Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Even in a vacuum, a potential 2nd for a diminished asset is pretty darn good. It's not like the condition is based on winning playoff games. It's merely games played in 1.25 seasons.

In the context of the trades this week, it's very good. This week has been a buyer's market. I'll take it all day.
Like I said, it is ok, but I am puzzled by people who are rejoicing like it is an awesome move.

Best thing about it is it keeps the good reputation of the org when handling aging vets situations. Will help signing free agents.

With Allen and Petry, it has been now 2 times in less than a year that Hughes retains salary for TWO YEARS for an underwhelming returning in order to be nice with vets.

It is a classy move, I'll give that... But Vegas is not classy and they win cups!

Reactions: pth2

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Lol Far from it...While we are not thrilled with the deal it's better than paying what most wanted or said on these forums....Sounds like sour grapes knowing some didn't rob us of our future assets for their overrated goalie....
Rob you.......... Are you looking at what this buyer market is looking like right now....... Rob you of what..... Former 7th overall FUTURE SUPERSTAR Alexander Holtz..... Who every team is DESPERATE to pry away from NJ's cold dead hands....... That's funny....

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Screenshot_20240308_145622_Chrome.jpg

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Like I said, it is ok, but I am puzzled by people who are rejoicing like it is an awesome move.

Best thing about it is it keeps the good reputation of the org when handling aging vets situations. Will help signing free agents.

With Allen and Petry, it has been now 2 times in less than a year that Hughes retains salary for TWO YEARS for an underwhelming returning in order to be nice with vets.

It is a classy move, I'll give that... But Vegas is not classy and they win cups!
Singular at this point.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Rob you.......... Are you looking at what this buyer market is looking like right now....... Rob you of what..... Former 7th overall FUTURE SUPERSTAR Alexander Holtz..... Who every team is DESPERATE to pry away from NJ's cold dead hands....... That's funny....
Mercer a first and unlimited prospects way overrated trades for goalies and you know it ....Holtz might be a very good future piece so you don't know either unless you can see the future....We have more issues than just goaltending if you followed the team....Said it b4 say it again if Calgary was offered Holtz and a first and didn't take it they messed up and glad we didn't do it

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I would've understood if this was for Monty but man Allen has just not been good this or last year.

Durvann

Feb 6, 2013
I guess it makes sense to leverage the habs last retention slot to make the trade work and get some value. This leaves them with a bit more extra room for taking a expiring contract for a bad player this summer which will also net more asset(s).

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Montreal having to use up a retention spot to only get a 3rd is kind of meh. If jake allen gets 40 games, hed be worth way more than a 2nd at only half price. Win win for both teams though.
Honestly I'm surprised there were any takers for Allen, let alone for a 3rd rounder. It's not much, but it's certainly not nothing either.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
They’re taking on half his salary and using up their last retention slot for a 2nd (at best) a year from now?

Not very shrewd. LOL

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Ok so apparently Allen’s 5v5 save percentage is better than any of the Devils goalies. Looks like Montreal PK has been a tire fire. Is Allen worse than usual on the PK?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ok so apparently Allen’s 5v5 save percentage is better than any of the Devils goalies. Looks like Montreal PK has been a tire fire. Is Allen worse than usual on the PK?
Brendan Smith should slot back into the lineup now which is a very good thing for our PK at least

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00