Nylander Chronicles Part XXIV: Homer's Odyssey Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I was the only guy who predicted this, on any relevant hockey board. And of course I was villified.. But I have to say, its gotten worse than I figured.

This is all about Micheal Nylander, making his last stand. And its ugly.

I think, we could be seeing a Willy, no show in the NHL this year. Would I like to see it?
Not at all.

But, I think he is a scared kid when it comes to the real playoffs. So the Leafs aren't going to hand out big time money to him.

My rumours? Leafs would rather see Gardiner play next season, than Nylander. Gardiner has stones, he can take a hit and he can swing a series, when he gets hot and inspired.

I think Dubas stares this turkey down all day long, till December 1st. He actually has to.

Nylander just exits and enters zones like a master, but he doesn't have the wherewithall to do much when he gets in and out of them, Babcock insists that isn't all that.

Just my raven parchments, no real insider stuff.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Burke “I can only tell you, this agent [who’s representing Nylander] represented Johnny Gaudreau, made some demands which we’ve never really made public when I worked for the Flames, because we thought people would resent them,” Burke said Saturday in a discussion with David Amber and Nick Kypreos.”

An old quote from Brian Burke (occurring before the season began)

Shows you the kind of guy gross is.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The only way this is the Leafs fault is if you believe that the organization is shortchanging him by offering him a long term deal at under $6 million.

While I suppose that’s possible, I frankly don’t believe that to be the case because it’d be an absurd position for the team to take.

For starters, if that were true would the media not have already reported on it? Say what you want about Sportsnet and TSN being owned by the same companies that have a stake in MLSE, but outlets like The Star or The Sun are playing lenty capable and not owned by Rogers or Bell, and I don’t doubt that guys like Feschuk or Simmons wouldn’t love making the Leafs look like the bad guys in this situation. Also the fact that Lewis Gross and Michael Nylander haven’t have leaked that little detail out to improve their leverage speaks volumes.

Second, every insider, no matter if some people don’t find them reputable, has reported the same specifications regarding this stalemate; Nylander’s camp is asking for something around $8 million, while the Leafs are offering something closer to $6 million. There hasn’t been so much as a peep that the Leafs are offering less than $6 million, except in cases where a bridge deal as a solution is brandied about.

Third, and most importantly, if the Leafs did try to get Nylander to sign long term at less than $6 million, they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. Nylander’s ask of $8 million is absurd, but at the very least Draisaitl exists as a comparable. None of Nylander’s comparables are making less than $6 million. Not Pastrnak, not Ehlers, and not Larkin. Off the top of my head I can’t think of anyone who’s produced similarly to Nylander that isn’t making or will be making $6+ million a season long term. If there is they signed their deals a couple of years ago, when the cap was lower. It’d be a foolish position for the Leafs to take. Besides the fact that Nylander is holding out and not playing, if it got out that the Leafs were trying to lowball one of the Big Three all the fire and fury currently directed at Nylander would be turned on management. I don’t believe Dubas or the Leafs to be that cheap. Yes they want to save cap space, but a Nylander contract between $6-6.5 wouldn’t be a back breaker, and certainly wouldn’t have kept him out of the lineup this long.

I can’t see that being the case. If at the end of this it does turn out that the Leafs offer was a lowball if that nature, then I’ll change my tune. As it stands however, I find the scenario that the Leafs are offering a long term contract starting with a 5 to be ludicrous.

A lot of your post is hinged on what insiders have “reported”. I think it would do you some good to reflect back on what insiders have actually reported as having heard leak from the parties involved in the negotiations v.s. what they are simply guessing on just like us here on HF.

If an insider says “it is my belief that...” for example, that is not a leak, it is speculation.

If they say “A source familiar with the negotiations tells me that...” then it is a leak and that constitutes a “report” of some information.

At the completion of this exercise, you would find that the only concrete information that the insiders have reported is that there have been no leaks on the numbers at all.

To your third point, your arguments being made sounds like what 2 parties would be arguing if they were stuck on RFA contract negotiations in November ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: hotpaws

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Happy November everyone. I think this is going to go towards Dec 1st. How many more threads we're going to have before that ?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Holy shit, I knew this guy was getting roasted on social by fans, but the insta comments are hilarious, literally every picture has about 1000 "sign now" related posts on it, thats awesome.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Burke “I can only tell you, this agent [who’s representing Nylander] represented Johnny Gaudreau, made some demands which we’ve never really made public when I worked for the Flames, because we thought people would resent them,” Burke said Saturday in a discussion with David Amber and Nick Kypreos.”

He's done it with every client. Him and Michael are a bad combination. Willie may have a really tough decision on his hands. Stay out of it as he's done or alienate his own father as well as get a new agent at the same time.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

yeah except he did sign before the season, and Nylander still hasn't. To me that shows that Nylander is to blame, not the agent

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just f***ing sign him give him the moneyif the difference is 1.5 million give him the money.

If you got trade Hyman who cares? If you have to trade Brown who cares? I like both those guys but you can replace those guys yoy don't keep them at the exspense of Nylander.

You pay your stars and replace your grunts.

Hyman and Brown are grunts you trade them if you need to to keep Nylander

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yeah except he did sign before the season, and Nylander still hasn't. To me that shows that Nylander is to blame, not the agent
To me that shows the teams still low balling him .

Also half the league wants to trade for him so they must consider his ask reasonable and that also shows me the team is low balling him .

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

wow.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Burke, is the only guy I liked in MLSE. Dubad, Shitahand and Boobcock are hated.

I am on Nylanders side.... No one wants to play for Bab..... Cock. Just my opinion.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
This is getting too painful now honestly. I didn't want to say this before but it sure feels like Nylander doesn't value this team much (or the leafs don't value Nylander). Either way even if a deal gets done now i don't see him in a Toronto jersey for very long.

If he is being low balled then i can't see him staying here long and that would be understandable. On the other if he is holding out just to get some crazy 8 mil figure then i don't think leafs should even try to keep him here for long. Plenty of good players (wingers) out there atm that would love to join this solid core of JT, Matthews, Marner, Kadri, and Rielly.

Reactions: The Rat King

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Holy ****, I knew this guy was getting roasted on social by fans, but the insta comments are hilarious, literally every picture has about 1000 "sign now" related posts on it, thats awesome.
good for them. it wont do anything but its still funny.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Even if a said Dec 1 , i did not think it would even go this far. So Dec 1st is still alive! ALIVE ! I TELL U!
(insert mental image of meme with Homer going backwards into bush)

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Burke, is the only guy I liked in MLSE. Dubad, ****ahand and Boobcock are hated.
You’re missing some others as well like Director of player well being Dr Meg Poo Poo Vic and also Assistant director of player personnel Wuss Clark: I cant stand those two.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
T-Minus 30 days left for young Will to make up his mind, even though it looks like he already has. The only good thing is you know this is going to be over with soon. For better or for worse.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
T-Minus 30 days left for young Will to make up his mind, even though it looks like he already has. The only good thing is you know this is going to be over with soon. For better or for worse.
Dubas could let the deadline pass.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Just ****ing sign him give him the moneyif the difference is 1.5 million give him the money.

If you got trade Hyman who cares? If you have to trade Brown who cares? I like both those guys but you can replace those guys yoy don't keep them at the exspense of Nylander.

You pay your stars and replace your grunts.

Hyman and Brown are grunts you trade them if you need to to keep Nylander

Thanks Dave Nonis

Reactions: Mork
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad