Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
There can be multiple dependencies - this worked as long as Montreal had a retention slot free, and as long as NJ didn't get Markstrom.
Given who was moving this week, it was clear teams weren't willing to pay Montreal's price for Savard. Lots of plan b's and c's. I don't see the connection. Allen today was a back burner move that was likely at least partly in place if the Markstrom deal fell through.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Shouldn’t the Devils be aiming to be a Cup contender? Fitz thinks Allen is a Stanley Cup contending goaltender?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Montreal is near the top of the league in 1-goal games, and have a 16-10-6 record in those games. While it's certainly possible they'll be sellers, I don't think it's a given. Any UFAs signed wouldn't necessarily be one-year deals for the purposes of flipping. If they do sell, Savard will be seen as a premium and not hard to move. They didn't have to retain on Monahan, got it done early, and got value that is better than some of the return this week.

I don't think there's a reason to be glass half empty here.
I'm not glass empty-ing it, I am just saying it is just a meh move. Some people around here say it is a masterclass by Hughes, which it is not.

Waving Allen and him getting claimed would have gotten about the same if Montreal retained that money as a 3rd team in 2 consecutive deadlines.

Hughes avoided sending a well liked veteran to the minors and saved about 1 million (if we consider the amount saved when you send a player to the AHL) in cap.

That's it.

Ok move, not great move at all.

It is what it is.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Shouldn’t the Devils be aiming to be a Cup contender? Fitz thinks Allen is a Stanley Cup contending goaltender?
Not happy about this move, but Allen is most likely going to be the backup for next season.

I would've rather saved the asset and claimed raanta to finish out this year, but I'm not a GM so whatever.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Montreal having to use up a retention spot to only get a 3rd is kind of meh. If jake allen gets 40 games, hed be worth way more than a 2nd at only half price. Win win for both teams though.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Didn't we tell you ?
Allen !!

Agreed though, the mistake was to sign him.
But KH did good on the trade.

Also, he is not starting 40 games next year.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Ok I feel a lot better about this deal now. The point was to make sure that neither Schmid or Daws are waiver-eligible this summer.

Reposting this again so the people that think this was supposed to be a move to fix the goaltending can think before they post.

what are the conditions of the compensation?

So 0 chance it becomes a 2nd rounder

Reactions: QuizGuy66

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Given who was moving this week, it was clear teams weren't willing to pay Montreal's price for Savard. Lots of plan b's and c's. I don't see the connection. Allen today was a back burner move that was likely at least partly in place if the Markstrom deal fell through.
Well, we'll never know.... for all we know the Leafs were considering Savard at 50% for their 1st until a couple of hours ago.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'm not glass empty-ing it, I am just saying it is just a meh move. Some people around here say it is a masterclass by Hughes, which it is not.

Waving Allen and him getting claimed would have gotten about the same if Montreal retained that money as a 3rd team in 2 consecutive deadlines.

Hughes avoided sending a well liked veteran to the minors and saved about 1 million (if we consider the amount saved when you send a player to the AHL) in cap.

That's it.

Ok move, not great move at all.

It is what it is.
Even in a vacuum, a potential 2nd for a diminished asset is pretty darn good. It's not like the condition is based on winning playoff games. It's merely games played in 1.25 seasons.

In the context of the trades this week, it's very good. This week has been a buyer's market. I'll take it all day.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Fitz is having the most pathetic deadline, he would have been better off turning his phone off and taking a personal day. Absolutely brutal to give up anything for Allen and get next to nothing for Toffoli.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Ha I guess this trade gets Jake a New Jersey to wear :D
Seriously though, he sucks but i give him some slack because of the situation - im not a goalie, but playing one game out of 4-5 makes it impossible to get some momentum going IMO.

I think i would have expected a conditional 3rd instead of a conditional 2nd, but its good. Happy this is over.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Well, we'll never know.... for all we know the Leafs were considering Savard at 50% for their 1st until a couple of hours ago.
The league knew what HuGo wanted. For weeks. If the Leafs, for example, were talking to Montreal today, they'll have known how serious that interest was. $hit or get off the pot. If a team came 'close enough', I'm confident that HuGo would have pulled the trigger on it. I just don't think it was based on who has moved.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
This is just one of those situations where people heard it wrong

"We need to go all in."

and IT. GOES. f***ING. SIDEWAYS.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Montreal having to use up a retention spot to only get a 3rd is kind of meh. If jake allen gets 40 games, hed be worth way more than a 2nd at only half price. Win win for both teams though.

I don't think its a win for Montreal, as you said the retention spot is the ugly factor

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That’s a weird move. He’s more of what they already have in net.
That’s what I was thinking. As a Habs fan, Allen isn’t somebody you want to play more then you have too. But there’s still some value there for them at that cap hit. He will probably get a big boost playing on better team after being left out to dry for so long in Montreal.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Not to mention Hellebuyck.

Imagine going from Gibson, Hellebuyck, Saros, Markstrom, Ullmark... to Allen. The Devils are back to being a Mickey mouse organization.
Lol Far from it...While we are not thrilled with the deal it's better than paying what most wanted or said on these forums....Sounds like sour grapes knowing some didn't rob us of our future assets for their overrated goalie....

Reactions: dgibb10

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The condition being <40 games IN 2025 makes this deal far more palatable since next year he's either going to be backing up a true like Markstrom/Ullmark OR he'll be in a tandem with someone else. And NJ can simply shut him down if they're out of the playoffs again.

If Jake Allen plays 40 games next year then that means the Devils have far, far bigger problems than a 2nd round pick.
And if they shut him down or are out, they will be able to move him, and recover that pick, or close to it. Very low risk deal, don't understand the frustration with it.

Reactions: dgibb10

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If Allen plays the 40 games next season, that second rounder will look absolutely gorgeous

I always wonder how a condition like this doesn't end up being "gamed", with any and all other goalies getting more games to avoid reaching 40 if at all possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $681.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00