Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Pierre Engvall re-signs with the Islanders (7 years, $3M AAV)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
That was a different owner and different GM. Has no relevance
New management seems to be continuing the tradition. But hey if you guys are happy with locking up mediocre players forever good for you.

No, it's about Engvall . . . not DiPietro

Now go back to rooting for the team that couldn't beat the Blackhawks to make the postseason and we'll worry about our team
This is the public board. Go to the isles board if you want only positive comments.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
New management seems to be continuing the tradition. But hey if you guys are happy with locking up mediocre players forever good for you.

This is the public board. Go to the isles board if you want only positive comments.
And there's a few rules about trolling you might want to familiarize yourself with . . . like dragging a RETIRED player into a discussion thread about a player who just signed a new contract . . .

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Shows a long line of poor decisions
By no one currently involved with the organization. Charles Wang (Not Garth Snow), who negotiated the deal directly with DiPietro is no longer owner or alive. Charles Wang was more interested in cheap PR than actual hockey substance.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ah yes the top of the mountain, the ecf. Good for you guys. Not sure why you're bringing the penguins into every post.
Well our history with the old ownership and GM who signed that contract we weren’t able to beat the pens in those days. Now it’s been pretty much a breeze against them.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
These are my favorite kind of deals, huge term and little money. I have no idea how in any bananaworld situation either the GM or the player agrees on these :scared:

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Ah, I remember when Isles used to get dragged on here as the place no one wanted to sign or stay. Now they get dragged because everyone wants to stay. This contract is the least of my worries out of what we did yesterday. The Mayfield one though....woof, not about it.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I think signing 3rd liners for more than 2 or 3 years max is generally a bad idea.

It's not even that the player's performance or effort will decline. It's more that often teams will find themselves down the road looking to cut a little cap and insert a cheaper younger player into that lineup slot.
I think there is a lot of value in year over year turnover. I don't understand signing unremarkable players to remarkable term. It's easier o move them in and out than the higher profile guys, so why attach a term anchor? Don't fall in love with average talent.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Ah, I remember when Isles used to get dragged on here as the place no one wanted to sign or stay. Now they get dragged because everyone wants to stay. This contract is the least of my worries out of what we did yesterday. The Mayfield one though....woof, not about it.
You’d think based on how people talk about the Isles, it’s still ran by Milbury and owned by John Spano.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
What if Engvall and Lou agreed on 2 years, but with Lou's messy writing, the league thought it looked like a 7 when they received the paperwork?

• Haha
Reactions: DRAGO 18

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not sure I am a fan of the term, only saving grace is Engvall is 27 now so it's not like signing a 30 year old to 7 years. But I am not really sure Islander got any special discount signing him to 7 compared to 5 or 6 and there is a huge risk of just injuries hitting him near the end of that deal.
"Not sure..."

.... Sure. :laugh:

Reactions: Auston Escobar

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I think signing 3rd liners for more than 2 or 3 years max is generally a bad idea.

It's not even that the player's performance or effort will decline. It's more that often teams will find themselves down the road looking to cut a little cap and insert a cheaper younger player into that lineup slot.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where a $3M player is causing cap hardship, today, much less 4 years in the future.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I liked him but he was playing in a contract year so that is always skewed in a players favor, have a feeling this is going to be less than favorable when all is said and done

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
saw all the posts on this thread and wanted to check it out, disappointed to see the posts are about all sorts of nonsense, nothing about engvall…

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

We have that covered.

Lou trades away most of our draft picks so there are no young players on cheap contracts to fill the void.

Winning!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad