Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I am confused do you think Hyman was now good for the Leafs in the playoffs because he had a good playoffs last year in Edmonton? One isn't related to the other, and doesn't change that he didn't perform with us over a number of years for different reasons.

Just pointing out that Engvall’s playoff stats aren’t just on him. Same for Hyman. The Leafs recent failures in the playoffs are a collective problem and shouldn’t just be pinned on a player like Engvall. It just seems like some Leaf fans here are taking shots at the player for no good reason. In my honest opinion there is a 50/50 chance that Engvall becomes a really good middle six player for the Isles or he will be playing in Europe in 2 years. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Blowfish

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just pointing out that Engvall’s playoff stats aren’t just on him. Same for Hyman. The Leafs recent failures in the playoffs are a collective problem and shouldn’t just be pinned on a player like Engvall. It just seems like some Leaf fans here are taking shots at the player for no good reason. In my honest opinion there is a 50/50 chance that Engvall becomes a really good middle six player for the Isles or he will be playing in Europe in 2 years. Only time will tell.
I mean he is a good bottom 6 player right now. He is just extremely frustrating because he could be much more if he simply decides he wants to be more. I don't see it changing at this point but you never know.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
This is actually a very valid point. The leafs didn't have any kind of grit or grind up until the last few deals by Dubas. The entire team was soft as butter. Very easy to push around and they often lost those games. So fans were frustrated with a 6'5 player who is absolutely jacked (wait until you see some locker room footage of the guy) refused to play physical.

I don't blame Engvall for that at all. Leafs knew what he was. I think he ends up being a 20 goal guy with the islanders. He has a nice shot and could be used on the PP with it.

As a leafs fan I hope to see him do well on the Island. I think he'll enjoy living in the New York area.

Thanks for the balanced post. Ultimately NYI needs top-6 talent, but given the context of the team *right now, he fits like a glove. Lambert has them playing a relentless push through the neutral zone, in waves (when appropriate). He doesn't have the personnel for it.

I'll pass on the pics, but I do like the package he brings. ;)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Engvall is fine defensively, fast, puts up 30-35 points, 6’5 and earns 2.25 million. Probably not the type of guy the leafs should be trading on paper but he didn’t produce in the playoffs and isn’t to physical and is on an expiring deal. I don’t think switching him out for Accarai/Lafferty will make us that much better but let’s see.

Reactions: SI90

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Engvall is fine defensively, fast, puts up 30-35 points, 6’5 and earns 2.25 million. Probably not the type of guy the leafs should be trading on paper but he didn’t produce in the playoffs and isn’t to physical and is on an expiring deal. I don’t think switching him out for Accarai/Lafferty will make us that much better but let’s see.
Exactly what the Isles need more of. Speed and skill mixed in with some youth. Also Engvall being a big guy never hurts. Leafs want to change their make up of their team. It’s always a gamble moving one of your most productive bottom 6 players using that 3rd rd pick for less skilled players for grit. We will see, for me this was a low risk move by the Isles, riskier for the Leafs as chemistry will change moving out skill players for grit.

• Haha
Reactions: Knies iT

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I could honestly see him being a 20/25 goal guy if put on the second line somewhere. Some nice goals along the way. Solid defensively. Honestly Isles fans he reminded me a bit of Nik Kulemin.
??? Nik Kulemin was many things, and could certainly be maddeningly inconsistent at times. I never paid attention when he was on the Leafs, but on NYI I would NEVER say he was SOFT. Maybe not super aggressive given his strength, but ffs, never ever soft. Not particularly fast either. Certainly not handsome.

I don't see the comparison.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He's a good player for a bottom 6; goes to the corners and uses his size to win puck battles, good on the cycle, fast straight-line speed.

He's not a hitter, but he doesnt play scared after taking one either. I wouldn't call him soft.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
Sorry if I'm duping takes on Engval - but size, reach & speed - good physical tools but if he hits someone it's prob an accident! Frustrating for Leaffans. & sometimes you wanna yell, you're going the wrong way! :)

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Leaf fans calling him soft..... This is probably true but like, so is their whole roster?

Reactions: Kerberos

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
He will be on a line with Bo Horvat and Matt Barzal. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime. We are extremely weak on the left side. If he doesn’t capitalize then he could be Clutterbuck replacement if the warrior doesn’t come back next year. Either way we need to get younger and is worth the 75th pick in the draft.
Engvall is a great skater for his size and can shoot the puck. That’s it.

he can’t pass, won’t hit, won’t check, loses puck battles and has little defensive awareness. With a setup man he might score 25 goals but he must play sheltered minutes.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Leaf fans calling him soft..... This is probably true but like, so is their whole roster?
I think the Leafs just have that label based on the fact that their stars aren't seen as gritty/hard hitting.

Yes, our big guns definitely prioritize stick checking over body checking, but that's because they're much better at it. Matthews and JT are fine to throw their weight around when it's beneficial, but they can usually force more turnovers with stick lift/checks.

The annoying part with Engvall is that his mix of speed and size should mean he should be good at using body checking/physical play to force turn overs, but that never seems to happen.

To put it another way, he had one of the lowest hits/game on the Leafs... behind Marner, similar to Kerfoot, and I think the only player regularly dressed that was below him is Nylander.

Overall, a fairly good player if you're looking for somebody to contribute offensively on the 3rd line. Maybe he has more to offer, but he never showed it in Toronto. As expected with bottom 6 scorers, consistency is a huge issue.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Size is meaningless if you are not willing to go into the corners and grind the puck out.
^

That is exactly the problem with him. He's a great PKer and a fine bottom 6 guy, but you will absolutely lose your shit watching him shy away from corners, puck battles and refusing to lay the body. The fact that he's one of the most physically fit guys in the league makes it that much more frustrating. Great speed, generates decent chances as a bottom 6 guy, good with his stick but like everyone is saying, just the softest guy in the world.

1677863760180.png

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad