Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think i'd actually seen up close, that Jake Allen mask in the trade announcement twitter image before, but it's absolutely beautiful. Sad he'll have to get a new one...but also excited, because Jake Allen is consistently one of the "best dressed" goalies. Just impeccable style most of the time.

As for the actual hockey part of the deal...at this price, he's a potentially terrific backup at serviceable backup money. That's certainly a useful thing for the Devils to have in place, behind whatever they end up doing in net as a starter next year.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't think i'd actually seen up close, that Jake Allen mask in the trade announcement twitter image before, but it's absolutely beautiful. Sad he'll have to get a new one...but also excited, because Jake Allen is consistently one of the "best dressed" goalies. Just impeccable style most of the time.

martin_brodeur_retires.jpg

Trying to find the article, but I remember reading an article when Brodeur joined St. Louis. Allen mentioned that he had Brodeur's 2002-04 era Heaton setup as a kid and how much he loved them.

I've seen a few goalies recently wearing a custom CCM Heaton 10 graphic. Unfortunately it seems that Allen switched from CCM to True. But I wonder if he might geek out about wearing a Heaton 10 graphic as a Devil.

• Love
Reactions: HabzSauce

Demigod Gloves

Oct 1, 2017
It makes no sense for the devils to take Allen, unless they want Allen to act as a mentor, he's been crap for the last 2 seasons, thanks for the pick I guess, they fixed Hughes mistake.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder how the conditions work out if Allen is traded during the season. Say.... what happens if Allen plays 35 games for NJ, and is traded at the deadline to another team, plays 6 games for them, and NJ makes the playoffs but the 2nd team doesn't. (or, the opposite).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Really thought Allen was at least 36 so to find out he'll "only" be 34 next season is a pleasant surprise.

If the Devils can land an actual starting goalie this summer and Allen is a solid enough backup next season only costing NJ a 3rd round pick, then this might not be an awful deal.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I wonder how the conditions work out if Allen is traded during the season. Say.... what happens if Allen plays 35 games for NJ, and is traded at the deadline to another team, plays 6 games for them, and NJ makes the playoffs but the 2nd team doesn't. (or, the opposite).
I would imagine that would be "ducking" the conditions of the trade and the higher pick would have to be forfeited.

I'm sure there is something to protect against this

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If he can come in and be a solid backup and play about 20 to 30 games that would be great.

Fitzgerald is still probably going to go out and get Markstrom or someone else. If we can get a good starter and have Allen as a backup it let's us develop Daws + Schmid in the AHL. The following season one of them can battle for the backup spot and hopefully goaltending isn't a weak spot for us anymore.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Don't care about losing retention slot like some of you, Hughes did a great job dumping Allen.

Another Hughes masterclass
The retention slot would've be gone on him this summer anyway.

Habs HAD to settle the 3 goalies situation a way or another, and nobody would've take him without retention (or Habs accepting another anchor contract back).

Reactions: viceroy

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It makes no sense for the devils to take Allen, unless they want Allen to act as a mentor, he's been crap for the last 2 seasons, thanks for the pick I guess, they fixed Hughes mistake.
It makes a lot of sense. He’s signed for 1.9 against the cap next season and is a fine option as the backup if they add another goalie. I’m not sure you realize how dire the Devils’ goalie situation turned.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
Vanecek for Kahkonen was a salary dump for New Jersey, Kahkonen plays out the season relieving two young Goalies who need more time in the AHL and gets to FA maybe with good play in New Jersey to use to his advantage.
Allen is the Devils #2 Goalie next season, perfectly more than capable.
The only problem with these deals by the Devils was the timing. Otherwise, they have flexibility this offseason and added tradeable assets. Plus, we now know that Ullmark is certainly tradeable, so the options to try to land a #1 has increased. NJ WILL get a #1 goalie this offseason, Allen at #2, Daws/Schmid in Utica. Not bad.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Habs must have had a couple offers?
Allen is quoted as saying there were a few offers that were presented to him and he chose NJ. He has a limited no trade clause and had to waive it to go to the devils

Vanecek for Kahkonen was a salary dump for New Jersey, Kahkonen plays out the season relieving two young Goalies who need more time in the AHL and gets to FA maybe with good play in New Jersey to use to his advantage.
Allen is the Devils #2 Goalie next season, perfectly more than capable.
The only problem with these deals by the Devils was the timing. Otherwise, they have flexibility this offseason and added tradeable assets. Plus, we now know that Ullmark is certainly tradeable, so the options to try to land a #1 has increased. NJ WILL get a #1 goalie this offseason, Allen at #2, Daws/Schmid in Utica. Not bad.
that's the issue. Deal is a bit of a desperation move. Allen was available as early as training camp

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So to fix their goaltending issues, NJD decide that Jake Allen-Kaapo Kähkönen is the tandem for them.

Why am I not convinced?

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011

The conditions I read seems to say 40 games played by Allen and "his club" making the playoffs.

So theoretically the Devils could be in playoff position and trade him at the trade deadline to a non-playoff team. But if Allen is playing that much and the Devils are in a playoff position he is probably playing well and we would want to keep him.

It also works the other way. If the Devils are out of the playoffs but Allen has played a bunch and they trade him to a playoff team the Habs get the better pick.

Sorta a nutty provision but if Fitz pulls a shenanigans trade to dodge the pick upgrade is that worth the image hit with his fellow GMs?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I would imagine that would be "ducking" the conditions of the trade and the higher pick would have to be forfeited.

I'm sure there is something to protect against this

If the Devils are a playoff team with Allen playing 35 games by the TDL that means things are going well with Allen in net. Only 26 goalies have 35 GP right now, he would have to be their main starter up to the TDL for this scenario to happen.

And they wouldn’t dick around with goaltending at that point to prevent 3rd from turning into a 2nd.

There’s nothing to protect against.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If the Devils are a playoff team with Allen playing 35 games by the TDL that means things are going well with Allen in net. Only 26 goalies have 35 GP right now, he would have to be their main starter up to the TDL for this scenario to happen.

And they wouldn’t dick around with goaltending at that point to prevent 3rd from turning into a 2nd.

There’s nothing to protect against.
I can buy that. Either he works out and they keep him or he doesn't.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
This looks like a win-win to me.

MTL gets a decent pick and to rid themselves of the 3-headed Dragon, allowing Monty to finally get the lion's share of the workload.

NJ gets a solid backup that might play up a bit on an improved team. Cheap for next season as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00