Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I have throughly enjoyed the amount of Leafs fans calling Engvall soft, as if their entire roster isn’t one of the absolute softest in the entire league. If you needed Engvall to be your enforcer, you already messed up.
We called Engvall soft because he is soft? Not sure why that bugs you lol it's just what he is as a player and the fact he is an absolute tank of a human just makes it more frustrating. That is it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Engvall sounds like a good fit for that the Isles need. A big body winger with speed will definitely help. Even if he is "soft", he can slot in on any line and play with guys that will provide the grit. We'll see though.
Isles need more speed and more skill. Engvall will provide this. Scoring 12 goals playing with Kampf who can be best regarded as an offensive black hole should be noteworthy to some degree. Also I would not call Engvall as soft. Is he a player that can play with an edge more? Probably. But not all players with size can play like this. Or there would be 31 Tom Wilson’s in the league. As long as Engvall goes into dirty areas to make plays he’s fine. I have never seen him shy away from this from my viewings.

I think the Isles did well here. Didn’t give up a 1st or a 2nd to get more skill and speed. Which is ironic to me given Lou is often the GM pegged as wanting grit and less skill and Dubas is the GM that is thought of as skill first, grit secondary.

Reactions: Blowfish

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I have throughly enjoyed the amount of Leafs fans calling Engvall soft, as if their entire roster isn’t one of the absolute softest in the entire league. If you needed Engvall to be your enforcer, you already messed up.

Not one person said we needed Engvall to be our enforcer, simply pointing out he's soft. He doesn't hit or engage in puck battles despite being 6ft5 and built like a truck.

I think as an Isles fan, a team that played such a tough grinding kind of game would have wanted a big body guy to use it and not shy away from contact from guys half a foot shorter than him

Again, he's a great PKer but just refused to get involved physically

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Isles need more speed and more skill. Engvall will provide this. Scoring 12 goals playing with Kampf who can be best regarded as an offensive black hole should be noteworthy to some degree. Also I would not call Engvall as soft. Is he a player that can play with an edge more? Probably. But not all players with size can play like this. Or there would be 31 Tom Wilson’s in the league. As long as Engvall goes into dirty areas to make plays he’s fine. I have never seen him shy away from this from my viewings.

I think the Isles did well here. Didn’t give up a 1st or a 2nd to get more skill and speed. Which is ironic to me given Lou is often the GM pegged as wanting grit and less skill and Dubas is the GM that is thought of as skill first, grit secondary.
Good points. Nelson is a big guy who fit the same description we're hearing from fans now. He's still not a tough guy, but he's definitely grown in that aspect of his game since the Lou/Trotz era started. Some of that might be the guys he's surrounded by rubbing off on him. Maybe the same thing will happen with Engvall.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

He's soft dude. Like the softest soft you'll ever see.

He does good things and is great on the PK but his one guarantee is that you'll get 0 physicality out of him at all times.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Nobody said anything about Engvall being the Leafs' "enforcer". Very weird take.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

He does good things and is great on the PK but his one guarantee is that you'll get 0 physicality out of him at all times.
Insane how the narrative on a player changes the second he's traded :laugh: Engvall is a good guy but jeez man.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale

We get it bro he is soft. No Islander fan has disputed that. Other than the 1-2 usual suspects no one is equating or blaming his rich buttery softness to the overall Charmin Ultra Soft Cushiony Touch softness of the leafs.

We all agree he is soft and is afraid of the corners. Ross Johnston he is not. Hopefully he can fill in on the 3rd line or 4th if needed and he can PK. Its a risk but we have a rich history of dumpstering 3rd round picks on worthless players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lmao at being 6’5” and being soft. Thanks for your time Engvall
Or maybe Isles fans are actually lol that Dubas traded the only bottom 6 fwd on his roster this year that actually produced to his cap hit?

I think you must be referring to Nylander. See him avoiding hits in playoffs. Listen I know some people expect 6’3+ players to play like Tom Wilson does. But those players are rare. Isles don’t need Engvall to be a Tom Wilson, they have Matt Martin and Ross Johnston. If he develops this watching these players this deal becomes a steal. but isles needed speed and skill. For a 3rd pick for a player that scored 12 goals playing with limited offensive mins with david kampt. Solid deal IMO

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good points. Nelson is a big guy who fit the same description we're hearing from fans now. He's still not a tough guy, but he's definitely grown in that aspect of his game since the Lou/Trotz era started. Some of that might be the guys he's surrounded by rubbing off on him. Maybe the same thing will happen with Engvall.
Brock Nelson is a good example. Big guy skilled and can move. But don’t expect him to use his size to punish players. pretty effective player for the Isles the past 4 years. isles can use more of this.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Or maybe Isles fans are actually lol that Dubas traded the only bottom 6 fwd on his roster this year that actually produced to his cap hit?

I think you must be referring to Nylander. See him avoiding hits in playoffs. Listen I know some people expect 6’3+ players to play like Tom Wilson does. But those players are rare. Isles don’t need Engvall to be a Tom Wilson, they have Matt Martin and Ross Johnston. If he develops this watching these players this deal becomes a steal. but isles needed speed and skill. For a 3rd pick for a player that scored 12 goals playing with limited offensive mins with david kampt. Solid deal IMO
Nylander is a warrior compared to Engvall and he is a franchise forward who isn't expected to grind out 3rd and 4th line duties.
Nobody ever expected Engvall to be Tom Wilson. Tom Wilson's mother would have been good.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015

well Jarnkrok actually makes less than him and has produced significantly more and, Holmberg and Kampf make a decent amount less while have virtually the same level of production (in terms of PPG) so that's just not true. Keep trying though

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Let's not forget some other prior 3rd round pick trade bangers. Such as Brandon Davidson, Shane Prince, or James Wisniewski. Spoiler none of the people picked with the 3rds ended up being worth anything.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Pretty sure Nylander finished more checks than this guy, good riddance. He might be the epitome of the Leafs playoffs struggles.
Ignores the 4 players making 8-9 million each and goes after the cheap former AHLer who worked his butt off to get into the line-up. Yeah, he's the source of the Leaf's struggles. I think the Isles did him a favor getting him off that team and away from these fans.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
We called Engvall soft because he is soft? Not sure why that bugs you lol it's just what he is as a player and the fact he is an absolute tank of a human just makes it more frustrating. That is it.
Thoroughbred race horses are built like tanks but I don't get frustrated if they can't pull a cart. It's just not in their nature.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Thoroughbred race horses are built like tanks but I don't get frustrated if they can't pull a cart. It's just not in their nature.
Because he isn't Auston Matthews and he isn't a throughbred. He is a bottom 6 forward, there is no reason he can't and shouldn't be more physical then he plays. It is my biggest pet peeve of NHL player type. Exact same issue I had with Freddy Gauthier. Big for nothing.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Because he isn't Auston Matthews and he isn't a throughbred. He is a bottom 6 forward, there is no reason he can't and shouldn't be more physical then he plays. It is my biggest pet peeve of NHL player type. Exact same issue I had with Freddy Gauthier. Big for nothing.
No it's because Dingbat Dubas blew his wad on 4 overrated players who can't lead the Leafs past the 1st round that they can't attract or afford the proper 2-way players to play a physical game so the fans get upset that their relatively cheap racehorse can't act as an enforcer. Don't blame the most innocent player on the Leaf's team for all it's failures. Look at those 4 greedy do nothing bozos come playoff time. They've never earned their salary. I still don't see any quality 2-way players on that team and if Reilly is one of them he's too old for the role. You can't make it past the first round with a line-up like that, yet a team like my Isles- the operative word being "team" with far less talent are able to go far and that's a fact Jack!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
No it's because Dingbat Dubas blew his wad on 4 overrated players who can't lead the Leafs past the 1st round that they can't attract the proper players to play a physical game so the fans get upset that their relatively cheap racehorse can't act as an enforcer. Don't blame the most innocent player on the Leaf's team for all it's failures. Look at those 4 greedy do nothing bozos come playoff time. They've never earned their salary.
Yeah no I am talking about Engvall here stay in the lane big guy.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad