Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Anything other than a full search with interviewing the most qualified candidates would shock me.
If Lou steps up to be team President, then anything other than Chris L taking over as GM would shock me. Just saying.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Dobson is in a really good situation for his long term development. He got a taste last year and was around a strong blue line group with Boychuk as a strong veteran presence as his mentor. Then Lou added another mentor in Greene who was a great fit for the kid as a partner on the ice. I give credit to Boychuk though, helping out the kid who is essentially your replacement shows what great character he has and why he is so beloved.

Trotz letting him run the #1PP right out of the gate was a bit of a surprise to me, but it is playing to his strengths. Dobson looks quite comfortable at the top of the umbrella with a howitzer option in Pulock at the Ovie spot and a dynamic Barzal on his right. You can tell he has a purpose and does zero floating, always in motion. Does a nice job keeping pucks in the zone against the wall and will present himself as an option on the back side when there is an opening. As he gains more strength and mass, his shooting should be more of a threat.

The clear weakness is his lack of muscle and defensive play so far. He needs reps, but I'm not concerned because he clearly has the poise and smarts to figure things out. Greene as a savvy safety blanket is pretty ideal. Notice that Greene often defers to Dobson after gaining puck possession in the defensive zone, he draws the forechecker then passes to Dobson to move the play forward with an open lane. Dobson's first pass has been on display so far in large part to Greene's willingness to do the dirty work.

Dobson is a work in progress and we won't see his Super Saiyan mode until he's 23/24, but the future is bright. Everything is in place for him to just continue to grow.
I agree, Dobson is going to be an anchor and horse Trotz loves to have. (stay healthy kid) Great environment on the island. Pleasure to see this. LGI!

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Well articulated PW. I see a bit of Seth Jones in Noah. When he gains more confidence I can see him jumping into the attack as the 4th man, where Barzal will hit him with a trailing pass. I don't know if you notice this, but I see Barzal and Noah looking for each other. They are elite minds that only elite players see things on the ice. Mostly holes in the defence to create passing lanes. This is something to really look fwd to as an Islander fan. The chemistry these 2 will develop. Dobson already looks like the best QB on the PP the Isles have had since Trotz became the coach. It's trending well, it will be interesting to see how he looks after game 10, 20, 40. I predict he may be pushing the conversation as Isles Best D this year. It reminds me of his draft year, he came out of nowhere to be in the conversation as a top 5 pick. I can see this happening again. As Trotz's trust in him grows.
I did notice the Dobson, Barzal chemistry last year. Hoping for a long term relationship! LGI!

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Dobson is in a really good situation for his long term development. He got a taste last year and was around a strong blue line group with Boychuk as a strong veteran presence as his mentor. Then Lou added another mentor in Greene who was a great fit for the kid as a partner on the ice. I give credit to Boychuk though, helping out the kid who is essentially your replacement shows what great character he has and why he is so beloved.

Trotz letting him run the #1PP right out of the gate was a bit of a surprise to me, but it is playing to his strengths. Dobson looks quite comfortable at the top of the umbrella with a howitzer option in Pulock at the Ovie spot and a dynamic Barzal on his right. You can tell he has a purpose and does zero floating, always in motion. Does a nice job keeping pucks in the zone against the wall and will present himself as an option on the back side when there is an opening. As he gains more strength and mass, his shooting should be more of a threat.

The clear weakness is his lack of muscle and defensive play so far. He needs reps, but I'm not concerned because he clearly has the poise and smarts to figure things out. Greene as a savvy safety blanket is pretty ideal. Notice that Greene often defers to Dobson after gaining puck possession in the defensive zone, he draws the forechecker then passes to Dobson to move the play forward with an open lane. Dobson's first pass has been on display so far in large part to Greene's willingness to do the dirty work.

Dobson is a work in progress and we won't see his Super Saiyan mode until he's 23/24, but the future is bright. Everything is in place for him to just continue to grow.

Couldn't agree more. You can tell when he settles into a game and is just playing, rather than thinking. He's much more dynamic when he's just playing and doing what he does. He's pretty elusive, though he's not the fastest skater in the world, he's just shifty enough to create space and start heading up ice. I think his shot is actually pretty good right now. Maybe it's not a cannon, but he has a very quick release and can really zip it. That assist he got last nice was released real quick with a lot of speed, causing it to bounce off the wall pretty hard. The thing I like the most about him offensively so far has been his vision. He's tried those sneaky back door passes quite a few times already in his young career and I love that he's routinely looking for those.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Why the hell would Chris L take over as GM? This isn’t the ducking British monarchy. GM of the NY Islanders isn’t inherited. Anything other than a full search with interviewing the most qualified candidates would shock me.
Can't wait for that to happen...A field day of analysis on every single move of those candidates with the net result of, I really want that guy, but he's not available.

Isles fans are already nitpicking one of the most successful GMs in NHL history that is currently the GM of the team, changed the culture, and so far been a playoff team under his watch. Fans keep adding asterisks in all directions to qualify their view that he's not been that successful, he's an old man, etc. Its laughable.

If he feels his son can do it under his watchful eye and its the right fit, then so be it.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
If Lou steps up to be team President, then anything other than Chris L taking over as GM would shock me. Just saying.
And that was the context Staple said Chris L – IF Lou was President, then Staple expected Chris. I also suspect Lou as Prez == still in control, would just be a GM doing the day-to-day grunt work.

I recall from a Bob McCown show at the time that the big reason Lou apparently recoiled at the Toronto Prez / Sr whatever gig and also made himself the GM here was he still likes the day-to-day involvement and especially going to the GM meetings, which - oddly enough - you have to be a GM to go to. ;)

I assume if Lou were to completely retire, they'd do a thorough search and not just automatically go with Chris L. At the least, I would expect the owners to hire a Prez and that guy to make the final call on a GM.

All that said, Dobson is coming along nicely. When you think about what he's showing at just-turned-21, I think a 23/24 yo Dobson is going to be very pleasant to watch. And Trotz sure has helped build a lot of really good D over the years.

I still think he needs some more weight / muscle on his frame, but that should come.

Reactions: doublechili

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Can't wait for that to happen...A field day of analysis on every single move of those candidates with the net result of, I really want that guy, but he's not available.

Isles fans are already nitpicking one of the most successful GMs in NHL history that is currently the GM of the team, changed the culture, and so far been a playoff team under his watch. Fans keep adding asterisks in all directions to qualify their view that he's not been that successful, he's an old man, etc. Its laughable.

If he feels his son can do it under his watchful eye and its the right fit, then so be it.

I don't know what anybody knows about his son that makes them think he can't do the job. I'm not sure he can, but I don't know that he can't.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I did notice the Dobson, Barzal chemistry last year. Hoping for a long term relationship! LGI!
Isles play a system, but with more tenure I hope Trotz will allow Barzal to stretch the Defence. Gifted players should be allowed more rope to accentuate their talents as long as it helps the team. This is where I can see Dobson and Barzal playing Jake Allen to Diggs. You can already see Dobson having good vision on the ice. I noticed it started last season, when he would look for Barzal. Regardless, the fwd and D tandem is often overlooked. Maybe the Isles have a good one here.

Reactions: mm11

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Isles play a system, but with more tenure I hope Trotz will allow Barzal to stretch the Defence. Gifted players should be allowed more rope to accentuate their talents as long as it helps the team. This is where I can see Dobson and Barzal playing Jake Allen to Diggs. You can already see Dobson having good vision on the ice. I noticed it started last season, when he would look for Barzal. Regardless, the fwd and D tandem is often overlooked. Maybe the Isles have a good one here.

My brain short-circuited on this for longer than I'd like to admit. I was like who is Diggs and why do we care if a goalie is passing to him?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My brain short-circuited on this for longer than I'd like to admit. I was like who is Diggs and why do we care if a goalie is passing to him?
lol, I am a long suffering Bills fan. Sorry for being so cryptic for a hockey forum. It was in reference to the bomb pass to Barzal in the future. I also spelled Josh wrong. I can see why would Jake Allen the goalie be passing to Diggs?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
yes, it still baffles me while the isles are not lobbing pucks up to have Barzal catch up to? Tampa scored a huge goal against us in the playoffs in like 5 seconds after we scored a hard working Islander goal to take a lead and open the scoring in a game

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
yes, it still baffles me while the isles are not lobbing pucks up to have Barzal catch up to? Tampa scored a huge goal against us in the playoffs in like 5 seconds after we scored a hard working Islander goal to take a lead and open the scoring in a game
Good point, this is something I have not seen from the Islanders D corp. It would seem like a good weapon to use. TB has mastered it. It is a skill. All D should have a lob pass to either relieve the pressure or as a sneak attack. Barzal would be a perfect player to connect with this. Good one MM.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Lou would trade his mother to win a cup, but he's keeping his "unqalified" son on because nepotism??? Come on guys smh.:facepalm:

The creativity in these baseless Lou Lamoriello narratives is off the hook.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lou would trade his mother to win a cup, but he's keeping his "unqalified" son on because nepotism??? Come on guys smh.:facepalm:

The creativity in these baseless Lou Lamoriello narratives is off the hook.

It's also weird because his son was here before Lou was, so it's not like he was even a Lou hire, right?

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's also weird because his son was here before Lou was, so it's not like he was even a Lou hire, right?
Also true. Chris Lamoriello got here in 2016.

I guess we're troubled by that because Lou didn't fully clean house from the Garth Snow regime in Bridgeport.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
And that was the context Staple said Chris L – IF Lou was President, then Staple expected Chris. I also suspect Lou as Prez == still in control, would just be a GM doing the day-to-day grunt work.

I recall from a Bob McCown show at the time that the big reason Lou apparently recoiled at the Toronto Prez / Sr whatever gig and also made himself the GM here was he still likes the day-to-day involvement and especially going to the GM meetings, which - oddly enough - you have to be a GM to go to. ;)

I assume if Lou were to completely retire, they'd do a thorough search and not just automatically go with Chris L. At the least, I would expect the owners to hire a Prez and that guy to make the final call on a GM.

All that said, Dobson is coming along nicely. When you think about what he's showing at just-turned-21, I think a 23/24 yo Dobson is going to be very pleasant to watch. And Trotz sure has helped build a lot of really good D over the years.

I still think he needs some more weight / muscle on his frame, but that should come.
Good old Art Staple creating content for clicks...

Reactions: JKP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Also true. Chris Lamoriello got here in 2016.

I guess we're troubled by that because Lou didn't fully clean house from the Garth Snow regime in Bridgeport.
Lou's 78. Same age as....we won't go there. I don't know, maybe he takes omega 3 pills religiously. Still sharp as a tack. As long as he and Barry are at the helm with great owners like Malkin and Ledecky. With Belmont Park on the horizon, I am envious of you guys. Go to the track put down a few bucks, then onto an Isles game and consume some NY sausages. Life would be good.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lou's 78. Same age as....we won't go there. I don't know, maybe he takes omega 3 pills religiously. Still sharp as a tack. As long as he and Barry are at the helm with great owners like Malkin and Ledecky. With Belmont Park on the horizon, I am envious of you guys. Go to the track put down a few bucks, then onto an Isles game and consume some NY sausages. Life would be good.
I can’t wait to spend an entire Saturday at Belmont for a racing/Islanders doubleheader. First race post time 12:55, last race ends around 5:15. Some pre-gaming at one of the new establishments on the grounds, then into UBS Arena for a 7:05 faceoff. Life is good.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can’t wait to spend an entire Saturday at Belmont for a racing/Islanders doubleheader. First race post time 12:55, last race ends around 5:15. Some pre-gaming at one of the new establishments on the grounds, then into UBS Arena for a 7:05 faceoff. Life is good.
I have to confess, don't tell the wife. Well she knows. I like the ponies too. I like BBQ meats also. You guys know I love hockey. Ponies, charred meat, and hockey. You lucky guy. :)

Reactions: MJF

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I have to confess, don't tell the wife. Well she knows. I like the ponies too. I like BBQ meats also. You guys know I love hockey. Ponies, charred meat, and hockey. You lucky guy. :)
Is there a good bbq joint near UBS?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
about Dobson...

i am surprised how fast he is. granted, he's not very heavy, so i probably shouldn't be.

a few times, it looked like he was backing up from their blueline, and he pinched and kept the puck in deep. as a forward, i can't tell you how energizing this is.

i'm also surprised at the grit. for a baby-faced kid, lol. but he's doing ok in the corners and in front of the net. good stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: TMI and PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
about Dobson...

i am surprised how fast he is. granted, he's not very heavy, so i probably shouldn't be.

a few times, it looked like he was backing up from their blueline, and he pinched and kept the puck in deep. as a forward, i can't tell you how energizing this is.

i'm also surprised at he grit. for a baby-faced kid, lol. but he's doing ok in the corners and in front of the net. good stuff!

I think Dobson lacks that quick twitch explosion in his initial strides like the elite skaters do, but he has strong technique leading to strong 4-way mobility needed for a defenseman. His skating stride is quite similar to Leddy and Toews as it's efficient and builds speed. Like you, I have noticed that he transitions quite well skating backwards to forward.

He does look a little bigger and stronger compared to last year, but he is still at a disadvantage in that regard against NHL forwards. That will take care of itself as he gets older, but you're right about his willingness to engage. He's not afraid to battle and that's a good sign, but it still invokes images of a Pug with attitude trying to overcome a Rottweiler right now. Haha.

Reactions: TMI and mm11

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I think Dobson lacks that quick twitch explosion in his initial strides like the elite skaters do, but he has strong technique leading to strong 4-way mobility needed for a defenseman. His skating stride is quite similar to Leddy and Toews as it's efficient and builds speed. Like you, I have noticed that he transitions quite well skating backwards to forwards.

He does look a little bigger and stronger compared to last year, but he is still at a disadvantage in that regard against NHL forwards. That will take care of itself as he gets older, but you're right about his willingness to engage. He's not afraid to battle and that's a good sign, but it still invokes images of a Pug with attitude trying to overcome a Rottweiler right now. Haha.

I don't think Dobson needs the quick explosion in order to develop into a top pairing guy (not saying I expect him to). Skills like that are nice for neutral zone into the offensive zone possession, but if Dobson is to continue maturing I would love to see him get even better in the offensive zone with his vision and passing skills. I am most impressed with these and QBing the PP at such a young age as well (and looking quite good at it).

The defensive mistakes will fix themselves over time. We will see games for the next two seasons where he looks great and also where he looks hideous. He is a young defenseman and these things will happen.

Reactions: PWJunior

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I think Dobson lacks that quick twitch explosion in his initial strides like the elite skaters do, but he has strong technique leading to strong 4-way mobility needed for a defenseman. His skating stride is quite similar to Leddy and Toews as it's efficient and builds speed. Like you, I have noticed that he transitions quite well skating backwards to forward.

anyone watch the memorial cups this kid anchored and won? Was he playing gritty and tough against his peers? inquiring minds want to know?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad