North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Is there a market for Mathurin? Would you move him for a '06 dman and a couple conditionals? He's proven he can't get thru a full season. Missed more games than he's played.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Is there a market for Mathurin? Would you move him for a '06 dman and a couple conditionals? He's proven he can't get thru a full season. Missed more games than he's played.

When he's healthy he's a shut down beast

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That'd make our D pretty bare next year when it comes to veterans. I don't think the return would be worth it considering the injury history.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
To me, you guys either need to buy hard or sell hard this year.

Standing pat should not be the option.

You lose Nelson, divinctiis, christopolous, ertel after this season that’ll be some pretty damn good guys lost.

Not to mention always the chance of losing wakely due to getting picked up from an ahl team/draft re entry.

Has anyone heard anything here about the direction the team may go?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To me, you guys either need to buy hard or sell hard this year.

Standing pat should not be the option.

You lose Nelson, divinctiis, christopolous, ertel after this season that’ll be some pretty damn good guys lost.

Not to mention always the chance of losing wakely due to getting picked up from an ahl team/draft re entry.

Has anyone heard anything here about the direction the team may go?
This is my concern because we've done it in the past. IIRC Justin Brazeau's final year was a write-off year and they chose to hold onto him. Mike Amadio, too. And it results in a very lackluster playoff run followed by a stunted rebuild.

Discounting the team's inaugural season in North Bay, their most competitive team was last season's and it was a team stocked with NHL prospects. You have to replace the ones that graduate.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This is my concern because we've done it in the past. IIRC Justin Brazeau's final year was a write-off year and they chose to hold onto him. Mike Amadio, too. And it results in a very lackluster playoff run followed by a stunted rebuild.

Discounting the team's inaugural season in North Bay, their most competitive team was last season's and it was a team stocked with NHL prospects. You have to replace the ones that graduate.
100% agree. Could see you guys winning a round but then getting upset in round 2 then losing all those 4 would be a huge loss for next year. Next year you guys are really set up though you’re only really losing those 4 I think. If you traded even half those guys to help for next year you’d be in a really good spot

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I think the best NB Battalion team was the 2nd year. Everything just fell into place perfectly for Oshawa that year. They were too much for any team imo.

I would be shocked if Abott allowed the team to be intentionally irrelavent two years in a row. The Battalion can sell (lots) next year.
With 20 picks in the upcoming draft and plenty of 2006-07, it really is not imperative to sell now.
Abott is among the most informed owners in the league, I am sure he knows this; Barrie will have its own OAs and a dozen or more 2005-06, Kingston and Missassaga could be disgustingly loaded, Brantford and Oshawa have 2-‘06 first round picks and an ‘05 all-star, and believe or not Niagara is on track.
The Battalion cannot reasonably expect to compete next season, no matter how much they sell now.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the best NB Battalion team was the 2nd year. Everything just fell into place perfectly for Oshawa that year. They were too much for any team imo.

I would be shocked if Abott allowed the team to be intentionally irrelavent two years in a row. The Battalion can sell (lots) next year.
With 20 picks in the upcoming draft and plenty of 2006-07, it really is not imperative to sell now.
Abott is among the most informed owners in the league, I am sure he knows this; Barrie will have its own OAs and a dozen or more 2005-06, Kingston and Missassaga could be disgustingly loaded, Brantford and Oshawa have 2-‘06 first round picks and an ‘05 all-star, and believe or not Niagara is on track.
The Battalion cannot reasonably expect to compete next season, no matter how much they sell now.
Nine NHL prospects, over +100 goal differential and the majority of the year in the CHL Top Ten. Last year's team was in a position to contend for a Memorial Cup. No other team in the Battalion's time in North Bay has had that kind of quality depth or those kinds of statistics.

Rebuilding doesn't take a single year to turn around. It's going to take a few years to get to competitor status again. But you don't get to that elite level without finding your top talent. It's not realistic to expect that to just come through the draft. Especially in a Northern market where they have to weigh the possibility that certain prospects will refuse to report.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
Nine NHL prospects, over +100 goal differential and the majority of the year in the CHL Top Ten. Last year's team was in a position to contend for a Memorial Cup. No other team in the Battalion's time in North Bay has had that kind of quality depth or those kinds of statistics.

Rebuilding doesn't take a single year to turn around. It's going to take a few years to get to competitor status again. But you don't get to that elite level without finding your top talent. It's not realistic to expect that to just come through the draft. Especially in a Northern market where they have to weigh the possibility that certain prospects will refuse to report.
Stats aside I disagree. The best all around team was year 2. Last season’s team lacked character imo. The older guys checked out.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015

You would think that after owning a team for over 25 years Mr. A. would want to do absolutely everything possible to have at least one Memorial Cup appearance before he goes to that big luxury suite in the sky.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Bloom would have been a great trade chip if he is returning to the O. Would the battalion have been required to release his rights? Would be silly to give him up for free while holding the rights for Zito after he went home after training camp

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bloom would have been a great trade chip if he is returning to the O. Would the battalion have been required to release his rights? Would be silly to give him up for free while holding the rights for Zito after he went home after training camp
:laugh:

Meanwhile the team that beat us in the playoffs is rebuilding on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad