Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
that would almost confime that he is going for a number 1 and then running another goalie with Allen. But if we are gonig with Allen as a backup, is he really that much better than Daws playing 25 games?
Yes. which is not to say Allen is a great goaltender. He is a decent goaltender and Daws is crap.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Kent.jpg

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Well the spot spent on Edmundson opens back up in July.
Then there is only 1 slot left in 2024-2025 with expiring contracts like Savard and Armia to trade.

Not great.

I'm not sure why other Habs fans hail it like a super deal by Hughes.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A 3rd round pick for Allen at 50%. Seems reasonable. Esp if it converts to a 2nd with some conditions of success.

I'm not a Habs fan by any stretch, but their GM continues to demonstrate he knows what he's doing. And that club is probably in good hands long term as a result.

Reactions: Chose and barbu

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Allen was solid for us in the previous seasons mister stat watcher. So you definitely are SHIT at evaluating talent.
Of course I’m a stat watcher, why tf would anyone watch the Habs other than Habs fans?

Btw, the stats show Allen is SHIT

Edit: SHIT for years

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Bit worried NJ did this cause Martin Brodeur had some charming conversations with Jake Allen when he was St. Louis's goalie in 2014.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Overall, this is giving away Allen, and getting a 3d or 2nd for the retention.

It's not all bad for NJ - they get a veteran goalie for next season at a low salary, and for only one season. I think length of contracts is underestimated, as value, since teams won't want to sign a long-term deal nor pick up a scrub willing to sign 1 year deals.

Also, I think this stalled because Montreal held out the hope of getting its asking price for Savard, and that final retention spot was unavailable until something like noon today, when it got clear that Savard was staying.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Then there is only 1 slot left in 2024-2025 with expiring contracts like Savard and Armia to trade.

Not great.

I'm not sure why other Habs fans hail it like a super deal by Hughes.
How many other guys on the roster are likely to be traded with retention between now and a year from now? Armia and Savard. That's it. A year from now, there will be teams able to take them at their full salary - especially with the higher cap next year.

There's a very good chance it's a second round pick. This is a good move for Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00