Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can see Pelech being Noah's partner one day. He's going to be pushing for top D man on the Island soon if he continues with his progress. Very low panic threshold is what is impressive. One thing that is very encouraging also, probably fans have noticed, he comes away with the puck in scrums against players. He is starting to fill out and become a man on the ice. I compare him to Seth Jones, Seth was a lanky kid when he came in, but he now fills out at 209lbs. Saw him in the playoffs last year, and it is night and day how physically strong he is now. I see the same for Dobson, more core strength and bulk to his frame, he has a chance in becoming a dominant D man. Definitely see him as the top dog on the Isles D in the very near future.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Maybe early, but I start to sense that he will be the MVP on this team for long time. Barzal is great but Dobson' hockey IQ is better than his, at least from what I observe so far.

This may be a weird observation, but both Barzal and Dobson hold their sticks higher than anyone else. It contributes to their slick stick handling, passes and quick releases.

I'm not a hockey coach, scout or anything else but I can tell that they simply "look" different than other players on the team when the puck is on their stick. Bright futures.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Going to be pretty dominant when he gets his weight up. For a tall kid he sure is light on his skates and has some soft mitts. Wait until he starts leaning on guys. Great draft pick fellas.

Reactions: buud

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Very low panic threshold is what is impressive. One thing that is very encouraging also, probably fans have noticed, he comes away with the puck in scrums against players.
This has always been a very noticeable part of his game, going back to junior. Every scrum along the boards, even when it appears he's going to get beaten, he'll do a stop, or a pivot, or a twist, and he just comes away with the puck. Didn't know how it would translate to the pro game against grown men but saw him do it at least 4 times last night alone. He's going to be a beast, no doubt about it.

If he was lucky enough to play for a team with an offense, he'd be a PPG D-man and in the conversation for the Norris... yes, possibly as early as this year.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This has always been a very noticeable part of his game, going back to junior. Every scrum along the boards, even when it appears he's going to get beaten, he'll do a stop, or a pivot, or a twist, and he just comes away with the puck. Didn't know how it would translate to the pro game against grown men but saw him do it at least 4 times last night alone. He's going to be a beast, no doubt about it.

If he was lucky enough to play for a team with an offense, he'd be a PPG D-man and in the conversation for the Norris... yes, possibly as early as this year.

I don't know about the Norris talk so quickly, but he has been shockingly good so far. Other than the meltdown against the Rags in Game 2, he has consistently stood out. He was also a bit more physical last game, threw some hits too. As his confidence has grown, he is flashing more parts of his game that we haven't seen much of before. He's got very nice hands, picked some pucks out of the air at close range and long range that prevented some dump ins thus totally negating the forecheck. Love the quick and crisp outlet passes, he probably has the best first pass of all the d-men already in his young career.

I was in love with him pre-draft, I love him more now. My Dobson jersey is my precious. Haha.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
I don't know about the Norris talk so quickly, but he has been shockingly good so far. Other than the meltdown against the Rags in Game 2, he has consistently stood out. He was also a bit more physical last game, threw some hits too. As his confidence has grown, he is flashing more parts of his game that we haven't seen much of before. He's got very nice hands, picked some pucks out of the air at close range and long range that prevented some dump ins thus totally negating the forecheck. Love the quick and crisp outlet passes, he probably has the best first pass of all the d-men already in his young career.

I was in love with him pre-draft, I love him more now. My Dobson jersey is my precious. Haha.
Maybe that came across wrong, he will get ZERO Norris consideration this year, in this situation. My hypothetical was him playing on an up-tempo, decently offensively skilled team (not even elite), he would probably be a PPG d-man, and well, that automatically has you in the conversation.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson continues to impress the shit out of me. His sorcery against the boards in the 3rd period made my jaw drop. Not a great shift in OT, but he'll learn from it and continue to improve. I have been one of his biggest boosters since BEFORE he was drafted, but I am having a hard time curbing my enthusiasm. He's ahead of my conservative schedule, he has surpassed my expectations for a 21 year old.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Dobson continues to impress the shit out of me. His sorcery against the boards in the 3rd period made my jaw drop. Not a great shift in OT, but he'll learn from it and continue to improve. I have been one of his biggest boosters since BEFORE he was drafted, but I am having a hard time curbing my enthusiasm. He's ahead of my conservative schedule, he has surpassed my expectations for a 21 year old.
The way he gets out of pressure is really impressive The goal in ot was on him as he should have stayed with his man. The slight hesitation cost him. Besides that mistake which he will learn from he was the best player on the ice for the islanders last night.

Reactions: PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I didn't expect such a fast ascension in his game. I would prefer he gets moved up to the 2nd pair with Leddy and move Mayfield down to the 3rd pair NOW.

I was actually thinking of adding this to my post this morning. Playing Leddy with him would ease a lot of pressure off Leddy having to be the one to make the better outlet passes and skate outs that he has to do with Mayfield, who struggles at that. Ironically, Mayfield is far more comfortable on the puck in the offensive zone and maybe Greene gives him a little more freedom to pinch, which he is actually pretty good at.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Interesting looking back now after 22 games this season. Here is what Bob Mckenizie said about Dobson in his final rankings. I don't disagree.

6. Noah Dobson. The big 6-foot-3 defenceman from the Acadie–Bathurst Titan played so well and so long in leading his team to the Memorial Cup title. Dobson is a strong skater with a high degree of creativity, vision and offensive prowess. Scouts feel we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Worth noting: Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN have Dobson in their top five.

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
Interesting looking back now after 22 games this season. Here is what Bob Mckenizie said about Dobson in his final rankings. I don't disagree.

6. Noah Dobson. The big 6-foot-3 defenceman from the Acadie–Bathurst Titan played so well and so long in leading his team to the Memorial Cup title. Dobson is a strong skater with a high degree of creativity, vision and offensive prowess. Scouts feel we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Worth noting: Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN have Dobson in their top five.
Dobson has all the tools to be a #1 D at this level.
Trotz has been holding him back long enough.
Now is the right time to allow him to blossom.
Mayfield/Greene and one of the Ps should be behind him every game.

That is how good he is NOW.

I know the Isles have good success and chemistry now, but Dobson will never hurt them because he is a down to earth player who will take what he is allowed to do.....and build from there.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Dobson has all the tools to be a #1 D at this level.
Trotz has been holding him back long enough.
Now is the right time to allow him to blossom.
Mayfield/Greene and one of the Ps should be behind him every game.

That is how good he is NOW.

I know the Isles have good success and chemistry now, but Dobson will never hurt them because he is a down to earth player who will take what he is allowed to do.....and build from there.

Ok i love Dobson, he very well may be better than Mayfield right now, but he isnt better thab Pulock or Pelech yet.

Trotz is developing nice and slow and allowing him to gain confidence with sheltered minutes.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
what encourages me is when he makes a mistake, he often then immediately makes a smart play to CORRECT that mistake

I love this kid. He is going to be our best d-man sooner rather than later IMHO

I love his game. Not sure he'll ever be elite, like a top 10 defenseman in the NHL, but he's very good. Just needs a little more time.

Reactions: nyisleslover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad