North Bay Battalion 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The hand of Ertel obviously had not healed. He was just not able to handle the puck the way he did prior to broken bones and the way he is this season.
Zito was probably never really healthy either seeming to miss a game or two every four or five games.
OK. Bloom was still the more prominent prospect considering draft pedigree, contract status and previous production.

He's going to go to Saginaw and score these year. A lot.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
OK. Bloom was still the more prominent prospect considering draft pedigree, contract status and previous production.

He's going to go to Saginaw and score these year. A lot.
Do or die for him. All of the postives you mention and he can’t crack an ECHL roster?

When do we get our picks back for the Fantilli trade?
11th I believe
The four conditional picks are the Owen Sound Attack’s third-rounder in 2023, the Kingston Frontenacs’ second-rounder in 2024, Saginaw’s fourth-rounder in 2024 and North Bay’s second-round selection in 2025.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Do or die for him. All of the postives you mention and he can’t crack an ECHL roster?
Pro hockey is a different challenge. Lots of former Troops have a tough time adjusting in that first year.

Mind you, not really pumping him as an NHL prospect. For a guy that went that high and got signed, his trajectory kind of fell off. Not surprised he got traded.

190 is almost 206

Nov 11, 2022
Pro hockey is a different challenge. Lots of former Troops have a tough time adjusting in that first year.

Mind you, not really pumping him as an NHL prospect. For a guy that went that high and got signed, his trajectory kind of fell off. Not surprised he got traded.
Covid draft, he didn’t play in his draft year. Lots of players fell into that boat. Check out the many, many duds who went in the NHL draft. One for example is wearing 27 for Ottawa tonight

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Covid draft, he didn’t play in his draft year. Lots of players fell into that boat. Check out the many, many duds who went in the NHL draft. One for example is wearing 27 for Ottawa tonight

Covid wreaked havoc on player development and made a year or two of drafting in the higher leagues beyond random.

Already got the 3rd, may already possess the ‘24-4th, the 2nds will return when rosters freeze in February

The roster freeze in February is something a lot of people forget about or don’t know about.

Reactions: frontsfan67

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Have to admit, the result of this one caught me just a little bit off guard. Didn't see it, hope to check the recorded version some time Sat. Some observations and questions from the game summary:

How binding is the pre-game Scorer's Sheet? In the version I saw about 4:00pm, Tyson Rismond was listed. But surprise, surprise T-Nelly24 was in the lineup instead, and he notched a goal.

Is Dom partially, or maybe, all the way back? Small sample, just 2 games, but 2 goals allowed in each game on conecutive nights. Last 2 goal game or lower was Oct. 15. I thought Charlie would have this game, DDV back in on Sun. Maybe coach thought this was a winnable game, go with the top goalie and sacrifice Charlie to the KIT juggernaut.

O captain, my captain. Arny with the 2 min. equip. violation (mouth guard?) and roughing minor with 3 to play. Not to mention 0G, 0A, -1 and a somewhat below average 1/14 in faceoffs.

Looks like there were some overnight adjustments to the summary. At 11pm D-Wake was 2G, 2A, this morning 1G, 2A, and Ty was credited with the Battalion's 3rd goal.

Reactions: Uncle

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Is Dom partially, or maybe, all the way back? Small sample, just 2 games, but 2 goals allowed in each game on conecutive nights. Last 2 goal game or lower was Oct. 15. I thought Charlie would have this game, DDV back in on Sun. Maybe coach thought this was a winnable game, go with the top goalie and sacrifice Charlie to the KIT juggernaut.
Seems to me Dom is finding his groove again. I’ve really noticed his body language,control and positioning to be a lot more controlled. The tough saves are starting to be look easy again, but that’s only 2 games.

On other news 6 picks going the other way in the sting deal. The teardown to stock up the cupboards (assuming they plan on that) will be some tough hockey to watch

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I liked Kostuch.....not sure this is enough to win the east...have not seen the return we got so jury is out.....replacing drafts will be a challenge but with this core one last kick at the can is feasible....will be tough to watch next few seasons...

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Will be interesting to see how they deploy the defense. Are they going to play one of the right shots on their off-hand?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Will be interesting to see how they deploy the defense. Are they going to play one of the right shots on their off-hand?
will have to I think. J.Leblanc played quite a bit of LD, mostly actually for Niagara.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I liked Kostuch.....not sure this is enough to win the east...have not seen the return we got so jury is out.....replacing drafts will be a challenge but with this core one last kick at the can is feasible....will be tough to watch next few seasons...
What is Kostuch all about?

U guys will like all 3 guys. Vilmanis is a blast to watch. He does something on a gamely basis that makes u say wow. Sick sick hands. Elite edges for such a big guy. Worst trait is his accuracy. It'll drive ya nuts at times haha.

LeBlanc' have been tremendous this yr. Jacob especially. Big kid, skates well, great outlet passer, great at carrying it up himself & wasn't sacrificing D to create.

Andrew is so strong on the puck. Great on the cycle and down low. Good shooter better playmaker. Almost all his production came 5on5. Managed to be a + player despite our struggles.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What is Kostuch all about?

U guys will like all 3 guys. Vilmanis is a blast to watch. He does something on a gamely basis that makes u say wow. Sick sick hands. Elite edges for such a big guy. Worst trait is his accuracy. It'll drive ya nuts at times haha.

LeBlanc' have been tremendous this yr. Jacob especially. Big kid, skates well, great outlet passer, great at carrying it up himself & wasn't sacrificing D to create.

Andrew is so strong on the puck. Great on the cycle and down low. Good shooter better playmaker. Almost all his production came 5on5. Managed to be a + player despite our struggles.
Kostuch is gamer, no glaring weakness or outstanding skill. He’s going to be good

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A lot of offence on the roster, It might get Procyszyn drafted by round 2.
VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani
Villmanis-Procyszyn-Ertel
Leblanc-Arnsby-Therrien
Cooke-Pazii-Amidovski

Mathurin-Nelson
Leblanc-Christopolous
McDowell/Turley-Kennedy

That’s a contender I think

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Defense still a little questionable. Especially if Mathurin isn't back to 100%. They could probably use some insurance there. We're also lighter at the center position this year. Several teams in the East can match up well against us there.

They're deeper than they were a couple days ago, but Dom's probably going to need to win us some games on his own some nights. Hopefully the team meshes well down the stretch.

Also, I would probably run Vilmanis with Arnsby and Therien. I see that being a high energy shutdown line.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
A lot of offence on the roster, It might get Procyszyn drafted by round 2.
VanSteensel-Wakely-Romani
Villmanis-Procyszyn-Ertel
Leblanc-Arnsby-Therrien
Cooke-Pazii-Amidovski

Mathurin-Nelson
Leblanc-Christopolous
McDowell/Turley-Kennedy

That’s a contender I think
good team absolutely. Maybe just 1 more depth d man imo

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
DiVincentiis has to return to form, I agree. I think he will be at least close.

A.Leblanc is a pretty darn good defensive forward. If the Battalion don’t want him with Arnsby, insert VanSteensel.
Vilmanis is there to create scoring line II, I believe. Edit: Maybe you’re correct and the Battalion try Vilmanis-Arnsby-Ertel or Therrien.
Centre is loaded. Leblanc is pretty much the ideal 3rd centre.

Losing Lukin hurt, a lot.
But the defence is better than last season. Every one of the top 4 is better than it was a year ago.
Kennedy has improved a lot recently with more exposure due to missed time by Mathurin, Nelson, and Cajkovic. Kennedy is waaay better than Bruzer was. He will be a stud OA, book it.

Last edited:

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
The Leblanc twins are in, Sandis Vilmanis, who played for Latvia on Jan. 2, is not. Turley is out, Amidovski is still out. DDV and McIvor are the goalies, the sheet does not identify a starter. Tristan Malboeuf has the KIT net.

Big trade yesterday, one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league here for their only visit of the season, about 2700 tickets sold as at noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad