Blue Jays Discussion: No More AA, Everyone is very Sad (and by Sad, I mean Mad)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Understand that the majority of baseball presidents deal primarily in the business of the radio deals, advertising, ballpark ops, etc and very rarely have input into the mob roster. They do sometimes have a say in the draft but not much in trades unless it's a money issue.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
And in the process lost one of Baseball's best young minds.

I don't see why fans should be happy with losing the baseball guy to appease the business types of the organization.

AA is essentially choosing unelploymenr for a full year (at least not being to work as a manager) rather than having five years worth of job security.

This tells me something is seriously rotten in the Blue Jays management/ownership structure.

Or that AA's ego got to him.

Why do you trust him? Consistent .400 seasons from 2008-2010 as a GM after a successful ALCS run? How about the consistent .500/.400 seasons with only 1 Wild Card appearance in 2013 (in a game that they LOST, so technically they didn't even make the postseason) before ******** the bed again with .400 season after season as the President?

Boy, I'd definitely trust him with such a riveting track record.

In what world does Shapiro have a better track record?

I trust him because, a) he hasn't even started yet, and Im always willing to give people a chance b) from reports around baseball, Shapiro is one of the sharpest minds in baseball. I never said he had a better track record than AA, but IIRC correctly the Indians and the Jays have a near identical record in the same time frame.

Because he wasnt offered HIS job. He was essentially offered to be Shapiro's assistant as Shapiro would have all final say.

An executive winning the award of the best executive on a day he leaves because his replacement was hired months before?

That's so 'Toronto Sports' it's not even funny. Actually it is funny, because if you couldn't find humor in this mess you'd be pretty depressed.

If you're going by that line of thinking, AA was Beeston's assistant. So really, the only thing that would change is Beeston to Shapiro and the trust not being there from the get go.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
But he only had full control because Beeston gave it to him, not Rogers. From Rogers point of view, Beeston ran the team and AA worked for him.

I agree with that, but it would be ignorant from Rogers end to avoid the reality of the situation and think that AA would be OK with that change.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This team could be at a major crossroads after 2016. I don't mind this move at all.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Gibby will be the next domino to fall with Francona being the replacement. Shapiro wants to bring in some of his own management level staff to work with AA

AA didn't want to make the moves to employees and hires of his. Decided to step away and let Shapiro do it on his own mission.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Oh no?

Denver finished 57-25 that year, good for 2nd in the West, and then lost in the playoffs because they were a few pieces away.

Blue Jays finish at 93-69, good for second in the AL, and then lost in the playoffs because they're still a few pieces away.

I have no reason to trust Shapiro given how Cleveland has done **** all outside of one trip to the ALCS and a wild card in a 10 year span.

Edit: It should also be noted that Denver's new GM canned the reigning coach of the year. Something the new brass will likely repeat in dumping a solid manager in Gibbons.

So Shapiro had an alcs trip and a wild card showing, that's all...but AA had one alcs trip and yet he has shown more? Weird but OK.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Two first round exits. Next year will be a huge test for Masai but I'll give him credit for building a winner, unlike BC, who was garbage.

I wouldn't call the Raptors line up a winner. I love the Raptors and I'll admit I'm somewhat of a bandwagon fan. I got into it early into 2 seasons ago. But they've really proved nothing other than that they can choke with the best of them. Game 7 was an absolute joke on the officiating side so I'll give them that.

Are you joking?

What is there to joke about? Someone brought up Denver losing the Executive of the Year, who became the GM of the Raptors. Raptors have done **** all.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Any good articles on Shapiro? I'd like to know more about he conducts trades, his baseball philosophy, the kinds of players he likes to target, track record, what others have to say, etc.

I only know he has spent an eternity with Cleveland and then decided to come to Toronto (still not sure why exactly).

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I trust him because, a) he hasn't even started yet, and Im always willing to give people a chance b) from reports around baseball, Shapiro is one of the sharpest minds in baseball. I never said he had a better track record than AA, but IIRC correctly the Indians and the Jays have a near identical record in the same time frame.

a) So what? b) people get chances if their record proves they can do a high quality job, Shapiro has proven he can't at both the GM and President level, c) Just because people say he's the sharpest mind, doesn't mean it's true. The track record doesn't prove that at all. I never said that you said that Shapiro had better track record than AA, that comment was directed at someone else.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Wild Card game shouldn't even count. I'm sure the 98 win Pirates are happy with their "playoff" run

That's your opinion, there's a lot of people in baseball and around here that would disagree with you. It's only "not the playoffs" when you're looking to discredit it and looking for negatives.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
So Shapiro had an alcs trip and a wild card showing, that's all...but AA had one alcs trip and yet he has shown more? Weird but OK.

That ALCS trip also came two years before AA was made GM, but that's besides the point I suppose.

He's also won Executive of the year two times.

Yeah, one of them a decade ago, and one of them nearly a decade ago.

Again, it's not hard to have a "better track record" when you've had far more time to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad