Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ryan Pulock signs extension with the Islanders (8 years, $6.15M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I see a very similar path by Lou as Lombardi in LA, Rutherford in PIT, and Bowman in CHI. The obsession with a successful roster and extension of what has happened versus what will moving forward.

Boston seems to be one of the few franchises that is cutthroat when it comes to that stuff. Lou used to be in the 90s. But as I alluded to he did some weird stuff since the 2012 Devils run.

Lou moved out Leddy and Eberle just this past off season, in order to potentially improve in the short and long term. That tells me he is focused on the present while also keeping an eye on the future.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
My original post was this:

It is good now. At the same time the Isles are setting up to be New Jersey circa 2013 - 2020 in a few years with their cap situation.

I guess if Raty and Dobson add up that helps them out, but lots of money to players that are great right now, but not necessarily on the best aging curves.

That is all my point has ever been.
or pittsburgh right now.

pittsburgh biggest contracts are assigned to players past their primes, which don't perform (mostly because of injury) up to their contract numbers.

that's simply the nature of the business. you can't content forever. mainly because core pieces are signed over longer contracts to get their current aav down. every team does this. and you can be a homer about your pittsburgh players as much as you want, but the islanders have been the better po team the last two seasons. they went twice to the conference finals and you shouldn't fault them to try to go for it despite the dominance of the lightning.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
It has been your point in several threads. When you repeat things over and over again, you give the perception of having a grudge you are carrying. Again, name me a successful team that has not had a drop like those Devils teams. Lou is not unique in this way. All teams eventually have to rebuild other than teams that are happy to perpetually be a 6-10 seed who get knocked out of the 1st round every year in the best case scenario.

The bottom line is, if you have a chance to win it all, you go for it. You don't sign shorter term high $ contracts which screws you from keeping your roster together. Do I have to list off the teams with similar paths in the past not named Lou's Devils? Blackhawks? Sharks? Rangers? Kings? Red Wings!!!??? As Islanders fans, your 2013-2020 Devils example is laughable. Try 1989-2018 without much at all to cheer for. 2013-2020? If we get a championship, we will happily take a down period like that. We know what suffering is like as fans and will gladly suffer again if it means we get a cup again.
the devils situation is unique, as lou tried (was mandated by ownership to stay profitable) to contend way longer than rationally possible. the 2012 finals appearance was a fluke and masked the reality, that the devils should have started their rebuild two or three years prior. once ownership and management changed the devils had no valuable assets on the roster, nearly no prospect pool and no extra draft picks. so restocking the cupboard just took forever.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
or pittsburgh right now.

pittsburgh biggest contracts are assigned to players past their primes, which don't perform (mostly because of injury) up to their contract numbers.

that's simply the nature of the business. you can't content forever. mainly because core pieces are signed over longer contracts to get their current aav down. every team does this. and you can be a homer about your pittsburgh players as much as you want, but the islanders have been the better po team the last two seasons. they went twice to the conference finals and you shouldn't fault them to try to go for it despite the dominance of the lightning.

What? lol. Yah Crosby, Letang and Malkin don't perform.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
For the 100th time. Pulock and Pelech are not the deals I’m addressing.

What I’m addressing is Lou giving out high term deals.

You pretty much are, given that those, plus Cizikas, are the only “high term” deals the Islanders have.

Lee and Pageau have 5 years remaining and everyone else has 4 years or fewer remaining.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
or pittsburgh right now.

I think Rutherford did an absolutely terrible job managing this team’s cap situation.

Much like Crosby, Letang and Malkin, Pulock, Pelech and Barzal will not be the issues with the cap in NYI.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I don’t think resigning anyone will be an issue. I think having 20+ mil in a bunch of 30 to 30+ guys like Lee, Palms, Bailey, and Nelson is the issue.
I don't. They're all paid market value, all perform and aren't going to be paid in their twilight years except for Lee. I think they all expire at age 34.

And if they aren't blocking anyone from being a cap casualty, I got no issues.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The maximum contract length is 8. The minimum is 1. Do the math on what an average length looks like.
That's not how averages work. Just because max term is 8 and min is 1 doesn't mean the average is 4.5. There are a lot more 1-4 year deals than 5-8 year deals.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Some of the negative things I saw written about Pulock in his draft year just look absurd now.

I know that can be said for a lot of players, but for some reason it sticks out to me with him.

Reactions: SI90

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I don't. They're all paid market value, all perform and aren't going to be paid in their twilight years except for Lee. I think they all expire at age 34.

And if they aren't blocking anyone from being a cap casualty, I got no issues.

Even Anders will only be 35 when his contract expires... July birthday

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
4-5 years is a long time. Especially considering the majority of those players are 30+.

Pageau is 28. Nelson is 29. Palmieri just turned 30. Of the top 9 forwards, only 3 are over 30 and 1 of those is Parise who is a 1 yr rental.

The other two... yes, Anders is 31 and Bailey is 32, but its a strong possibility that in 3 years, Anders is still the captain, and the LW3 and PP guy playing the role Krieder SHOULD be playing this year for the Rangers, and Bailey is retired or on the 3rd line on a team friendly contract. And the cap should be going up again a few years from now, and these locked in deals at $5 and $6m AAV will look better.

At the end of the day, HF Boards guys would love having a whole team of 24 yr olds, but most years, you're not contending for a Cup with that kind of roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad