Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't know what anybody knows about his son that makes them think he can't do the job. I'm not sure he can, but I don't know that he can't.
What has Chris L done to deserve being penciled in as the next GM?
This isn't Stevie Y moving from a successful TB situation to Detroit. Chris L isn't some hotshot, highly in demand front office exec, that other franchises keep trying to poach.

I have zero problem with Chris L getting interviewed by ownership and the front office execs, when the job opens up,but interview a wide range of candidates and choose based on success and experience.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
This isn't Stevie Y moving from a successful TB situation to Detroit. Chris L isn't some hotshot, highly in demand front office exec, that other franchises keep trying to poach.

I have zero problem with Chris L getting interviewed by ownership and the front office execs, when the job opens up,but interview a wide range of candidates and choose based on success and experience.

This. There are plenty of people that I don't know if they could do the job...doesn't mean they should automatically get it. If they want to interview him for the position I agree with you that that's fine, but other qualified people should be interviewed as well.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

This. There are plenty of people that I don't know if they could do the job...doesn't mean they should automatically get it. If they want to interview him for the position I agree with you that that's fine, but other qualified people should be interviewed as well.

I understand that we want a qualified person. I'm specifically talking about people who are cringing and hate the idea. Why do they hate the idea? Is it simply because it looks like nepotism or did Chris actually do something they dislike?

Just any FYI for anyone engaging in this particular conversation so they don't get lost, after the next response I'll move the reply and conversation to a different thread since it has nothing to do with Dobson.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't think Dobson needs the quick explosion in order to develop into a top pairing guy (not saying I expect him to). Skills like that are nice for neutral zone into the offensive zone possession, but if Dobson is to continue maturing I would love to see him get even better in the offensive zone with his vision and passing skills. I am most impressed with these and QBing the PP at such a young age as well (and looking quite good at it).

The defensive mistakes will fix themselves over time. We will see games for the next two seasons where he looks great and also where he looks hideous. He is a young defenseman and these things will happen.

I remember all of his detractors after the draft (especially fans of teams that passed on him) trying to justify their player over Dobson citing his lack of offensive upside. "He'll be a good d-man and strong defensively, but I don't think he has much offensive upside" was a common remark. Yeah, BULLSHIT!

Dobson may not have any single great trait, but he does everything well. On a scale of 1-5 for individual traits, he's like a 4-4.5 all across the board and that's rare for a 6'4 RHD or any other player. I do like his vision and passing ability too, he knows what he's doing on the PP for sure.

It will definitely be a bit of a roller coaster over the next couple of years, but the good should far exceed the bad. He's quite smart, he'll learn from the mistakes he's going to make. It's also great that Trotz will be his coach and knowing he won't be benched after a tough game. He was total dog shit in Game 2 against the Rags, but he bounced back strong.

I love this kid. I bought his jersey.

anyone watch the memorial cups this kid anchored and won? Was he playing gritty and tough against his peers? inquiring minds want to know?

He was playing stupid minutes (30+) so he wasn't going out killing people in the 2nd Memorial Cup. He was appropriately physical, certainly not afraid to engage.

Reactions: WangMustGo and mm11

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This question is for anyone, but I pose it directly to @PWJunior:

Do you know if Dobson had a growth spurt (in height) leading up to or just after his draft.

We all know that he needs to further fill out and get his man strength. But he also has a little bit of the awkwardness common in player still needing to get comfortable to a quickly growing body.

I remember Mats Sundin as a good example of this. He was 6’2” and looking like Bambi and finished his career at a solid 6’5.”

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This question is for anyone, but I pose it directly to @PWJunior:

Do you know if Dobson had a growth spurt (in height) leading up to or just after his draft.

We all know that he needs to further fill out and get his man strength. But he also has a little bit of the awkwardness common in player still needing to get comfortable to a quickly growing body.

I remember Mats Sundin as a good example of this. He was 6’2” and looking like Bambi and finished his career at a solid 6’5.”

Dobson was listed at 6'3 at the NHL Draft Combine, rail thin at 176.74 pounds. I think he's always been on the taller side, I've never seen anything suggesting he had a sudden growth spurt.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

He is now listed at 6'4 and 195. Just by the eye test and comparing to the other tall players on the Isles, the 6'4 has to be legit and the 195 seems about right. Adding an inch and 18 pounds from 2 1/2 years ago seems about right considering last year was the first time he had real training time because he was always playing due to the 2 Memorial Cup runs. I think that factor is the biggest reason for the Bambi-ness, he just never got to train. I think he's not as awkward this year though, the work with Seidenberg last year was good for him.

Maybe he grows a little bit more, but more height at this point isn't required. I think there is probably another 15 pounds to end up at 210 eventually. Dobson often gets compared to Pietrangelo, stylistically and certainly in stature. The have the same body type/frame.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't think Dobson needs the quick explosion in order to develop into a top pairing guy (not saying I expect him to). Skills like that are nice for neutral zone into the offensive zone possession, but if Dobson is to continue maturing I would love to see him get even better in the offensive zone with his vision and passing skills. I am most impressed with these and QBing the PP at such a young age as well (and looking quite good at it).

The defensive mistakes will fix themselves over time. We will see games for the next two seasons where he looks great and also where he looks hideous. He is a young defenseman and these things will happen.
Dobson has Leddy's smooth glide. They both remind of the way Kenny Jonsson skated. None of them had a burst of speed out of the gate.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
I watched him lots throughout junior, and if you're looking for grit or an edge, that's one area you will come away pretty deeply disappointed. It's simply not part of his game. He will battle for the puck, but I've never seen even a smidgeon of "nasty" in him. He won't give you any sandpaper whatsoever.

But that's ok. He's going to be an elite puck moving defensman who will QB the powerplay for years to come and will be adequate to slightly above average in his own zone. I think that will be enough? ;):naughty:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I watched him lots throughout junior, and if you're looking for grit or an edge, that's one area you will come away pretty deeply disappointed. It's simply not part of his game. He will battle for the puck, but I've never seen even a smidgeon of "nasty" in him. He won't give you any sandpaper whatsoever.

But that's ok. He's going to be an elite puck moving defensman who will QB the powerplay for years to come and will be adequate to slightly above average in his own zone. I think that will be enough? ;):naughty:

So you're saying he's not a Raptor? :sarcasm:

I think he'll be pretty good in the defensive zone, you're underselling him a little there.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Dobson was listed at 6'3 at the NHL Draft Combine, rail thin at 176.74 pounds. I think he's always been on the taller side, I've never seen anything suggesting he had a sudden growth spurt.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-nhl-combine-heights-weights/

He is now listed at 6'4 and 195. Just by the eye test and comparing to the other tall players on the Isles, the 6'4 has to be legit and the 195 seems about right. Adding an inch and 18 pounds from 2 1/2 years ago seems about right considering last year was the first time he had real training time because he was always playing due to the 2 Memorial Cup runs. I think that factor is the biggest reason for the Bambi-ness, he just never got to train. I think he's not as awkward this year though, the work with Seidenberg last year was good for him.

Maybe he grows a little bit more, but more height at this point isn't required. I think there is probably another 15 pounds to end up at 210 eventually. Dobson often gets compared to Pietrangelo, stylistically and certainly in stature. The have the same body type/frame.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not coming from the perspective that I hope or feel he needs to grow further in height. Of course, It goes without saying that all young players need to bulk up and get their man strength.

Actually, what I was getting at is that he seems at times somewhat uncoordinated. Something you often see in players that have had their balance thrown off by a sudden growth spurt.

I’m not concerned about Dobson overall. On the contrary to me it’s more of a positive. It shows me that as he grows comfortable and gains experience his ceiling for skill and finesse may be even higher then I was initially expecting.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
anyone watch the memorial cups this kid anchored and won? Was he playing gritty and tough against his peers? inquiring minds want to know?
I attended the Q Finals of his second Mem Cup year against Halifax. He wasn't afraid to get in someone's face, didn't shy from contact. Also played like 40 min a game... seemed to be out there every second shift.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
So you're saying he's not a Raptor? :sarcasm:

I think he'll be pretty good in the defensive zone, you're underselling him a little there.
He'll be good defensively with tying up sticks, and getting position on guys as he acclimates more to the speed and needs at the NHL level. Where he will not be as strong is clearing the crease and being physical with guys in front of the net. I don't think that's ever been part of his game.

But he'll beat you with his smarts.. he'll be good.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think Dobson is definitely slated for a top pairing D man. Pulock is ahead of him at this moment, let’s see where Pulock winds up. Right now, I’m just thrilled to have, Pulock, Pelech, Dobson, and hopefully, eventually Wilde.

Reactions: bigtim1988

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I think Dobson is definitely slated for a top pairing D man. Pulock is ahead of him at this moment, let’s see where Pulock winds up. Right now, I’m just thrilled to have, Pulock, Pelech, Dobson, and hopefully, eventually Wilde.

Pulock, Pelech, and Dobson set us up to be an elite defense for a long time. Pulock and Pelech both being top pairing defenseman, and Dobson potentially being the star of the bunch. Trotz has been an absolute Godsend to this team

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He'll be good defensively with tying up sticks, and getting position on guys as he acclimates more to the speed and needs at the NHL level. Where he will not be as strong is clearing the crease and being physical with guys in front of the net. I don't think that's ever been part of his game.

But he'll beat you with his smarts.. he'll be good.

I’m reminded of Kenny Jonsson who had the rap of being soft. He definitely wasn’t gritty and/or physically dominating in front of the crease.

But whenever he went into the corners with an opponent he always seemed to come out with the puck. He would utilize his reach, physical leverage, skating and IQ.

Of course he would occasionally get rocked (Gary Roberts) because of the NHL’s liberal head shot allowance at the time.

But, I always felt Jonsson had an understated toughness. Much like that quiet murderer Josh Bailey :sarcasm:

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
If we could somehow find a defensive dman of the equivalent of a younger Greene (easier said than done), to pair him with Dobson in the near future, then we can have 3 pairings where you have a Dman who can be free to rush the puck, but also plays good D, paired with a good defensive dman. The first pairing we have now, is a perfect example

Pulock-Pelech
Dobson- ?
Wilde- ?

I can’t stress how important Greene is to Dobson’s development though. He’s like having a coach as your defensive partner. Also like the fact Boychuk is helping the coaches as well.

I REALLY like the future of this D corps. I wouldn’t count out Hutton and Bolduc either.

Dobson is well on his way on becoming a stud dman, once his confidence is at the level he had in juniors, watch out. He’s already showing some of that this year. I LOVED the way he responded to his poor play after the second Ranger’s game.

Trotz and staff turned Carlson into a Norris Trophy level Dman, not saying Dobson will ever get to that level, but he certainly has tools, and the same coaching staff that turned Carlson into a stud, teaching him.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

How have some of those hotshots worked out to date that you are referring to? So far, not so much that we need a redux.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How have some of those hotshots worked out to date that you are referring to? So far, not so much that we need a redux.

The last hotshots were Stevie Y and Dubas up in Toronto.
Chris L is move Dubas then Stevie Y.

If another organization's GM gifted his son his GM's job, most on this board would mock the move and talk about how Lou has changed the isles culture,that we no longer have to put up with such mickey mouse way of running a team. You know cause Lou's so professional:sarcasm:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The last hotshots were Stevie Y and Dubas up in Toronto.
Chris L is move Dubas then Stevie Y.

If another organization's GM gifted his son his GM's job, most on this board would mock the move and talk about how Lou has changed the isles culture,that we no longer have to put up with such mickey mouse way of running a team. You know cause Lou's so professional:sarcasm:
Steve Y was a ‘hotshot’? He spent years learning the craft, but never managed an AHL team...

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
If we could somehow find a defensive dman of the equivalent of a younger Greene (easier said than done), to pair him with Dobson in the near future, then we can have 3 pairings where you have a Dman who can be free to rush the puck, but also plays good D, paired with a good defensive dman. The first pairing we have now, is a perfect example

Pulock-Pelech
Dobson- ?
Wilde- ?

I can’t stress how important Greene is to Dobson’s development though. He’s like having a coach as your defensive partner. Also like the fact Boychuk is helping the coaches as well.

I REALLY like the future of this D corps. I wouldn’t count out Hutton and Bolduc either.

Dobson is well on his way on becoming a stud dman, once his confidence is at the level he had in juniors, watch out. He’s already showing some of that this year. I LOVED the way he responded to his poor play after the second Ranger’s game.

Trotz and staff turned Carlson into a Norris Trophy level Dman, not saying Dobson will ever get to that level, but he certainly has tools, and the same coaching staff that turned Carlson into a stud, teaching him.
Salo or Bolduc???

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Steve Y was a ‘hotshot’? He spent years learning the craft, but never managed an AHL team...

Stevie Y was highly successful and highly coveted by other organizations. They would have loved to have poached him and when he wanted to spend more time with his family in Detroit, the Red Wings organization caught a huge break.

I am missing all the reports about other organizations contacting the isles, asking if they can interview Chris L. You know, the other organizations trying to poach him because he is doing such an impressive job.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Salo or Bolduc???

If Bolduc pans out, I think he could be a pretty good partner for Dobson. He's big, he skates well, and he could help out in the areas Dobson lacks in and that's physical plays like clearing the crease and throwing his weight around to win board battles. Bolduc can be the defensive guy and get the puck to Dobson to start the transition. That would be my best case scenario.

Reactions: scott99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad