Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Yes. which is not to say Allen is a great goaltender. He is a decent goaltender and Daws is crap.
I disagree. I would say Daws is better IMO and even if he wasn't, i wouldn't think a third and possible second is what I would've paid for a below average goaltender when we already have three of them

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks like Fitzgerald has solved his goaltending problem and got the retention he wanted so badly. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Then there is only 1 slot left in 2024-2025 with expiring contracts like Savard and Armia to trade.

Not great.

I'm not sure why other Habs fans hail it like a super deal by Hughes.
Keep in mind though, it's easier to use 3d party retention for expiring contracts. Savard, Evans, Dvorak, could all be rented out through 3d party retention, at the cost of a few midround picks.

I agree this deal is just "ok", it's like losing Allen on waivers and then getting paid in picks for the retention.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Overall, this is giving away Allen, and getting a 3d or 2nd for the retention.

It's not all bad for NJ - they get a veteran goalie for next season at a low salary, and for only one season. I think length of contracts is underestimated, as value, since teams won't want to sign a long-term deal nor pick up a scrub willing to sign 1 year deals.

Also, I think this stalled because Montreal held out the hope of getting its asking price for Savard, and that final retention spot was unavailable until something like noon today, when it got clear that Savard was staying.
Lebrun said that Devils and Habs had been talking Allen from start of year. Allen was consolation prize for Devils after MArkstrom deal fell through. My gut says Savard had nothing to do with timing of Allen deal.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
The third round pick is maybe a 2nd round pick is maybe a super high 2nd round pick is pretty much a first rounder.

Hughes wins again, ladies. :cool:

Reactions: Jee

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I disagree. I would say Daws is better IMO and even if he wasn't, i wouldn't think a third and possible second is what I would've paid for a below average goaltender when we already have three of them
A previous response explained how this deal might keep Daws out of a few games, meaning his waiver-eligibility is pushed back, so next season NJ can play him in the minors.

Reactions: Puckclektr

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I would've been quite happy to sell Fitzgerald Nedeljkovic for a 3rd. Less money, good numbers and no term.

How many other guys on the roster are likely to be traded with retention between now and a year from now? Armia and Savard. That's it. A year from now, there will be teams able to take them at their full salary - especially with the higher cap next year.

There's a very good chance it's a second round pick. This is a good move for Montreal.
Ned's numbers have been in the gutter lately. Allen is ahead of him in GSAx on the year.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
How many other guys on the roster are likely to be traded with retention between now and a year from now? Armia and Savard. That's it. A year from now, there will be teams able to take them at their full salary - especially with the higher cap next year.

There's a very good chance it's a second round pick. This is a good move for Montreal.
What about the UFAs we'll sign for a year this summer (like Monahan last year)? We'll be sellers again.

This is meh at best. Mistake was signing Allen for that long in the first place.

Like I said, retaining 1,5-2,5 millions at the deadline for a few months gets you normally a 4th.

This is not a great thing to get paid a 3rd to pay basically 3 millions dollars in real money and lose a retention slot for 2 years.

Reactions: Macheteops

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Lebrun said that Devils and Habs had been talking Allen from start of year. Allen was consolation prize for Devils after MArkstrom deal fell through. My gut says Savard had nothing to do with timing of Allen deal.
There can be multiple dependencies - this worked as long as Montreal had a retention slot free, and as long as NJ didn't get Markstrom.

bighab

Mar 27, 2022
Charlottetown
There are two Jake Allens:

1. Hand-grenade in the crease, where did the puck even go, I can't see it Jake Allen.

This Jake Allen sucks. Expect him to show up to half of your games.

2. 40 impossible saves, and one terrible goal let in Jake Allen.

This Jake Allen is good. He will leave you scratching your head, but he also shows up to about half of the games.

Devils need consistency. This is not what you will be getting with Jake Allen.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
There are two Jake Allens:

1. Hand-grenade in the crease, where did the puck even go, I can't see it Jake Allen.

This Jake Allen sucks. Expect him to show up to half of your games.

2. 40 impossible saves, and one terrible goal let in Jake Allen.

This Jake Allen is good. He will leave you scratching your head, but he also shows up to about half of the games.

Devils need consistency. This is not what you will be getting with Jake Allen.
Goalies showing up for 50% of games sounds better than our current 15%

Reactions: scoopscj

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The third round pick is maybe a 2nd round pick is maybe a super high 2nd round pick is pretty much a first rounder.

Hughes wins again, ladies. :cool:
He always wins, except his team is garbage and no light at the end of the tunnel

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The condition being <40 games IN 2025 makes this deal far more palatable since next year he's either going to be backing up a true like Markstrom/Ullmark OR he'll be in a tandem with someone else. And NJ can simply shut him down if they're out of the playoffs again.

If Jake Allen plays 40 games next year then that means the Devils have far, far bigger problems than a 2nd round pick.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
What about the UFAs we'll sign for a year this summer (like Monahan last year)? We'll be sellers again.

This is meh at best. Mistake was signing Allen for that long in the first place.

Like I said, retaining 1,5-2,5 millions at the deadline for a few months gets you normally a 4th.

This is not a great thing to get paid a 3rd to pay basically 3 millions dollars in real money and lose a retention slot for 2 years.
Montreal is near the top of the league in 1-goal games, and have a 16-10-6 record in those games. While it's certainly possible they'll be sellers, I don't think it's a given. Any UFAs signed wouldn't necessarily be one-year deals for the purposes of flipping. If they do sell, Savard will be seen as a premium and not hard to move. They didn't have to retain on Monahan, got it done early, and got value that is better than some of the return this week.

I don't think there's a reason to be glass half empty here.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Allen was in a tough spot. Montembault is better, but too little usage due to splitting tim with Primeau as the backup sure did not help

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Then there is only 1 slot left in 2024-2025 with expiring contracts like Savard and Armia to trade.

Not great.

I'm not sure why other Habs fans hail it like a super deal by Hughes.
With the cap going up, it is possible retention might not have the same value as it does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $681.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00