Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Personally I'm happy we traded him, with us at least, he wasn't able to elevate his game in the playoffs. 4 assists in 17 playoff games, 2 of which (maybe 3?) were empty netters.

With that said overall he's a pretty decent player. He's got good size and speed. He's not very physical, but he's also not out there getting ran over or giving it away to avoid checks. He's got a very hard and accurate wrist shot from the slot, but has trouble finding open space, which is even harder in the playoffs. He's versatile as he can play LW or C, he can PK and he can be on your PP if need be. Defensively he's pretty responsible, I mean he's no Bergeron or anything, but he's trust worthy. Basically he's a well balanced player.

To islanders fans, I hope he does well for you. He definitely will give the effort game in game out.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
From what I'm reading, I like the trade. Just what NYI needed, we have enough grind to offset his 'softness.' NYI needed speed, PK'ing, an NHL body, a puck transporter, and some skill. Seems he brings that.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
From what I'm reading, I like the trade. Just what NYI needed, we have enough grind to offset his 'softness.' NYI needed speed, PK'ing, an NHL body, a puck transporter, and some skill. Seems he brings that.
He is soft, and all of the other statements you made are also true.

A really good bottom sixer with great speed and the ability to PK. His zone entries are not something to behold though... the '180' he does, is sometimes unbearable to watch.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
All this soffness aversion reminds me of the Hawks-Ducks conference final where the Ducks were suicide bombing the Hawks every shift and after they lost it dawned on Kesler that you can't just hit your way to a cup

Engvall reminds me of Chimera, who was an excellent bottom 6 player even though he didn't light people up

Reactions: xECK29x

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Good trade for both sides. I think Engvall will be a solid contributor for the Isles. I'm ecstatic that Engvall and Sandin aren't on the Leafs for the playoffs. Now they just need to get rid of Kerfoot...
How would you feel about them bringing back the goat for a deep playoff run? They could use the size!

• Love
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like this deal for the Isles even if this turns out to be a rental. A 3rd rd pick for a bottom 6 player with limited opportunities to play offence while scoring 12 goals playing with primarily an offensive black hole Center is not bad. Could be a sneaky good deal.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
A decent trade for both teams, with Lou acting as the go between to allow the Leafs to move Engvall and gain Shenn, good luck to him with the Isles.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021

This is actually a very valid point. The leafs didn't have any kind of grit or grind up until the last few deals by Dubas. The entire team was soft as butter. Very easy to push around and they often lost those games. So fans were frustrated with a 6'5 player who is absolutely jacked (wait until you see some locker room footage of the guy) refused to play physical.

I don't blame Engvall for that at all. Leafs knew what he was. I think he ends up being a 20 goal guy with the islanders. He has a nice shot and could be used on the PP with it.

As a leafs fan I hope to see him do well on the Island. I think he'll enjoy living in the New York area.

Reactions: chamchibap

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Engvall at his cap hit is more than fine in the bottom 6 . Great skater with good tools and he was part of a very effective 3rd line last year when we had Mik .

His main problem is he’s such a huge guy people wanted him to play much more physically which is a valid point but if he was grittier he’d also be worth double his present salary .

An added bonus is his Mom is an age appropriate hottie for the older fans and for the ladies he’s a good looking kid , lol .

Reactions: The Real JT

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
He was the most invisible player on the Leafs, and I don't mean that as some odd compliment.

I'm not a hater, but the only time you ever noticed him at all was just for his height. Just standing there being tall. He's never actually impressed me with his play.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kind of funny in the other Leafs trade threads a big point was made of how impressive it was that Dubas didn't give anyone up off the roster when he traded with STL and CHI. Now that he IS trading pieces off the roster due to the cap problems from the earlier trades the Leafs fans are celebrating anyway.

That would be because despite this particular player being 6"5 and somewhere between 220-230 pound range he doesn't use his size, he's softer than melting butter.

Lou just snagged the self proclaimed (according to Leafs fans) best bottom 6 player in the league.

Nobody has said that, and if they did they were joking

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Really going to miss those 0 goals in 17 playoff games.

Oh Well I will always be able to look back on the memory of him never scoring in the playoffs
Love terrible responses like this.

15 goals last year
12 in 58 this year

That’s good bottom six production.

Hasn’t scored in the playoffs? That’s right he needs to be better.

Who we brought in?

Lafferty: Zero playoff goals ever
Acciari: Zero goals in his last 19+ playoff games

Those guys have just as much to prove.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Love terrible responses like this.

15 goals last year
12 in 58 this year

That’s good bottom six production.

Hasn’t scored in the playoffs? That’s right he needs to be better.

Who we brought in?

Lafferty: Zero playoff goals ever
Acciari: Zero goals in his last 19+ playoff games

Those guys have just as much to prove.

I don't care about his regular season production, because It's Exactly that, regular season and I specifically said playoffs so regular season is irrelevant.

As for Lafferty he's played 1 playoff game.

Whatever point you think you have, you do not have.

17 VS 1 can't be compared.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I don't care about his regular season production, because It's Exactly that, regular season and I specifically said playoffs so regular season is irrelevant.

As for Lafferty he's played 1 playoff game.

Whatever point you think you have, you do not have.

17 VS 1 can't be compared.

You said playoffs. I never did. You quoted me.

Either way, point stands. Bottom six production has been an issue with us. Engvall can score. He’s gotten better in the regular season, we’d hope that continues in the playoffs.

I’m not overly upset he’s gone.

But it’s not like we’ve replaced his scoring with proven reliable production.

Lafferty isn’t proven at all. He produces less in the regular season than Engvall. Acciari has a mere 4 goals in 54 playoff games.

Still question marks with our scoring depth.

That is the point.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
For now, until you realize he's 6"5, somewhere in the 220-230 pound range and REFUSES to hit, Ilegitimately can't tell you the last time I saw him do it.
He still has positives, I think a team like NYI is perfect for him. Great speed and transition ability that should help their forwards

He was too soft for Toronto, though. We needed a different element in the lineup

Reactions: Petrus

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Engvall at his cap hit is more than fine in the bottom 6 . Great skater with good tools and he was part of a very effective 3rd line last year when we had Mik .
I think this is enough, and considering that the same price was just paid for Marcus Johansen, this NYI fan is pretty happy with the deal. NYI desperately needed to get Otto Koivula out of the lineup - he's simply too slow to play at the NHL level. I imagine Engvall may start off playing center until Pageau is back. Then he could slot on either Horvat's or Pageau's wing.

The other side of this deal is that NYI need to rebuild their bottom-6. Maybe if things work out, they can resign him for something reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad