GDT: NJD @ WSH; Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So you don't think the goalie has a lot to do with the amount of PP goals allowed? Sometimes they're making amazing stops and sometimes they aren't, that has a lot to do with how many goals are allowed. Even tonight, the second PP goal probably should have been stopped, but who cares, that wasn't what was being talked about.

There are certainly many more moving pieces to a PP and PK than 1 defenseman.

You're all over the place on this, did you even read what I was responding too? First you thought it had to do with tonight's game and now you think it's all about the goalies when it had nothing to do with either of those things.

Still not sure how I was "flattering myself" by responding to a post with pretty innocuous stuff.
You seemed to be saying the goalies are letting these pucks dribble in. I challenge you to watch every PP goal allowed, and tell me which is on the goalies. Maybe I misunderstood you, and if I did I apologize. Saying the goalie has a lot to do with our PP goals is like the ''Marty has a 910 save percentage which is well below league average blah blah blah blah''

The second goal allowed tonight yeah. I'll give you that, Marty should have stopped it.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Kovy absolutely took over this game and turned it in our favor. We are so lucky to have one of the handful of game breakers in the league that can do that.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
You seemed to be saying the goalies are letting these pucks dribble in. I challenge you to watch every PP goal allowed, and tell me which is on the goalies. Maybe I misunderstood you, and if I did I apologize. Saying the goalie has a lot to do with our PP goals is like the ''Marty has a 910 save percentage which is well below league average blah blah blah blah''

The second goal allowed tonight yeah. I'll give you that, Marty should have stopped it.

No no, was a very broad general idea that the Goalie has a big factor on Power Play goals allowed. If they're making amazing saves then everyone looks like a world beater and when they're letting in crappy goals then everyone looks like they stink.

"Best penalty killer is your goalie" has been said for decades, and especially when the guy was talking about only 40 minutes of hockey that's especially true. A big save or two extra makes a big difference when looking at numbers.

To use tonight's game and a non Power Play example, nobody is bashing Greene because he screwed up catching that puck and gave Ovechkin that breakaway. That may have been the most obviously bad play in the game, but since it wasn't a goal nobody cares. To bring it back to the goalie and the PP, when the goalie is making big saves everyone thinks all the penalty killers are doing great, regardless of if they are or not.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kovy also killed off that penalty by himself against Carolina last week. I wish we could give Kovy the C.

Not that I mind Salvador with it.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No no, was a very broad general idea that the Goalie has a big factor on Power Play goals allowed. If they're making amazing saves then everyone looks like a world beater and when they're letting in crappy goals then everyone looks like they stink.

"Best penalty killer is your goalie" has been said for decades, and especially when the guy was talking about only 40 minutes of hockey that's especially true. A big save or two extra makes a big difference when looking at numbers.

To use tonight's game and a non Power Play example, nobody is bashing Greene because he screwed up catching that puck and gave Ovechkin that breakaway. That may have been the most obviously bad play in the game, but since it wasn't a goal nobody cares. To bring it back to the goalie and the PP, when the goalie is making big saves everyone thinks all the penalty killers are doing great, regardless of if they are or not.

Alright I misunderstood you a little bit. I see what you're saying. I still don't believe the goaltending has played nearly a big part in the PK though. I can't remember too many piss poor goals allowed on the PK by the goalies. Marty's second tonight I'll give you that. The Tavares one on Moose kinda sucked, but it was a 5 on 3 essentially. I remember Marty coming to play the puck in OT against the Isles and he got burned when we were on a PK.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Alright I misunderstood you a little bit. I see what you're saying. I still don't believe the goaltending has played nearly a big part in the PK though. I can't remember too many piss poor goals allowed on the PK by the goalies. Marty's second tonight I'll give you that. The Tavares one on Moose kinda sucked, but it was a 5 on 3 essentially. I remember Marty coming to play the puck in OT against the Isles and he got burned when we were on a PK.

It can just as easily be the opposite too, goalies playing amazing on the PK at certain times also can make us think players are doing a better job at the PK than they're doing.

In the example given he was talking about 4 goals allowed total, so 1 big save not made one way and one big save made on the other changes things from 3-1 to 2-2.

Of course, that's not even touching the bugaboo that sometimes the other team will just make really good play or make really good shots, they are up a man after all. :laugh:

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice Greene.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
It's easy to say after he scored tonight but Loktionov has so much more offensive game than Josefson. The pass behind the net to Elias a couple games ago was beautiful, he was patient and had a nice pass to Kovalchuk tonight and obviously finished and tied the game later on. I'm a fan so far.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Only saw the third period, but I loved the way Kovy played. So much effort in his game tonight. Don't want him tiring himself out tho. We'll need him.

Can't recall what happened exactly at the end of the 2nd period but something frustrated Kovalchuk big time. Then he made this game his personal business.

Impressive.

Last edited:

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Can't recall what happened exactly at the end of the 2nd period but something frustrated Kovalchuk big time. Then he took this game as his own business.

Impressive.

It was a combo of him missing a very easy chance, and someone laying on top of him in the Washington crease at the end of the 2nd

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think Greene was the other spectator on that PP goal, the first one.

Him, and Tallinder were like ''Yeah nice save Marty!'' and then they saw they heard the goal horn go off!:laugh::laugh:

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Parody Twitter Account

Lou Lamoriello ‏@LamorielloLou
Clark, please inform the officials of tonight's Devils game that their families will be returned to them unharmed.

:laugh::laugh:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's easy to say after he scored tonight but Loktionov has so much more offensive game than Josefson. The pass behind the net to Elias a couple games ago was beautiful, he was patient and had a nice pass to Kovalchuk tonight and obviously finished and tied the game later on. I'm a fan so far.

And look who happened to be on the line with Loktionov! No Barch It looked like Poni, and Gio. It was some makeshift line or partial line change. Odd that 3 guys on 3 different line happened to make up one.

Larsson with the initial shot made things happen though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Greene also gets more leeway because he plays 20-25 minutes a night in all situations and generally doesn't screw up nearly as much as guys who play less than him.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

He's a lot stronger along the boards than I expected for what "looks like", and he is pretty good on the forecheck.

If he keeps up that play with consistency, Yayo will have to really pick up his game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
His stick work in our end was at its best tonight.

Ovi made him look stupid (but he did that to Tally and Greene as well), but ya Sal was pretty good tonight. Definitely noticed more positive things from him for the first time in a bit. Volch our other whipping boy wasn't that bad either.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Greene also gets more leeway because he plays 20-25 minutes a night in all situations and generally doesn't screw up nearly as much as guys who play less than him.

Correct, which is why I didn't say anything.

Although I only mentioned Salvador when Ovechkin made him look silly and Tallinder when he looked ridiculous giving up that goal.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It was a combo of him missing a very easy chance, and someone laying on top of him in the Washington crease at the end of the 2nd

Yep, MSG panned to him on the bench and he was quite frustrated and muttered something after not getting that around the crease/shot/redirection easy one ...if he had lifted that.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sal was coned by Ovechkin too, but was better late in the game.

I guess you can't get too frustrated with Salvador getting coned by a guy who's an elite player when he wants to be.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yep, MSG panned to him on the bench and he was quite frustrated and muttered something after not getting that around the crease/shot/redirection easy one ...if he had lifted that.

They panned on him a few times after that going into the third too. You could see he was fired up and trying to get everyone else fired up with him. Worked. It took a long time to get the tying goal, but Kovy was flying from the moment the 3rd started.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know one thing. We cannot let Conerik out there on Saturday. Ovy and company will pass him around like a blow up doll again.

It will probably be Moose in net. Let's give him a better performance than that ****fest last weekend against the fish sticks.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Parody Twitter Account

Clark, please inform the officials of tonight's Devils game that their families will be returned to them unharmed.

:laugh::laugh:

Thank you for this.

I didn't want to let it get public but I think the fact that Henrik and Anton are still in the lineup makes it obvious: Mark Fayne is dead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad