GDT: NJD @ WSH; Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Devils Insiders

Oct 24, 2009
A few calls went their way in the third and the Devils made the most of it with a pair of goals in the final frame. Our Instant Insight is up at Devils Insiders...what we liked, what needs to be fixed for Saturday...

http://wp.me/p347yn-rn

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
did deb interview sushi?

o god i hope not.

Like I said, got 2 points and I'll take it and be happy with it. On to Saturday, gonna be important to get as many points as possible. Positioning in the top 8 could be crazy all the way til the end of the season.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The most important part of a PK is the goalie, when the goalie makes big saves everyone looks good, when the goalie lets a dribbler go in then everyone looks bad.

I'm not prepared to use 9 minutes and 33 minutes of ice time to decide what a guy can and can't do forever. I don't think Tallinder is the best PK guy on the team, but I think he does a fine job on the PK in general.

That first goal was not on Marty.

The second goal that was on him that dribbled through him, Conerik I don't think was even on the ice for that one. Don't flatter yourself.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Zidlicky - 23:33
Tallinder - 13:37
Larsson - 13:25

Not sure what game our coach was watching.

Frustrates me that Larsson looks as good back there as anyone (and this is before his offensive contribution tonight) and yet he still seems to play the least of all of our D-men. I know he plays as little, if not less special teams time than anyone else, but still. I can't figure it out, be it why the numbers are shaking out that way or why he's not getting more of a look on the PP or even the PK.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That first goal was not on Marty.

The second goal that was on him that dribbled through Conerik I don't think was even on the ice for that one. Don't flatter yourself.

How am I flattering myself by making general comments about PK'ing in general?:laugh:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How am I flattering myself by making general comments about PK'ing in general?:laugh:

First goal was on Tallinder, and whoever that was to the left of him. Marty made the save, but was in no position to cover the rebound.

Second goal was borderline. Marty probably should have had it cause I don't think it changed direction. We were pinned in the zone for a minute though so it was inevitable. Not to mention the missed call Gio should have drawn which I won't complain about now. Tallinder was not on the ice for that goal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wow, there's no excuse to be giving Larsson only thirteen minutes. I know there was a lot of ST time but still, there's plenty of time the other forty minutes to play him a decent amount.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
First goal was on Tallinder, and whoever that was to the left of him. Marty made the save, but was in no position to cover the rebound.

Second goal was borderline. Marty probably should have had it cause I don't think it changed direction. We were pinned in the zone for a minute though so it was inevitable. Not to mention the missed call Gio should have drawn which I won't complain about now. Tallinder was not on the ice for that goal.

He wasn't talking about tonight, the guy posted the year long Short Handed ice time numbers. I don't know why you keep commenting on the 2 goals tonight, which don't apply.

JMarce

Feb 4, 2012
Moar boar wants moar Larsson
jTXndDylGBVBA.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Not to mention Tally getting coned is what led directly the penalty where he got coned and caused a goal. Funny how that works.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Larsson doesn't play PPs and we had a jillion in the 3rd. I'm not worried about his ice time considering Petey has made it known he is trying to limit his situations outside of 5 on 5. Give it time.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not to mention Tally getting coned is what led directly the penalty where he got coned and caused a goal. Funny how that works.

He also had just as bad of a game against the Isles which got him a pass cause he was rusty. He caused 2 of the 5 goals I think, maybe 3. He caused the penalty shot, he took a dumb penalty which caused another goal.

All in all as bad as the PKing has been we're top 3 in least amount of even strength goals against in the league. I think half the goals we've given up have been PP goals against. There's had to be 5 games this year where we've given up 0 even strength goals.

The two shutouts, opening night against the Isles, both Pittsburgh games the other weekend. This game tonight.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Finally won a game without Fayne! It was a lucky win, but still a win!

Unfortunately that probably means he'll be sitting out another game.

lboogie42*

Only saw the third period, but I loved the way Kovy played. So much effort in his game tonight. Don't want him tiring himself out tho. We'll need him.

DevilChuk*

Finally won a game without Fayne! It was a lucky win, but still a win!

Unfortunately that probably means he'll be sitting out another game.

I don't think Fayne sitting has anything to do with quality of play. They have too many defensemen and they are doing a rotation so no-one sits out for too long.

Larsson sat for 5 games, Tallinder sat for 5 games, Fayne is sitting now.. wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Saturday and another defensemen is asked to sit for a few.

rtr1105

1995 • 2000 • 2003
Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey, USA

While I don't think Larsson had his best game today, he still played decent and did a good job on the Loki goal. But he's still gotta be playing top minutes along with Greene. The reason Zods got so much IT was probably the plethora of power plays in the third.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He wasn't talking about tonight, the guy posted the year long Short Handed ice time numbers. I don't know why you keep commenting on the 2 goals tonight, which don't apply.

And you seem to be blaming it on the goaltenders. Watch every PP goal given up, and tell me what was on the goalies. The ones against Pittsburgh were not. Don't think any against the Isles on Moose were. Maybe one of them, but that's not significant.

Our goaltenders have amazing numbers at even strength. Marty a 930+, and Moose has to have a 950+ at even strength

We have the 3rd least amount of even strength goals against in the league. We have a bottom 10 PK in the league. Tell me the goalies are at fault.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Only saw the third period, but I loved the way Kovy played. So much effort in his game tonight. Don't want him tiring himself out tho. We'll need him.

Kovy's energy willed us to this win, refs or no refs. He seemed like he just didn't want to be denied tonight despite everything. Wasn't just the play either. You could see him between shifts, during stoppages, on the bench doing what he could to fire the team up, and it worked because the team woke up in the third in a big way.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Larsson sat for 5 games, Tallinder sat for 5 games, Fayne is sitting now.. wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Saturday and another defensemen is asked to sit for a few.

Wonderful, Greene'll be the next to sit and I'll REALLY **** a brick.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
And you seem to be blaming it on the goaltenders. Watch every PP goal given up, and tell me what was on the goalies. The ones against Pittsburgh were not. Don't think any against the Isles on Moose were. Maybe one of them, but that's not significant.

Our goaltenders have amazing numbers at even strength. Marty a 930+, and Moose has to have a 950+ at even strength

We have the 3rd least amount of even strength goals in the league. We have a bottom 10 PK in the league. Tell me the goalies are at fault.

So you don't think the goalie has a lot to do with the amount of PP goals allowed? Sometimes they're making amazing stops and sometimes they aren't, that has a lot to do with how many goals are allowed. Even tonight, the second PP goal probably should have been stopped, but who cares, that wasn't what was being talked about.

There are certainly many more moving pieces to a PP and PK than 1 defenseman.

You're all over the place on this, did you even read what I was responding too? First you thought it had to do with tonight's game and now you think it's all about the goalies when it had nothing to do with either of those things.

Still not sure how I was "flattering myself" by responding to a post with pretty innocuous stuff.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because I'm a little compulsive, and overly paranoid I thought after the Russia debacle it was worth questioning if Kovy was captain material. Then it turns out it was way overblown the whole thing. Watching Kovy this year I'm more convinced than ever that he's captain material this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

You forgot one: Salvador - 25:16...and with zero PP time. He was a +2 though, so at least it was one of his better games other than the penalty he caused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad