire the elite of the elite negotiators without fail and they only acquire players who are willing to sacrifice money for the team to the point that they have 90% of the guys willing to take discounts in the league. The fact the discounts are almost always the exact same amount as the tax difference is irrelevant at best and dangerous conspiratorial thinking at worst

I can't wait till Montour, Forsling and Reinhart take a crippling bite out of the Panthers and shut their two fans up.

• Love
Reactions: HolyCrap

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Half a season of 120 point pace production and we give a 28 year old career 80-90 point player $11.5mx8. Next year Marner will go on a streak and MLSE will give him $13mx8. Just love this organization!
Has mattews scored over 100p yet? So why did he get 13

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
11.5 at 8 years with a massive signing bonus and a no trade is madness.

I love watching him, man he’s been exciting and he truly has become a better overall player, but I part ways in a heartbeat. Either trade him or ride out the season, that contract is stupid bad.

Reactions: Cleetus and ToneDog

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The Marner contract is the one where you need to be ruthless. They clearly valued Nylander enough that they are overpaying him to keep him. You can't give Marner Matthews money. You can't. If he won't accept less money, you need to move on even if the Paul's get upset.
Even though he shouldn't, Marner will likely end up slotting in somewhere between Matthews and Nylander on the pay scale.

Marner was overpaid on his current deal so he really doesn't deserve a raise, but that's on Dubas.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
When a team such as Florida is pounding you into a juicy pulp, and their players are boxing your ears and nobody is saying anything back much less punching somebody's face in is not a coaching problem, and never has been, unless of course the coach is instructing them to just lay back and enjoy it.

In fact I'd imagine Shelly was imagining/wishing he could strap on the pads, lace up the skates and go out there and try on Tkachuk, or Reinhart

Florida is about to have literally the exact same cap structure as us and it’s also stupid to use a no state tax team as a comparable. The players net more than Toronto players do. People can pretend like that doesn’t matter all they want but it plays a huge part. It is what it is.

Florida’s a good team but they are overrated as hell. They haven’t won shit all and people point to them as the gold standard.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Florida is about to have literally the exact same cap structure as us and it’s also stupid to use a no state tax team as a comparable. The players net more than Toronto players do. People can pretend like that doesn’t matter all they want but it plays a huge part. It is what it is.

Florida’s a good team but they are overrated as hell. They haven’t won shit all and people point to them as the gold standard.
President's trophy a few years ago and SCF last year. If they haven't won shit, what have we won? Oh yeah, we won the North and respect in the handshake line.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

No man they have elite cap efficiency, that’s why they went to the finals with 6mil in dead buyout cap. When you have leaders like Barkov taking 1 mil less than Matthews it lets you spend 14 mil on goaltending while only having one defenseman getting paid more than 3.5 mil. That’s what you call depth, which we just don’t have.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009

these are the guys we're gonna trust to build a stanley cup team, absolutely absurd

players in toronto also get endorsement deals

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No man they have elite cap efficiency, that’s why they went to the finals with 6mil in dead buyout cap. When you have leaders like Barkov taking 1 mil less than Matthews it lets you spend 14 mil on goaltending while only having one defenseman getting paid more than 3.5 mil. That’s what you call depth, which we just don’t have.
Barkov on a 10mx8 year deal is more than $1m cheaper than Matty. The goaltending they overpaid for beat the President Trophy winning Bruins, shutdown our overpaid super elite forwards (1g in 5 games), swept the Canes and hit a wall in the SCF.

They also have bargains in Tkachuk, Bennett, Reinhart, Verhaeghe, and the Dmen you mentioned.

Love the energy Lomberg brings. Hope Tre can convince him to come home.

They are dangerous if they can stay healthy.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I don’t think 1.5m extra for 2-3 players is the difference between a cup winner or not.

I’d rather Willy at 11 than no Willy. But at the same time and as I’ve said before I think we have a shit load to offer that most teams don’t and it doesn’t make sense to me why we have to overpay anyone on the cap. But whatever.

I think Willy is a winner and will honour his contract to his greatest ability unlike some players around the league. Glad he will be around.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I've seen all go cold at the same time, like every game 7 we've ever played. Does that count?
They should not need to play a game seven in the first rounds. Years when Nylander was on fire the coach would not play him near enough or with the best players.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
these are the guys we're gonna trust to build a stanley cup team, absolutely absurd

players in toronto also get endorsement deals
Shanny holds media conference to beg 3 amigos to take discounts and then under his watch the team goes on to overpay Nylander (slightly), Matty, Marner, Matty again and soon Nylander again. The guy knows how to lead a tank and hold onto his job.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Shanny holds media conference to beg 3 amigos to take discounts and then under his watch the team goes on to overpay Nylander (slightly), Matty, Marner, Matty again and soon Nylander again. The guy knows how to lead a tank and hold onto his job.

Pretty sure it was Chelios who disparagingly referred to Shanahan as “a politician”.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad