Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
^

That is exactly the problem with him. He's a great PKer and a fine bottom 6 guy, but you will absolutely lose your shit watching him shy away from corners, puck battles and refusing to lay the body. The fact that he's one of the most physically fit guys in the league makes it that much more frustrating. Great speed, generates decent chances as a bottom 6 guy, good with his stick but like everyone is saying, just the softest guy in the world.

View attachment 662141

I think we both agree and which is why I have been posting that he is probably not suitable for 4th line duty on the Islanders. Too bad Trotz left he might have been able to break his spirit.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's a good player for a bottom 6; goes to the corners and uses his size to win puck battles, good on the cycle, fast straight-line speed.

He's not a hitter, but he doesnt play scared after taking one either. I wouldn't call him soft.
This bud basically exactly what the isles need right now. With the injuries the bottom 6 has featured AHL plugs

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Like many have said, He has size and speed. Good penalty killer. This trade is about fit and need. Leafs needed more physical play. Engvall is not that kind of player.

If given the right role he might suprise.
Perhaps the Isles should give him an opportunity to play on their 2 top lines. See how how it goes.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
3 goals, 1 assist, 4 points, +5 in his last 3 games. Not bad.
Incoming 8x8 extension coming from Lou....

Seriously though, happy Engvall has had a 3 good games, but this is one player I won't miss. Has all the tools but can't put it together. Size, speed, and a good shot. But he plays like a teddy bear, and is super inconsistent.

He had good 3 game stretches in Toronto as well, let's see what fans think in a year time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And still as soft as butter
Who cares? He was traded for a throwaway 3rd rd pick. I will say your characterization is incorrect. He goes into corners and plays in high traffic areas. He doesn't avoid being hit to make a play. He is just not a hitter, a fighter, or a mean player. Not every player can be a Tom Wilson. I am very sure the Isles didn't make the trade to get another Matt Martin or Ross Johnston in the line up.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
looks pretty good so far. Time is a great equalizer. With Hiorvat seemingly winning every face off and this giraffe popping in timely goals adding speed size and youth to the lineup, old man Lou may have done a fine job. Maybe Horvat gets to play with Barzal down the stretch. As mentioned, time is a great equalizer

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
No need to get sad from leafs fans perspective, and no reason to try to “rub” engvalls 6 games in our fans

I’m glad he has done well though, he looked like he could be a middle six winger if he’d just stay engaged every game, but he’d have stretches of doing nothing. He also made some super dumb plays. But he’s got speed, and a decent release and is 6foot5 every day

Last edited by a moderator:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Seriously though, happy Engvall has had a 3 good games, but this is one player I won't miss. Has all the tools but can't put it together. Size, speed, and a good shot. But he plays like a teddy bear, and is super inconsistent.

He had good 3 game stretches in Toronto as well, let's see what fans think in a year time.
I could see this as well. I don’t think anyone is expecting him to score every game and be a physical force. Isles just need him to be steady middle 6 wing that can add offense every now and then and play responsible defensively.

TOR fan’s describe him as soft and I think it’s fair. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad player but he definitely doesn’t play a heavy game you would think by looking at him

extension coming ?

Lou has the 8 years ready to fax

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Goals in 3 straight games. Biscuit looking good!

People have to realize that Engvall had many of these kind of stretches with Toronto. The problem is they didn't last long and he disappears for 20 games after the brief hot streaks.

Just like Sandin, consistency was always the problem. FWIW Sandin was -5 in two games before he got hurt.

Reactions: leafsfan5

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He's a fit for the Isles. The team does not need more Grinders, it needs more speed and skill. He was elevated to a top 6 winger position last night playing with Nelson, who coincidentally is another 6'5 finesse player. And he went 1G+1A last night. Both plays were skilled plays. One a laser pass to Palmieri, the other he used his speed to get open and he finished with a good precise shot. He never has played consistently in the top 6 so we will see if he can produce more consistently on Long Island if he is given the chance to play with Nelson for a prolonged period of time. In Toronto, unless you were playing in the top 6, you need to produce 5 v 5. Playing with an Offensive Black Hole like Kampf, it is hard to be consistent production wise. Yet he still was one of the Leafs more productive bottom 6 players. Again, Engvall is not going to put players through the boards or instigate fights. If he did, he would not be available I am sure. For the minuscule price the Isles payed, I can see this being a good acquisition. They don't need another Matt Martin or Ross Johnston. So the fit is good for Engvall, he gets a chance to show what he can do, and the Isles get some help in an area they need. Less Grinders, more speed and skill for a 3rd rd pick that may or may not play in the NHL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People have to realize that Engvall had many of these kind of stretches with Toronto. The problem is they didn't last long and he disappears for 20 games after the brief hot streaks.

Just like Sandin, consistency was always the problem. FWIW Sandin was -5 in two games before he got hurt.
Again, he was not expected to be nor did he play in the top 6. His Center primarily was David Kampf. If he were playing with Marner and getting Tavares PP mins, then it would be completely justified to cite a lack of consistency production wise. But what exactly does one expect from a 1.25 Cap hit playing with Kampf as your Center with vitually no PP time? To produce consistently at what rate? He put up 15 goals last season, already has 15 this year. For 1.25M in primarlly bottom 6 mins. That's so bad?

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Again, he was not expected to be nor did he play in the top 6. His Center primarily was David Kampf. If he were playing with Marner and getting Tavares PP mins, then it would be completely justified to cite a lack of consistency production wise. But what exactly does one expect from a 1.25 Cap hit playing with Kampf as your Center with vitually no PP time? To produce consistently at what rate? He put up 15 goals last season, already has 15 this year. For 1.25M in primarlly bottom 6 mins. That's so bad?
He frustrated Leafs fans because even though he could skate like the wind and transition play in an instant, he also looked uninterested and wouldn’t hustle consistently. He’s bigger and faster than 90% of the league, but often played soft and small.

That being said. I was upset to see him go. I’ve been beating the “Leafs need scoring depth” drum for ages and he was basically the only bottom 6 player the Leafs had that knew where the back of the net was.

I suppose the Leafs are at the stage where the regular season production and performance isn’t of primary concern, so I get it as Engvall has shown to be a poor playoff performer. Acquiring ROR, Acciari, and Lafferty brings more of the elements the team lacked in the post season in previous years. With ROR injured, the lack of scoring depth has continued to be a problem for the Leafs.

I definitely think Engvall is an asset to any NHL team, especially at his cap hit. Good trade for the Isles.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He frustrated Leafs fans because even though he could skate like the wind and transition play in an instant, he also looked uninterested and wouldn’t hustle consistently. He’s bigger and faster than 90% of the league, but often played soft and small.

That being said. I was upset to see him go. I’ve been beating the “Leafs need scoring depth” drum for ages and he was basically the only bottom 6 player the Leafs had that knew where the back of the net was.

I suppose the Leafs are at the stage where the regular season production and performance isn’t of primary concern, so I get it as Engvall has shown to be a poor playoff performer. Acquiring ROR, Acciari, and Lafferty brings more of the elements the team lacked in the post season in previous years. With ROR injured, the lack of scoring depth has continued to be a problem for the Leafs.

I definitely think Engvall is an asset to any NHL team, especially at his cap hit. Good trade for the Isles.
Appreciate the candor. I really mean this, if The Leafs had somehow found a way to keep their depth players. And they had a lot of quality depth. Kadri, Hyman, Brown, even when they acquired Mcann. They had Matt Martin and gave him away. I could see this team winning the cup. I agree 100% you need your depth players in the playoffs. What could have been I suppose. Sure Engvall could have produced more in the playoffs, but I am not sure this is the reason the Leafs have failed. Maybe the coach could double shift Marner with Engvall, Sorry I don't see Kampf productive even if he played with Marner. But Engvall there is certainly a chance to produce if he played a smidgeon with Marner.

Reactions: MoreMogilny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad