Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
Unlike many, I think it’s a move that makes sense for NJ. They obviously given up for this year… but it does no good to their development to keep throwing 2 kids to wolves if you believe they still can be something. And the more value Allen has had for Mtl is a backup veteran mentor for Montembeault. What we heard is he embraced the role and was great help for the mental part. Had a few real bad exits on the playing part but he always been a pro, training hard and takes good care of his body. Pretty sure he can go back to good backup level behind a better defense. 35-45% starts seems like the best for him until the kids take the “baton” and run with it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Unlike many, I think it’s a move that makes sense for NJ. They obviously given up for this year… but it does no good to their development to keep throwing 2 kids to wolves if you believe they still can be something. And the more value Allen has had for Mtl is a backup veteran mentor for Montembeault. What we heard is he embraced the role and was great help for the mental part. Had a few real bad exits on the playing part but he always been a pro, training hard and takes good care of his body. Pretty sure he can go back to good backup level behind a better defense. 35-45% starts seems like the best for him until the kids take the “baton” and run with it.
He's also a great person in thr community.

He'll never say no to someone looking for an autograph, or decline a photo with a fan.

A poster on the Habs board, who's from New Brunswick says he goes back every summer, participates in numerous charity events and donates equipment for underprivileged kids to play hockey.

At his cost at 1.9, I believe the Devils could still look for another goalie and the probability that Allen plays 40 next year costing the Devils a 2nd, instead of a 3rd is low, but that's me basing things off of what I'd do as the Devils GM, which is going back to looking at Markstrom in the off-season, unless I missed something where the deal is broken off and there won't be anymore discussion

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Vanecek for Kahkonen was a salary dump for New Jersey, Kahkonen plays out the season relieving two young Goalies who need more time in the AHL and gets to FA maybe with good play in New Jersey to use to his advantage.
Allen is the Devils #2 Goalie next season, perfectly more than capable.
The only problem with these deals by the Devils was the timing. Otherwise, they have flexibility this offseason and added tradeable assets. Plus, we now know that Ullmark is certainly tradeable, so the options to try to land a #1 has increased. NJ WILL get a #1 goalie this offseason, Allen at #2, Daws/Schmid in Utica. Not bad.
Yeah they should have made this move before Christmas

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I like this deal a lot more now that the conditions are clearer, Devils will likely look for a legit starter and have Allen backup, and he likely doesn't hit 40 games in that scenario. Or the Devils have him as their starter and he starts the majority of the games, unlikely they're going to the playoffs with him as the starter so unlikely the pick upgrades.
i mean, when allen is the starter and manages to play 40+ games, i still hope the devils make the playoffs. i am surrendering a second instead of a 3rd, if it means po hockey next season.

Watch your mouth son, don't ever confuse me with a Flames fan.
to my knowledge the flames and oilers fan bases are osmosic. :naughty:

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

RichLittle

Oct 16, 2022
Was Markström 50% retained also available for a 3rd rounder? Also didn't we agree to a trade but your owners shut it down.

I think a way bigger let down is hoping for a significant return for your aging up and down goalie playing his career year, only to miss the trade entirely, miss the playoffs, miss a top pick cause he's playing too good and tank his value while waiting. Getting a <2m backup for the next year for a third rounder is whatever.

No, owners nixing is a dumb rumour, gets clicks. Fitz himself said that he felt the asks were unfairly high, extortion. He didn't want to pay up for Soros or Markstrom. That much is clear, he said it yesterday.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I thought people just wanted Allen gone to lose more games ? Idk

Habs are in a rebuild, so yes i guess getting better picks is key. However, I am a staunch proponent of a positive culture in any environment - I love hockey but i hate it when my team doesn't compete every night. I knew they weren't going to make the playoffs, but they kind of played like they believed they could all season.

I find if you let your team think that "its ok, season's over, who cares?" then they will find it easier and easier to revert to this state over time. You don't build winners by giving them loser reflexes to fall back on when things get hard.

Reactions: viceroy

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I wonder how the conditions work out if Allen is traded during the season. Say.... what happens if Allen plays 35 games for NJ, and is traded at the deadline to another team, plays 6 games for them, and NJ makes the playoffs but the 2nd team doesn't. (or, the opposite).
I would imagine that would be "ducking" the conditions of the trade and the higher pick would have to be forfeited.

I'm sure there is something to protect against this

Interesting question - From what I heard or read of the conditions, I thought it specified that it is incumbent of Allen to play 40 games for NJD specifically so i assume it wouldn't transfer over to another team in the event of a trade.

However, if it is open-ended, it would probably be as Frank Drebin says; the NHL would see it as ducking the conditions.

I wonder if a NJD divisional rival could use this to their advantage? Get Allen and play him to make them forfeit a 2nd.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Interesting question - From what I heard or read of the conditions, I thought it specified that it is incumbent of Allen to play 40 games for NJD specifically so i assume it wouldn't transfer over to another team in the event of a trade.

However, if it is open-ended, it would probably be as Frank Drebin says; the NHL would see it as ducking the conditions.

I wonder if a NJD divisional rival could use this to their advantage? Get Allen and play him to make them forfeit a 2nd.
I think the idea of ducking the conditions is a moot point as another poster mentioned. The Devils acquired Allen with the intention of playing him. If he is playing well and will hit 40 games, that is a good thing for the Devils. They wouldn't trade him at 35 games just to save a draft pick.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think the idea of ducking the conditions is a moot point as another poster mentioned. The Devils acquired Allen with the intention of playing him. If he is playing well and will hit 40 games, that is a good thing for the Devils. They wouldn't trade him at 35 games just to save a draft pick.
I just find it curious how in other cases (like the 1st Monahan deal) conditions are extremely explicit, and in this case, they just seem vague and open-ended. I mean, Allen getting traded at some point over the next 15 months wouldn't be any kind of a great unforeseeable surprise...

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Allen.. I think he is better than what he showed this year in montreal. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt based on the 3-goalie thing they had going all season. I get the feeling trying to maintain game shape without playing games can be quite the issue for some goealies.

Allen was a career 1B goalie; i always thought him and Halak in their primes splitting games evenly would be awesome. Definitely seems like a model more teams are adopting now

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Glad to hear that Allen is a really good guy overall and should be a great guy to have in the locker room. Think the Devils could also certainly use that as something seems off with this team.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

Agreed that it seems minor, but some DGs take every edge they can, no matter how minute.

I dont understand the math but i remember MB sent people down to Laval for admin reasons to save money. The player never left the team, the admin work just helped him save money on the cap.

So for me, next year, if NJD's other goalie gets injured 3/4 of the season in, NJD is clinched something like 5 games before the end of the season and there is no chance of more movement, then yeah i may play the 3rd goalie 4 times if it means Allen doesn't cross that threshold (not to mention it warms up the backup)

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Solid contract (at half), solid human being, he was great for us, much respect to Allen, he was a marvelous 2nd goalie for a time

But if NJD think that he's the answer to their goalie problem, they are in for a rude awakening

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Solid contract (at half), solid human being, he was great for us, much respect to Allen, he was a marvelous 2nd goalie for a time

But if NJD think that he's the answer to their goalie problem, they are in for a rude awakening
I expect they'll land Markstrom and Allen will be the backup.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
There are two Jake Allens:

1. Hand-grenade in the crease, where did the puck even go, I can't see it Jake Allen.

This Jake Allen sucks. Expect him to show up to half of your games.

2. 40 impossible saves, and one terrible goal let in Jake Allen.

This Jake Allen is good. He will leave you scratching your head, but he also shows up to about half of the games.

Devils need consistency. This is not what you will be getting with Jake Allen.
I dont know what he looked like as a canadian, but for the blues, allen also tended to let up a lot of bad short side angle shots that should have been covered. Likely because he was trying to cheat to be ready for a cross or the puck to go far side. He also on his hot streaks plays somewhat positional hockey but on his bad days starts fighting the puck everywhere and flopping around on ice looking bad even before he lets in the goals.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So MTL is paying almost $1.7 mil and tying up a retention slot next season for a third round pick? NJ got a fourth round pick for a few hundred thousand. I'm sure MTL fans are glad to be rid of Allen but this is bad value for the return.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $681.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00