Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ryan Pulock signs extension with the Islanders (8 years, $6.15M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I don’t think resigning anyone will be an issue. I think having 20+ mil in a bunch of 30 to 30+ guys like Lee, Palms, Bailey, and Nelson is the issue.

And so we might be in cap hell for a year or two as these contracts expire if their skills start going downhill? Hard to see how that is a real problem compared to some of the more worse cap strapped teams out there. You act as though they have a bunch of mid-30's players on 4-5 year contracts.

The funny part is you do not worry about the contracts of Pelech and Pulock which take them to age 35 but are worried about these other guys when their contracts only take them to 34-35 max. Lee is the closest thing they have to a longer term (5 years remaining) contract which could strap them a bit. Calling out Bailey's contract is comical. He has shown no decline whatsoever and has only 3 years left. Nelson also at worst may start declining maybe in the last year of his contract - the dude is in his prime and has only 4 years left. Not really worried about Palmieri either. He is only 30 - last year wasn't a decline but a guy in a crap situation that then had to adjust to switching teams. He will thrive playing with Barzal and Lee.

All this said, which contending team do you think does a good job with long-term cap management? And you never answered who your team is but only said Lou never GMed your team - sure sign of a guy purposely avoiding the question. Guys who come with no agenda have no problem answering a simple question like "who is your team?"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
And so we might be in cap hell for a year or two as these contracts expire if their skills start going downhill? Hard to see how that is a real problem compared to some of the more worse cap strapped teams out there. You act as though they have a bunch of mid-30's players on 4-5 year contracts. The funny part is you do not worry about the contreacts of elech and Pulock which take them to35 but are worried about these other guys when their contracts only take them to 34-35 max. Lee ia s the closest thing they have to a longer term (5 years remaining) contract which could strap them a bit. Calling out Bailey's contract is comical. He has shown no decline whatsoever and has only 3 years left. Nelson also at worst may start declining maybe in the last year of his contract - the dude is in his prime and has only 4 years left. Not really worried about Palmieri either. He is only 30 - last year wasn't a decline but a guy in a crap situation that then had to adjust to switching teams. He will thrive playing with Barzal and Lee.

All this said, which contending team do you think does a good job with long-term cap management? And you never answered who your team is but only said Lou never GMed your team - sure sign of a guy purposely avoiding the question. Guys who come with no agenda have no problem answering a simple question like "who is your team?"

I already said Boston. Tampa and the Avalanche until this summer come to mind.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I mean, Crosby is hardly gonna miss any games lol. Malkin is well, made of glass, but he plays when it matters.
if malkin only plays half the games and still counts with his full aav against the cap, he does not perform up to his contract.
with older stars you pay the price for a lot of short off-seasons. and even with ltir money available you can't use the cap space for another 8m player unless, you have a kucherov case.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Why would I have a grudge?

Good question. Obviously because Isles are ascending and Pitt is declining, which happens eventually to all good teams, but you seem to be particularly bitter about it. Hilarious that you're spending this much time and effort railing about another team signing their own player. Do yourself a favor and don't let the negativity consume you. It's not healthy.

oh, and.......LET'S GO ISLANDERS.

Reactions: cavs and PWJunior

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Good question. Obviously because Isles are ascending and Pitt is declining, which happens eventually to all good teams, but you seem to be particularly bitter about it. Hilarious that you're spending this much time and effort railing about another team signing their own player. Do yourself a favor and don't let the negativity consume you. It's not healthy.

oh, and.......LET'S GO ISLANDERS.

I've been watching the Penguins for 30+ years. I could care less about the Isles. They definitely are a thorn in the Penguins side, but I've watched my team lift 5 cups in my life time and seen the Isles raise 0.

This is the public forum for contract discussions. I don't get why fans think everything should be only team centered here.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
if malkin only plays half the games and still counts with his full aav against the cap, he does not perform up to his contract.
with older stars you pay the price for a lot of short off-seasons. and even with ltir money available you can't use the cap space for another 8m player unless, you have a kucherov case.

Don't really care about the regular season. They play great without Malkin anyway. He shows up when it matters.

Plus the whole upside of his contract was for long term control, which allowed us to win 2 cups on his current contract.

Also, it's the last year of his deal, so it's not like we are stuck with him if he falls off because of injury.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I already said Boston. Tampa and the Avalanche until this summer come to mind.

Colorado is just earlier in the process. Let's see where they stand after they need to extend some upcoming free agents.

Tampa is not in that great of shape. They just throw whatever they want on LTIR to hide it and circumvent the cap all the time. Lou will do the same when the time comes. Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, McDonagh, Vasilevskiy, Seabrook on LTIR - all have long-term deals by your definition. Not that these are bad deals, but they strap up a TON of cap space and they have a ton of contracts coming up in the next couple of years.

Boston does do it well.

To me, the message I am getting from you is not really about term, but more about term for level of talent. You think term should only be used on top stars. Pelech/Pulock - top pair defenders - term is fine. Bailey-Nelson-Lee-Palmieri - term not worth it because you don't think they are up to that level. If that is the case, that is where we disagree. Isles are not built on top talent but on strong 1-4 lines. I would personally rather a full team of solid talent than a team of superstars surrounded by fill-ins. Colorado has both because they are early in the process and have made some shrewd moves but their time of reckoning will be coming soon. Tampa has gotten away with some stuff manipulating the cap to have top talent and depth. Boston struggled with depth last year. It is tough to have both. It is easier to have less players on term though when you just give top players term. However, that doesn't mean you are in a better cap position - those top players take up as much if not more than the Isles having the depth that they do.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Even Anders will only be 35 when his contract expires... July birthday

This is what I don’t get with your posts @Gurglesons, You state that the Pelech and Pulock deals are great, and it’s not about them. But rather other contracts…

But I don’t see these contracts that you’re talking about. Every player signed long term is staggered to end their contract at 35 or younger.

It seems that you have a perception that the Isles are weighed down by the likes of Komarov for three or so more years. Or, you’re basing your comments more on Lou’s past reputation.

Nelson, Pageau, Palmieri, Lee and Bailey… none of them are underperforming their deals, all of them signed for less or at market value, all are 28-32 years of age.

But I guess we’ll ultimately see how it will all transpire. Personally I’m very pleased with the cap structure the Isles have in place.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Colorado is just earlier in the process. Let's see where they stand after they need to extend some upcoming free agents.

Tampa is not in that great of shape. They just throw whatever they want on LTIR to hide it and circumvent the cap all the time. Lou will do the same when the time comes. Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, McDonagh, Vasilevskiy, Seabrook on LTIR - all have long-term deals by your definition. Not that these are bad deals, but they strap up a TON of cap space and they have a ton of contracts coming up in the next couple of years.

Boston does do it well.

To me, the message I am getting from you is not really about term, but more about term for level of talent. You think term should only be used on top stars. Pelech/Pulock - top pair defenders - term is fine. Bailey-Nelson-Lee-Palmieri - term not worth it because you don't think they are up to that level. If that is the case, that is where we disagree. Isles are not built on top talent but on strong 1-4 lines. I would personally rather a full team of solid talent than a team of superstars surrounded by fill-ins. Colorado has both because they are early in the process and have made some shrewd moves but their time of reckoning will be coming soon. Tampa has gotten away with some stuff manipulating the cap to have top talent and depth. Boston struggled with depth last year. It is tough to have both. It is easier to have less players on term though when you just give top players term. However, that doesn't mean you are in a better cap position - those top players take up as much if not more than the Isles having the depth that they do.

Yeah, that is a good way to put it.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Great contract but not sure its a steal unless you are trying to claim that he left millions on the table. “You could get $8m per!”, “Nah, I’ll take $6.15.”

More than likely he got what he could get like everyone else.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Great contract but not sure its a steal unless you are trying to claim that he left millions on the table. “You could get $8m per!”, “Nah, I’ll take $6.15.”

I’m confident he would have been offered $7.5-$8 million AAV by a few teams if he went to free agency. A 27 year old right handed top pair defenseman who has deep playoff experience. He would Have gotten paid and possibly over paid just like most free agents. He definitely left money on the table.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It’s a good deal for the Isles. Ekholm got $100k more in his AAV for a 4 year deal that begins at 32. While Puloch is doing 8 years starting at age 28. Based on his age would have expected something at least matching Parayko at $6.5 mill.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I’m confident he would have been offered $7.5-$8 million AAV by a few teams if he went to free agency. A 27 year old right handed top pair defenseman who has deep playoff experience. He would Have gotten paid and possibly over paid just like most free agents. He definitely left money on the table.

That’s kind of my point. Its a good deal because the Islanders were lucky enough to have a good player committed to staying, not because of some negotiation miracle that Lou pulled off.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
That’s kind of my point. Its a good deal because the Islanders were lucky enough to have a good player committed to staying, not because of some negotiation miracle that Lou pulled off.
Even looking at it that way, Lou should still get credit for helping to build a team atmosphere that Pulock wanted to stay a part of so badly that he left money on the table. Which is more than just luck, IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad