Blue Jays Discussion: No More AA, Everyone is very Sad (and by Sad, I mean Mad)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I don't know why people are so upset. He only had a one good season. 479-483 since 2010. Yes, below .500. If the team had been in the playoffs for last 2 season, he has something. I don't think he has done anything spectacular other than a couple of moves this season. So in 5 years, 1 year defines him ? Look at it for what it is.

Yet, you're defining AA based on a couple of years where he inherited the absolute **** team from Ricciardi.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The fact he got them out of the Wells deal AND somehow brought a quality player back in Napoli (which he flipped, no one expected Napoli to explode the way he did in 2011) was a miracle.

He turned around what was a bad farm system into one of the best until he started to move pieces out to contend. And now he's being shown the door.

Unreal.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yup, that must be it. Look at AA just ripping the Jays in this phone call.

Your grudge with AA borders on ridiculous.

What grudge? I loved AA as a GM here. It' just not usual to hear a report come out from the media about this organization that has come true throughout AA's whole tenure. I'm very much leaning toward the report being not as true. If not, who else leaked it?

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
His record and number of playoff appearances does not do his body of work justice, particularly considering where he started when he inherited the team.

Building up one of the best prospect pools in baseball and managing to trade highly touted prospects away and maintain a quality farm system. Pulling off some crazy trades that almost every fanbase is envious of .. Building the best offense in baseball without buying it in FA

So much this.
The only knock to me is the Dickey trade, but hindsight is 20/20. We were trading for the NL Cy Young winner. Albeit a knuckleballer. No one knew what Thor or D'Arnaud were going to be.
However, pulling off Lawrie + prospects for the probable AL MVP makes up for it.

Riccardi left this team with bad contracts and a non existent prospect pool. What AA managed to accomplish has to be considered. We will miss him I'm sure.

However, we still have a great team if some tinkering is done. The window to win does not, nor should it change.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
What grudge? I loved AA as a GM here. It' just not usual to hear a report come out from the media about this organization that has come true throughout AA's whole tenure. I'm very much leaning toward the report being not as true. If not, who else leaked it?

AA wasn't the only one in that room. Seems to me that there's more than a few guys in there who would come out in his support once he left.

Also his answer in the conference call pretty much confirmed that it happened (although 'scolded' does appear to be a strong word)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If you want to keep top talent you have to give them incentives - this applies to management as well. I don't see what's wrong with AA wanting more independence after giving Jays fans their best season in years.

Ownership ultimately decided they value Shapiro over AA - I don't understand why everyone isn't furious over this....

They chose to keep what is basically the same management structure the team has always had (and what lot of teams have) as opposed to hamstringing the president.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
This is on Rogers

Rogers hired Shapiro and gave him player personnel powers, knowing that it means AA would very likely be out the door.

They made their choice in August. As to whether they regret it now...who knows.
Should have seen it coming, since they were also after another 'baseball guy' in Duquette.

Dont think their intentions were for AA to leave, but they definitely did not want him having full power.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yup. Trim the roster. Build from the draft like the Royals. But I'd wait it out 2 years if I were shapiro or else fans will RIP on him.

This organization has been building for the future for 20 years. Finally "the future" has arrived and people want to dismantle it and wait another 5+ years? Why should I trust Shapiro?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
They chose to keep what is basically the same management structure the team has always had (and what lot of teams have) as opposed to hamstringing the president.

This is not the same structure. AA had full control on the baseball side, outside of term/$$ which was Beeston.

Assuming AA left based on the general thought, Shapiro would have final say on term/$$ and personnel.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Showing the executive the year the door after he didn't want to give up his control.

You know who else did that? The Denver Nuggets. How's that working out for them? :laugh:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
This organization has been building for the future for 20 years. Finally "the future" has arrived and people want to dismantle it and wait another 5+ years? Why should I trust Shapiro?

What people want to dismantle it other than the minority on a hockey forum baseball thread? Why wouldn't you trust Shapiro? Do you automatically not trust everyone you've never met or dealt with before? :laugh:

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
AA did a nice job for Toronto. He knew he wouldn't be around next year when he made the Price trade.

He'll find another gm position let's be honest Toronto probably isn't on most potential gm's top 20 wish list.

Shapiro is a good dude.

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
You realized he inherited a complete mess from JP. He unloaded some bad contracts (Wells etc), and had completely re-stocked their farm system which enabled him to put this team together. All this in 5 years in pretty impressive, i'm sure the Leafs would be drooling if they could make the Conference Finals in 5 years.

Probably not, I doubt he's been around long enough.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
No chance that Toronto rebuilds. Ridiculous to assume it.

Stupider things have happened in baseball. Loria said he wanted to make the Miami Marlins competitive and need public funds to build a new stadium. And then he traded away Buerhle, Reyes, and so on to the Jays in a move that screams "lol we're not competing."

Never assume.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
AA did a nice job for Toronto. He knew he wouldn't be around next year when he made the Price trade.

He'll find another gm position let's be honest Toronto probably isn't on most potential gm's top 20 wish list.

Shapiro is a good dude.

GM's will go anywhere if given the chance.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Showing the executive the year the door after he didn't want to give up his control.

You know who else did that? The Denver Nuggets. How's that working out for them? :laugh:

The Toronto Blue Jays aren't the Denver Nuggets.

Completley different situations.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is such a "Toronto Sports Day" - it's why this city can't have nice things.

don't you think that's a touch melodramatic.

again. we don't even know what Shapiro will do, who he'll replace AA with or what they'll do.

AA decided of his own free will not to accept his job. that's on him. that's not a Toronto sports day thing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@EricFrancis: Perhaps now is the best time to remind people the whole world had him fired 4 months ago when they started courting Shapiro.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
So much this.
The only knock to me is the Dickey trade, but hindsight is 20/20. We were trading for the NL Cy Young winner. Albeit a knuckleballer. No one knew what Thor or D'Arnaud were going to be.
However, pulling off Lawrie + prospects for the probable AL MVP makes up for it.

Agreed. AA got caught with his pants down going for it with the Dickey trade. Whether that was self inflicted or urged upon by the higher ups to help create a buzz around the team, we may never know. But that was his biggest downfall because it put him on the clock to win now.

However, in the grand scheme of things, he replenished the system that J.P. left bare, rid of Wells' albatross contract, signed the Jays' two best hitters to team friendly contracts, brought in a franchise player in Donaldson, and used the prospect depth he built up a second time for a division championship and was close to an AL pennant. All the while still leaving the system in decent shape going forward while stretching the window of competitiveness for the big league club by a few years with the acquisitions of Tulo and Martin (and Donaldson).

He wasn't perfect, but he was adjusting every day as he was learning on the job and I was really hopeful that he would see this thing through without much meddling.

This stings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad