Confirmed Trade: [NYI/TOR] Pierre Engvall for 2024 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Kind of funny in the other Leafs trade threads a big point was made of how impressive it was that Dubas didn't give anyone up off the roster when he traded with STL and CHI. Now that he IS trading pieces off the roster due to the cap problems from the earlier trades the Leafs fans are celebrating anyway.

Sandin is basically their weakest depth prospect and got back a first while Engvall is nothing special. He's the equivalent of us dumping Hoffman.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Admire Dubas doing everything he humanly can to try and extend his position as GM

You mean to win. It's his job to win and if this is how he feels that achieved it is what it is.

Pretty pathetic that Dubas only does stuff to save his job, while GMs just get to make trades to get better.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
You mean to win. It's his job to win and if this is how he feels that achieved it is what it is.

Pretty pathetic that Dubas only does stuff to save his job, while GMs just get to make trades to get better.

He's made like 6-7 trades this week. Obviously a GM does what they can to win. But the amount of hours that have had to go into this and moving pieces is what i was commenting on.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Don't really understand what the Isles are angling for here. I mean, Engvall is a decent Bottom-6 forward, and a 3rd isn't really too far off the typical "going rate" for good depth like that at the deadline. But is a bottom-6 forward really what the Isles needed at this point?

Also not sure why the Leafs are "selling off" solid depth like this. When typically, you see teams start to stack up layers of these types of versatile depth guys.
They are angling for replacing injured bottom-6ers with NHL players instead of AHL players in the middle of a playoff push.

If Engvall is as you describe, then he's exactly what the Isles need, even if it's not their most pressing need.

Reactions: biturbo19

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He's made like 6-7 trades this week. Obviously a GM does what they can to win. But the amount of hours that have had to go into this and moving pieces is what i was commenting on.
It's not just you, it's a common comment from many non-Leafs fans. It's litterally his job. I guess that's an attempt to keep his job, the same way it is for Marner to play hockey and a garbage man to collect garbage.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Not sure why Engvall gets the hate. He's actually very good and will be a solid addition on the Islanders. He was redundant on the Leafs but still, very good PKer and fast skater

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Islanders fans are gonna love his predictable button hook that turns into nothing in the o-zone.

Reactions: smitty10

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It's not just you, it's a common comment from many non-Leafs fans. It's litterally his job. I guess that's an attempt to keep his job, the same way it is for Marner to play hockey and a garbage man to collect garbage.

I mean it's abnormal to make this much of a shake up to a roster in a matter of a week. That's certainly an extra effort.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I just remember every team having too much turnover mid season imploding like this in the playoffs other than Colorado last year. Who to their credit targeted absolutely perfect players for the holes they had.
We traded our 7th d man and maybe a 4th liner not huge turnover

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Good bye you long necked giraffe. You were very bad in playoffs and terrible defensively. My most hated leaf after Holl

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Isles lack speed and to a lesser extent size and skill with their wingers.

I hate Lou trading high level assets but cmon now it’s only a third round pick to fill a much needed hole in the roster. Worth a flier.

I don’t mind Leafs’ fans debating the merits of this deal but hearing the dead sure pronouncements of others who really don’t know either team too well is priceless. And yes, I mean Rangers’ fans.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
After adding Schenn (I don't know why), the Leafs had to clear cap space. So Engvall is out.

I don't like it Engvall. He's a useful bottom-six player. He can provide speed, forechecking, and PK utility. They dumped him so Schenn can sit in the press box.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Isles lack speed and to a lesser extent size and skill with their wingers.

I hate Lou trading high level assets but cmon now it’s only a third round pick to fill a much needed hole in the roster. Worth a flier.

I don’t mind Leafs’ fans debating the merits of this deal but hearing the dead sure pronouncements of others who really don’t know either team too well is priceless. And yes, I mean Rangers’ fans.

Honestly it's just a weird deal because of how much the opposite Engvall is to the way the Isles play. He's like the anti-Komarov, has all the physical traits you want with none of the brains or attitude. If you put Leo's brain in Engvall's body he'd be worth multiple times the Jeannot package.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So happy that he's moved out! So frustrating to watch. Skilled, huge, fast. Unfortunately he's soft, makes predictable puck decisions and only plays at a medium speed.

He has all the tools. Just doesn't use them.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Oh I don't think you are.

Engvall would be like if someone was intentionally mocking how Barzal plays by being over the top and exaggerated about his curl backs.
As long as he kills penalties and plays good defensively in his own end I’ll be happy. We’re playing plugs now because of injuries

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As long as he kills penalties and plays good defensively in his own end I’ll be happy. We’re playing plugs now because of injuries
For the record, I don't actually think he's a bad player. He's actually pretty good when he's on his game and using his speed to beat defenders to the outside and driving to the net.

I just think he's hilarious because I've never seen a player make it so obvious and be so deliberate in how they curl back. Every player does it on occasion, but Engvall just seems to do it in such a robotic and over the top obvious manner.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad