Blue Jays Discussion: No More AA, Everyone is very Sad (and by Sad, I mean Mad)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I don't understand? I thought he was offered a 5 year contract but turned it down?

There is the assumption that Shapiro wanted control of player personnel decisions. Shapiro put a hand on Alex's wheel. Alex doesn't want that. That's how I am taking it. Has nothing to do with 5 years. That would basically be a demotion for Alex.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't understand? I thought he was offered a 5 year contract but turned it down?

They did offer him that term, but reading between the lines there seems to be something that was being disputed - ie a breakdown in the Shaprio-AA relationship, lack of independence in his job, ect.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This exact same thing very likely would have happened with Duquette too. I think the Jays were just following new trends of going after presidents with extensive experience in baseball operations.

tokyoite

I changed my name from "nipponjin" last summer.
Feb 22, 2015
Tokyo metropolitan area JPN
I don't know why people are so upset. He only had a one good season. 479-483 since 2010. Yes, below .500. If the team had been in the playoffs for last 2 season, he has something. I don't think he has done anything spectacular other than a couple of moves this season. So in 5 years, 1 year defines him ? Look at it for what it is.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Rogers offered AA a reported 5 year extension. Allegedly Shapiro wanted a final say in player moves. This isn't much of a change from the relationship Beeston and AA had with each other. Beeston had the ability to nix deals, but didn't because he trusted AA. It appears AA wasn't willing to build that trust with Shapiro and left. In reality the situation didn't change all that much.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
With AA gone, is it likely that Gibbons will be gone before next year too? I can't see whoever becomes the Jay's next GM wanting to keep him around.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
The Jays are going to go back to m being cheap and doing nothing in terms of trades or big free agent signings etc. Atleast this is what it tells me if they're mad AA traded prospects.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Do we really need a thread title that tries to speak for everyone? I am neither mad or sad that AA is leaving. I might have been slightly shocked if we hadn't known for ages that this was a distinct possibility. I thought AA did a good job as GM and would have liked him to stay. But Rogers obviously was not willing to meet certain conditions he wanted and AA felt he had to leave. This sort of thing happens. No need to be sad or mad about it. I'll just keep watching and see what happens next. It' sustain part of the drama of following a sports team.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Also, its funny how we (the team and Anthopolous) ran a tight lipped ship regarding everything, yet the second the report comes out that AA isn't coming back there is a following report that Shapiro "ripped" AA about trading prospects. So either that report is messed up or AA is extremely petty about the situation and leaked the report like a rat.

Yup, that must be it. Look at AA just ripping the Jays in this phone call.

Your grudge with AA borders on ridiculous.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yup. Trim the roster. Build from the draft like the Royals. But I'd wait it out 2 years if I were shapiro or else fans will RIP on him.

Took the Royals 8 years to make the playoffs after Moore was hired.

So I guess I should stop paying attention until 2023?

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
There is the assumption that Shapiro wanted control of player personnel decisions. Shapiro put a hand on Alex's wheel. Alex doesn't want that. That's how I am taking it. Has nothing to do with 5 years. That would basically be a demotion for Alex.

They did offer him that term, but reading between the lines there seems to be something that was being disputed - ie a breakdown in the Shaprio-AA relationship, lack of independence in his job, ect.

I think Shapiro was hired just after AA made his Hail Mary pass (the trade deadline). Until that point AA's record and trades with the Jays had been at best MEH. The team got into the playoffs by going on an almost unimaginable run. I think it was wise for Rogers to not want to throw AA the keys to everything. It wasn't long ago AA was inching close to the chopping block.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Do we really need a thread title that tries to speak for everyone? I am neither mad or sad that AA is leaving. I might have been slightly shocked if we hadn't known for ages that this was a distinct possibility. I thought AA did a good job as GM and would have liked him to stay. But Rogers obviously was not willing to meet certain conditions he wanted and AA felt he had to leave. This sort of thing happens. No need to be sad or mad about it. I'll just keep watching and see what happens next. It' sustain part of the drama of following a sports team.

You care too much about a thread title.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Rogers offered AA a reported 5 year extension. Allegedly Shapiro wanted a final say in player moves. This isn't much of a change from the relationship Beeston and AA had with each other. Beeston had the ability to nix deals, but didn't because he trusted AA. It appears AA wasn't willing to build that trust with Shapiro and left. In reality the situation didn't change all that much.

right?!

like. it just sounds to me Shapiro has all the same powers that Beeston had. the only difference is, Shapiro may want to deploy those powers more, but we don't know. It just feels that AA didn't want to be bothered. Which is his decision but i don't get the mud slinging.

1/3rd of the NHL has this set up already and they function just fine. and I get people rage at Hockey/Baseball comparisions, but I figure a front office is a front office is a front office. AA would have had to report to SOMEONE and if AA wanted to go do something massive, he would have had to tell SOMEONE and that someone would have had the authority to say no.

so. once again.
I don't see what the big deal is.
Contract offered, AA said, let's stop rendering the sackcloth and ashes and be all dooom doom doom.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I don't know why people are so upset. He only had a one good season. 479-483 since 2010. Yes, below .500. If the team had been in the playoffs for last 2 season, he has something. I don't think he has done anything spectacular other than a couple of moves this season. So in 5 years, 1 year defines him ? Look at it for what it is.

You realized he inherited a complete mess from JP. He unloaded some bad contracts (Wells etc), and had completely re-stocked their farm system which enabled him to put this team together. All this in 5 years in pretty impressive, i'm sure the Leafs would be drooling if they could make the Conference Finals in 5 years.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

His record and number of playoff appearances does not do his body of work justice, particularly considering where he started when he inherited the team.

Building up one of the best prospect pools in baseball and managing to trade highly touted prospects away and maintain a quality farm system. Pulling off some crazy trades that almost every fanbase is envious of .. Building the best offense in baseball without buying it in FA

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
You realized he inherited a complete mess from JP. He unloaded some bad contracts (Wells etc), and had completely re-stocked their farm system which enabled him to put this team together. All this in 5 years in pretty impressive, i'm sure the Leafs would be drooling if they could make the Conference Finals in 5 years.

This. Funny because JP was the one who was touted but AA schooled him. He did a damn good job.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you want to keep top talent you have to give them incentives - this applies to management as well. I don't see what's wrong with AA wanting more independence after giving Jays fans their best season in years.

Ownership ultimately decided they value Shapiro over AA - I don't understand why everyone isn't furious over this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad