Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think this is enough, and considering that the same price was just paid for Marcus Johansen, this NYI fan is pretty happy with the deal. NYI desperately needed to get Otto Koivula out of the lineup - he's simply too slow to play at the NHL level. I imagine Engvall may start off playing center until Pageau is back. Then he could slot on either Horvat's or Pageau's wing.

The other side of this deal is that NYI need to rebuild their bottom-6. Maybe if things work out, they can resign him for something reasonable.
He’ll do well with you especially if he’s on a line with Pageau , my Leafs always need a couple of whipping boys and he was one of them.

He covers a ton of ice and the only knock against him is he doesn’t play with much grit , then again neither did most of the players up until this t/d . Who knows , maybe he ups his physicality playing with a grittier Islanders team , especially with a guy like Martin around that would drop the gloves for him .

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
The one thing with Engvall is that he always acted like a wannabe tough guy. At least with the Islanders, he can act that way and has some backup if challenged.

I'm glad he's gone, but he's definitely not useless.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just like that bum Zach Hyman with his 5 goals in 32 playoff games with the Leafs.

Oh wait.
I am confused do you think Hyman was now good for the Leafs in the playoffs because he had a good playoffs last year in Edmonton? One isn't related to the other, and doesn't change that he didn't perform with us over a number of years for different reasons.

Reactions: Finger Licking Good

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The one thing with Engvall is that he always acted like a wannabe tough guy. At least with the Islanders, he can act that way and has some backup if challenged.

I'm glad he's gone, but he's definitely not useless.

Bro I wish he acted like a wannabe tough guy, this guy never did shit. Stone hands, refused to lay the body. He was probably the most jacked guy in the locker room, 6ft5, soft as a f***ing muffin.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I think this is enough, and considering that the same price was just paid for Marcus Johansen, this NYI fan is pretty happy with the deal. NYI desperately needed to get Otto Koivula out of the lineup - he's simply too slow to play at the NHL level. I imagine Engvall may start off playing center until Pageau is back. Then he could slot on either Horvat's or Pageau's wing.

The other side of this deal is that NYI need to rebuild their bottom-6. Maybe if things work out, they can resign him for something reasonable.
Engvall is exactly the kind of player this Islander team needed. We don't need any more tough guys, checkers, two way players. They simply needed speed and someone who can help with their transition game. Once Leddy left the team no longer looked like the team that made the Eastern Conference Finals because they couldn't get the puck out of the zone. They don't need a goal scorer or even a playmaker just someone who could carry the puck into the O zone with speed. By all accounts this is what this guy brings. Though he does bring in some depth scoring as well.

Here's a good article by The Hockey Writers that emulates exactly Isles fans have been saying these past couple of days in regards to the trade. Hockey Writers

Lou could not emphasize enough about the speed that Engvall brings to the Islanders. “He’s certainly an individual that you’d like to keep in your organization with the style he plays and his speed. I can’t overemphasize his speed.”

The Isles are not about acquiring as many star players as a team can and hope it all works out like the Rangers and Leafs have in recent times. They are about building a balanced team and going far in the playoffs. I would say however that Leaf's acquisition of Schenn was a good move but the team is getting older and older by the trade while the Isles are getting younger and younger. This bodes well for the long term for the Islanders. I have to hand it to Lou. I thought the old guy lost it. He's showing good asset management here with his recent trades.

I think if Lamiorello didn't have connections with Dubas et al. that this trade would have happened at all. Doesn't make any sense for the Leafs. Why help the Isles shore up their weaknesses right before the playoffs or even looking at the long term? Surely they could have found another trade partner in the West.

Last edited:

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Engvall will always cut back. Exiting the zone under pressure? Cut back. Just made the offensive blue line? Cut back against the boards.

One day he'll hopefully learn to put the puck deep to continue plays. Surround him with guys who create space and I can see him being a very solid player for the isles.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Engvall will always cut back. Exiting the zone under pressure? Cut back. Just made the offensive blue line? Cut back against the boards.

One day he'll hopefully learn to put the puck deep to continue plays. Surround him with guys who create space and I can see him being a very solid player for the isles.
That will come down to coaching and teaching.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The leafs players and staff said their farewells to Engvall and Sandin, and aftewards Keefe said, "Those two young men gave us a lot of respect in that farwell."

Leafs fans give you a lot of respect that despite failing for the past 6 months, you're still trying your best with that lame joke,

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Islander fans be like well ok he could be an OK 3rd liner or maybe 4th if he can toughen up. Leafs fans be like he is a flaming pile of dogshit.

Leafs traded a way a cap casualty who probably did not have a 3rd round value fore a 3rd rounder. Islanders taking a gamble.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Watching his only fight that I am aware of it's no wonder he shies away from the rough stuff.

Doesn't like getting hit my mittens. Check
Bounces off opposing players. Check
Swings like school girl. Check

But that's all ok so long as he has a set of wheels he'll do fine. Isles have plenty of tough guys. Lol.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bro I wish he acted like a wannabe tough guy, this guy never did shit. Stone hands, refused to lay the body. He was probably the most jacked guy in the locker room, 6ft5, soft as a f***ing muffin.
He's built for show, not for go. His body's a temple, not a fighting arena.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Ilse fans, Pierre has a go to move, he comes from downlow usually around the face off dot, does a button hook and then shoots against the grain from the high slot and for what ever crazy reason goalies have a bitch of a time with it.

They got those silly interview vids on YouTube there is one where tehy ask who is the biggest gym rat. Almost every player on the Leafs answered Engvall, he's a strong MoFo.

The guy can be quick, he can be hard on the puck, he can also disappear for long stretches.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Engvall sounds like a good fit for that the Isles need. A big body winger with speed will definitely help. Even if he is "soft", he can slot in on any line and play with guys that will provide the grit. We'll see though.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Engvall sounds like a good fit for that the Isles need. A big body winger with speed will definitely help. Even if he is "soft", he can slot in on any line and play with guys that will provide the grit. We'll see though.

He's a good PKer but that's about it. He gets so many scoring chances but doesn't know how to bury them and the softness is gonna drive you nuts, he'll be the biggest guy on the ice but scared to hit a guy like Debrincat

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Anyone who thinks we don't know what we are talking about.. Coach even said it out loud. Dude is soft.

“I would like to see more,” the Maple Leafs coach said Saturday morning of his third-line Swedish winger. “With his size and strength, I’ve talked to him at length about closing plays and being more physical.

“At the same time, I’ve coached him a long time (starting with the AHL Marlies in 2017). You push a player and at times you can see that response, but players resort to who they are. The reality is that (full bore aggressiveness) is not in his nature.

This is actually a very valid point. The leafs didn't have any kind of grit or grind up until the last few deals by Dubas. The entire team was soft as butter. Very easy to push around and they often lost those games. So fans were frustrated with a 6'5 player who is absolutely jacked (wait until you see some locker room footage of the guy) refused to play physical.

I don't blame Engvall for that at all. Leafs knew what he was. I think he ends up being a 20 goal guy with the islanders. He has a nice shot and could be used on the PP with it.

As a leafs fan I hope to see him do well on the Island. I think he'll enjoy living in the New York area.

What on earth is this take. Watch some games for god sakes

Reactions: Acetylene

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad