Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] F Pierre Engvall re-signs with the Islanders (7 years, $3M AAV)

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
They just signed David Kampf. If Engvall is a 4th liner, Kampf must be an AHL healthy scratch for comparison.
Engvall is a bottom 6 winger, but could be so much more. He has the tools to be great, however he lacks the toolbox and drive to do so. Engvall is a frustrating player to watch. His decision making is spotty and he is very inconsistent.

Not sure why this is relevant, but Kampf is a 4C on a very deep team, 3C on a middle of the pack team. He's a very good 4C though. Defensively great, can contribute on offense from time to time. He's a very smart player who can play a shutdown role against many of the best in the league. With special teams included he can play good 14-15 mins/game.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Why would you invest 21 million dollars and seven years in a guy like this? Bizarre.
I'm an Engvall guy. He's a very useful middle-six winger. He gets the puck from your end to the opposition end and has a little bit of finish. Perfectly fine player.

But the contract is truly bizarre. The guys he signed today will probably be on the roster after Lou dies.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Eng all could be more, but refuses to use his size. Holds the puck forever and does nothing with it.
islanders fan here . While many fans of the blue and orange feel he is underrated I agree 1,000,000 percent with the Noble one.
The Isles are built with dump and chase guys and Engvall is one of only maybe 3-4 that can skate it up the ice so he is viewed as
pretty good . Oleg Kvasha and PA Parenteau had a baby and it’s this guy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean, he's an alright bottom-6 utility player...

But i don't think you're supposed to sign guys like this to 7-year security contracts. :laugh:

Feels like Lou is fully adopting a strategy of, "3-years from now i'll be retired to the Maldives sipping Mai Tais on the beach, what do i care what term you want? Take whatever. That's somebody else's problem."

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It's a 4 to 5 year deal spread over 7 years to reduce the annual hit. Easy to get rid of the last years when the time comes.

Reactions: 12Dog

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'd happily have Engvall on my team for half that AAV and for a 7th of the term.

But 3x7? That's idiotic.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
At this point, I expect all deals given by Lou to be 7-8 years deal. Chances are at this point that most deals will outlive him.

Engvall is definitely not the type of guy I would give 7 years to. At least not at a 3m AAV. Unless I'm missing something, Engvall is serviceable but not the kind that is irreplaceable. If you draft well, you can get ELC/RFA guys that do the same job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad