Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Like I said, it is ok, but I am puzzled by people who are rejoicing like it is an awesome move.

Best thing about it is it keeps the good reputation of the org when handling aging vets situations. Will help signing free agents.

With Allen and Petry, it has been now 2 times in less than a year that Hughes retains salary for TWO YEARS for an underwhelming returning in order to be nice with vets.

It is a classy move, I'll give that... But Vegas is not classy and they win cups!
I thought people just wanted Allen gone to lose more games ? Idk

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So I told Habs fans your team would be quiet on the deadline. That you didn't have much of anything to horsetrade with. Just like last season.

You made a great deal a month ago on a rental C with a really good AAV and having a decent season, but that was the only thing you had that was desired league wide that you wanted to move.

Allen retained 50%. 94% of you expected quite a bit more than a 3rd rounder for that. So lets add this trade to what we'll call the Domi / Petry list where Habs fans consensus of player value was off the mark.

The truth is... getting a 3rd for Allen at 50% is reasonable move for y'all. That's his value at 50%.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
So I told Habs fans your team would be quiet on the deadline. That you didn't have much of anything to horsetrade with. Just like last season.

You made a great deal a month ago on a rental C with a really good AAV and having a decent season, but that was the only thing you had that was desired league wide that you wanted to move.

Allen retained 50%. Every one of you expected quite a bit more than a 3rd rounder for that. So lets add this trade to what we'll call the Domi / Petry list where Habs fans consensus of player value was off the mark.

The truth is... getting a 3rd for Allen at 50% is reasonable move for y'all. That's his value at 50%.
Every one of you....???? Do you have a connection to the entire Habs fan base??? Please if you have a few schoolgirl arguments with a fan or two...do not generalize to all. We are not the Borg!

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Can there be a bigger let down than hoping for Markstrom and ending up with Allen?

Was Markström 50% retained also available for a 3rd rounder? Also didn't we agree to a trade but your owners shut it down.

I think a way bigger let down is hoping for a significant return for your aging up and down goalie playing his career year, only to miss the trade entirely, miss the playoffs, miss a top pick cause he's playing too good and tank his value while waiting. Getting a <2m backup for the next year for a third rounder is whatever.

Reactions: PWiz30

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ok so apparently Allen’s 5v5 save percentage is better than any of the Devils goalies. Looks like Montreal PK has been a tire fire. Is Allen worse than usual on the PK?

Kind of, but its probably more that Montreal plays worse on the PK when Allen is in the net. Montreal's PK generally sucks.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Allen retained 50%. 94% of you expected quite a bit more than a 3rd rounder for that. So lets add this trade to what we'll call the Domi / Petry list where Habs fans consensus of player value was off the mark.

I'll take "I make stuff up and then act superior" for 400, Alex..

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

No one thought he would bring more than a 2nd with retention.

I thought I saw it reported both seasons but just next season will be very tough then I guess.
It was but apparently that was wrong. 40 isn't happening unless they make the playoffs and he injuries happen.

Reactions: montreal

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Conditions end up being 40+ regular games next season AND the team he is playing for makes the playoffs for the pick to upgrade to a 2nd.

Kahkonen brought in too as we get out of Vitek's final year for a 7th.

So a trial run for Kahkonen and probably a cheap backup for next year in Allen. And we keep Daws and Schmid exempt from waivers for the start of next year. That is all fine.

Fitz with a freer hand to address #1 goalie in the offseason and no longer has to rush the kids.

It is fine.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He hasn't been very consistent this year, but I don't think a 3 goalie system benefits an older vet who needs to play. Great team guy who's capable of going on a run. NJ is obviously a better team than Mtl so he should benefit from that. I think he'll help NJ with a playoff push

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I like this deal a lot more now that the conditions are clearer, Devils will likely look for a legit starter and have Allen backup, and he likely doesn't hit 40 games in that scenario. Or the Devils have him as their starter and he starts the majority of the games, unlikely they're going to the playoffs with him as the starter so unlikely the pick upgrades.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Was Markström 50% retained also available for a 3rd rounder? Also didn't we agree to a trade but your owners shut it down.

I think a way bigger let down is hoping for a significant return for your aging up and down goalie playing his career year, only to miss the trade entirely, miss the playoffs, miss a top pick cause he's playing too good and tank his value while waiting. Getting a <2m backup for the next year for a third rounder is whatever.
Watch your mouth son, don't ever confuse me with a Flames fan.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

94% of you...you changed your post but it is still stupid!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00