Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Not sure why Engvall gets the hate. He's actually very good and will be a solid addition on the Islanders. He was redundant on the Leafs but still, very good PKer and fast skater
I like this trade. Fits exactly with the Isle's make-up of relatively unremarkable but hardworking players who individually don't exactly turn heads but put on a team with a "team first" mentality can become important cogs of a well oiled playoff machine. A team that stays off the radar during the regular season but can become a beast come playoffs. The Isles don't need any more hitters. They need youth and speed and players who can carry the puck. A tall, fast, lanky player with a long reach can create havoc for the fast players now dominating the top teams by simply getting in their way and shadowing them. I think this guy fits the bill. A little odd though that the Leafs would trade with the Islanders. If the Islanders make it into the playoffs they just added one more piece that could make it difficult for a team like the Leafs. (but that's assuming the Leafs make it past the first round which we all know how that works- typical Leaf arrogance to think they don't have to worry about a team like the Isles. How about making it past the first round before celebrating eh? We've been through this song and dance before. "It's our year, look how good we are!" )

Last edited:

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Wasn’t your fanbase pushing him like he’s some unreal bottom 6 player to over inflate his value? Not quite what was pushed about Kerfoot but still pretty bad.

No, no one has been pushing him as an amazing 3rd line with unbelievable value.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Meh… at the very least it allows for some awesome dad jokes about Great Neck, Long Island.

Reactions: canary

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
And soft isn’t a problem with the isles, we have too much beef and grit we need more soft
Exactly. We need speed and puck carriers. This team misses Nick Leddy big time. If the player can just carry the puck into the O zone with speed this is a good acquisition for the Isles.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'll be nice on Engvall.
He's big, skates very well and is responsible...
He'll pot some goals here and there, prototypical 3rd liner. (Maybe 4th)

He just doesn't have "IT" and can guarentee every coach has had the same convo with him. "If only you used your size!"

I liked Bill (Engvall) lol. But not overly upset he's gone.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Leafs are gonna be a brand new team in no time.
Already are , so much for the Dubas " New NHL " the Leafs now officially have nobody drafted by Dubas on their active roster . Robertson on LTIR is the only NHLer drafted by Dubas and he's still on his ELC .

Reactions: um

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Exactly. We need speed and puck carriers. This team misses Nick Leddy big time. If the player can just carry the puck into the O zone with speed this is a good acquisition for the Isles.
I was thinking last week would love to have Leddy back to carry the puck. Toooo much money and term on Leddy's contract though(and NO one will ever accuse Leddy of being physical). Hopefully Engvall can fill the void.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I'll be nice on Engvall.
He's big, skates very well and is responsible...
He'll pot some goals here and there, prototypical 3rd liner. (Maybe 4th)

He just doesn't have "IT" and can guarentee every coach has had the same convo with him. "If only you used your size!"

I liked Bill (Engvall) lol. But not overly upset he's gone.
But wouldn't one also say that the entire Leafs team doesn't have "it" when they predictably implode every first round of the playoffs?

Isn't that what every coach would say?

It's coming. You know it is. I think every arena should have a dedicated "kiss and cry" area for Leaf players during the playoffs just like they do for the other figure skaters.

Reactions: xECK29x

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
His softness despite his size can be infuriating but I'll miss Engvall. He's lanky and as fast as the wind. Great on the cycle because no one can reach the puck at the end of his 10 foot long stick.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Good luck to the Giraffe in Long Island
EEBE1D05-D13C-4731-A2FA-7E64741E5F0F.jpeg

Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Don’t like this as a Leafs fan. Yeah, Engvall is soft, especially for his size, but he’s a great skater, strong defensively, a really good possession driver, and has underrated puck skills. His combo of skating and size/reach makes him a very disruptive players. Would rather have kept Engvall, traded guys like Kerfoot and ZAR.

I think he’ll do well on the Isles.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
But wouldn't one also say that the entire Leafs team doesn't have "it" when they predictably implode every first round of the playoffs?

Isn't that what every coach would say?

It's coming. You know it is. I think every arena should have a dedicated "kiss and cry" area for Leaf players during the playoffs just like they do for the other figure skaters.

I mean the bright side of this deal for the Isles is that you won't have to see Engvall's downsides in the playoffs seeing as you aren't making them.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I mean it's abnormal to make this much of a shake up to a roster in a matter of a week. That's certainly an extra effort.

They need cap space for Murray and upgraded an already good team. I don't see the issue, and don't see it as any more than a GM doing their job.

I guess he could have sat on his hands and get called out for doing nothing.

Not sure why Engvall gets the hate. He's actually very good and will be a solid addition on the Islanders. He was redundant on the Leafs but still, very good PKer and fast skater
As long as you don't expect him to do anything with the puck or add physicality beyond a snow shower he's not bad. Strong puck possession that kills the clock, but not much else.

Don’t like this as a Leafs fan. Yeah, Engvall is soft, especially for his size, but he’s a great skater, strong defensively, a really good possession driver, and has underrated puck skills. His combo of skating and size/reach makes him a very disruptive players. Would rather have kept Engvall, traded guys like Kerfoot and ZAR.

I think he’ll do well on the Isles.

I'd take ZAR over Engvall everyday if the week and twice on Sunday.

I also agree Kerfoot can go, he is redundant on the Leafs and shouldn't be on a 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad