Nylander Chronicles Part XXIV: Homer's Odyssey Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I think Gross is doing a $hitty job. He badly underestimated his rookie counterpart who is holding firm to what is fair and market appropriate.

I wholeheartedly approve and say job well done so far Kyle. Keep up the good work.
When I get the ability to give likes again, I'm coming back to this thread to like your post.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We’d all do things if we didn’t feel valued wouldn’t we?

Some might. I don’t know, I certainly wouldn’t take less money to go work in a less desirable location just because my ask was a bit higher than what my employer was offering, especially if my employer was offering more than what this other company could pay me. Not to mention all my friends worked at my current employer.

Plus, in this scenario, Nylander would be giving up a lot of money in endorsements by going to play in Russia/Europe. He’d have to be really angry with the Leafs organization to do that and screw himself out of millions of dollars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alerion

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Shanny should want to see a team friendly deal, as any President would. The job of the GM is to execute on that. So far only our GM has been unable to get that job done. At some point you have to question if there are issues with his negotiating style. Did he take this whole process too lightly? Does Nylander's camp think they can walk all over him because he's never negotiated a deal like this?

I dont get how anyone can say our young GM has done a good job when he doesnt have the player under contract and we're already 15% of the way through the season. Think about how many games weve already lost because we couldnt score. Nylander would have helped. Imagine we miss out on home ice because of those missed points. Imagine we miss out on 1st in division and an easier draw in the first round because of it. None of this says our young GM is doing a good job.
I don't accept the premise that Nylander not being under contract is somehow the Leafs fault.

Last edited:

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Some might. I don’t know, I certainly wouldn’t take less money to go work in a less desirable location just because my ask was a bit higher than what my employer was offering, especially if my employer was offering more than what this other company could pay me. Not to mention all my friends worked at my current employer.

Plus, in this scenario, Nylander would be giving up a lot of money in endorsements by going to play in Russia/Europe. He’d have to be really angry with the Leafs organization to do that and score himself out of millions of dollars.

Eh if he's that dumb better we find out sooner than later.

Purge the dummies.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
The clock is ticking... Baring any trade I can see WM signing the shortest contract available hoping to cash in On his next deal. Losing a year is a financial disaster and returns next year in the exact same position

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
The clock is ticking... Baring any trade I can see WM signing the shortest contract available hoping to cash in On his next deal. Losing a year is a financial disaster and returns next year in the exact same position

The fact that he hasn't signed a 2 year 5-5.5M deal yet is truly mind-boggling and has me questioning his camp's sanity.

Reactions: cipher

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The fact that he hasn't signed a 2 year 5-5.5M deal yet is truly mind-boggling and has me questioning his camp's sanity.

His camp is crazy. You have to be crazy to drop that kind of coin with no other potential income lined up.

Reactions: cipher

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Shanny should want to see a team friendly deal, as any President would. The job of the GM is to execute on that. So far only our GM has been unable to get that job done. At some point you have to question if there are issues with his negotiating style. Did he take this whole process too lightly? Does Nylander's camp think they can walk all over him because he's never negotiated a deal like this?

I dont get how anyone can say our young GM has done a good job when he doesnt have the player under contract and we're already 15% of the way through the season. Think about how many games weve already lost because we couldnt score. Nylander would have helped. Imagine we miss out on home ice because of those missed points. Imagine we miss out on 1st in division and an easier draw in the first round because of it. None of this says our young GM is doing a good job.

so you admit your only looking at this year, ok good. Brendan and Dubas aren't.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don't accept the premise that Nylander not being under contract is somehow the Leafs fault.

The only way this is the Leafs fault is if you believe that the organization is shortchanging him by offering him a long term deal at under $6 million.

While I suppose that’s possible, I frankly don’t believe that to be the case because it’d be an absurd position for the team to take.

For starters, if that were true would the media not have already reported on it? Say what you want about Sportsnet and TSN being owned by the same companies that have a stake in MLSE, but outlets like The Star or The Sun are playing lenty capable and not owned by Rogers or Bell, and I don’t doubt that guys like Feschuk or Simmons wouldn’t love making the Leafs look like the bad guys in this situation. Also the fact that Lewis Gross and Michael Nylander haven’t have leaked that little detail out to improve their leverage speaks volumes.

Second, every insider, no matter if some people don’t find them reputable, has reported the same specifications regarding this stalemate; Nylander’s camp is asking for something around $8 million, while the Leafs are offering something closer to $6 million. There hasn’t been so much as a peep that the Leafs are offering less than $6 million, except in cases where a bridge deal as a solution is brandied about.

Third, and most importantly, if the Leafs did try to get Nylander to sign long term at less than $6 million, they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. Nylander’s ask of $8 million is absurd, but at the very least Draisaitl exists as a comparable. None of Nylander’s comparables are making less than $6 million. Not Pastrnak, not Ehlers, and not Larkin. Off the top of my head I can’t think of anyone who’s produced similarly to Nylander that isn’t making or will be making $6+ million a season long term. If there is they signed their deals a couple of years ago, when the cap was lower. It’d be a foolish position for the Leafs to take. Besides the fact that Nylander is holding out and not playing, if it got out that the Leafs were trying to lowball one of the Big Three all the fire and fury currently directed at Nylander would be turned on management. I don’t believe Dubas or the Leafs to be that cheap. Yes they want to save cap space, but a Nylander contract between $6-6.5 wouldn’t be a back breaker, and certainly wouldn’t have kept him out of the lineup this long.

I can’t see that being the case. If at the end of this it does turn out that the Leafs offer was a lowball if that nature, then I’ll change my tune. As it stands however, I find the scenario that the Leafs are offering a long term contract starting with a 5 to be ludicrous.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

he wont be in the exact same position, he'll be in a much worse position:

-one full year without playing in the NHL lowers his value and makes him a worse player
-after one year away, he won't be getting that 8 million, he'll be lucky to get half that
-he will clearly be seen as a "me first" guy and not a dressing room guy, so teams will not want anything to do with someone like this

this is all a downward spiral for him, and a losing battle. he's the one making his own bed here

Reactions: Slot

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Its the GMs fault since hes doing the negotiation

Haha. And another fail. You are basically saying the GM needs to sign him no matter what. You don’t understand the aftermath. If Willy’s camp won’t budge off a ridiculous number that’s not on the GM. He’s doing the right thing.

Reactions: Slot

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
What sucks is that we gotta deal with gross again with Sandin?
Just stop drafting players that use Gross as an agent.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
It shouldn't have to be explained to you that it takes both sides to get a deal done

Sadly, there is so much that shouldn't have to be explained to this numb nut.

It's pretty much guaranteed the Leafs are offering between 6-6.5 and Nylander's camp (Gross and Michael N) are around 7.5-8. Until the former group embraces the reality of the situation, then the stalemate will continue as Dubas et al are not going to give into their poorly planned demands. Not a single chance. A trade only starts to become an option once there is another team out there willing to pay Nylander 7.5-8 per year. I don't see many, if any, coming forward to do that. All this trade talk is just noise. He'll sign before Dec 1 or he sits for a year.

I'm more than ok with Dubas playing hardball with the morons advising this kid. All the premature ejaculators in this thread jumping on Dubas and the Leafs to sign him. So shortsighted and frankly stupid. Our window to contend may be around 1-2 decades long. You have to ensure that each of these signings doesn't restrict us in future years.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Sadly, there is so much that shouldn't have to be explained to this numb nut.

It's pretty much guaranteed the Leafs are offering between 6-6.5 and Nylander's camp (Gross and Michael N) are around 7.5-8. Until the former group embraces the reality of the situation, then the stalemate will continue as Dubas et al are not going to give into their poorly planned demands. Not a single chance. A trade only starts to become an option once there is another team out there willing to pay Nylander 7.5-8 per year. I don't see many, if any, coming forward to do that. All this trade talk is just noise. He'll sign before Dec 1 or he sits for a year.

I'm more than ok with Dubas playing hardball with the morons advising this kid.
exactly. Any idiot could give in and get Nylander signed, even if it hurts their cap structure and makes him look like a complete pushover in his future negotiations. Fortunately, Dubas is not that idiot. he has all the leverage and is using it. that's the only smart move

Reactions: A1LeafNation
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad