Proposal: NJ <> CAR -> Severson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Well, you also have to consider that if you hold on to Severson and then trade him next deadline you wouldn’t get nearly as good of a return. Sooo it’s kind of one or the other to some degree.
Risto and Savard got a 1st last yr
If we keep him and decide to move next tdl
I'm ok with a Risto like return

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Risto and Savard got a 1st last yr
If we keep him and decide to move next tdl
I'm ok with a Risto like return

That's fair. Just saying that barring Severson really kicking it up a notch or two next year you're gonna get less for a rental than for someone with an extra year of control.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
That's fair. Just saying that barring Severson really kicking it up a notch or two next year you're gonna get less for a rental than for someone with an extra year of control.
I think Severson with 50% retained can earn a late 1st and a middling prospect at the 2023 deadline, if NJ wasnt in a playoff race

Hed be a very very good acquisition at the price of $2.08m

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think Severson with 50% retained can earn a late 1st and a middling prospect at the 2023 deadline, if NJ wasnt in a playoff race

Hed be a very very good acquisition at the price of $2.08m

Yes, for sure.

It's just basically a 'more now' or 'less later' situation. If NJ is fine with that then no problem, that is their call. Can really only base a proposal from the Canes on the situation right now though. It seems like it's fairly close in terms of value and mutual interest and really that's about as good as you can get on this board. I'm not here to convince every NJ, CAR, or neutral fan that the deal should go through.

I think your points on keeping him until next season/deadline are fair just pointing out that the return is likely less than it would be right now with the extra year of control.

Reactions: Rydev

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Yes, for sure.

It's just basically a 'more now' or 'less later' situation. If NJ is fine with that then no problem, that is their call. Can really only base a proposal from the Canes on the situation right now though. It seems like it's fairly close in terms of value and mutual interest and really that's about as good as you can get on this board. I'm not here to convince every NJ, CAR, or neutral fan that the deal should go through.

I think your points on keeping him until next season/deadline are fair just pointing out that the return is likely less than it would be right now with the extra year of control.
I think Fitzgerald is (or at least should be imo) more focused on the progress the team as a whole makes, now that our young stars are budding through and the defense is starting to make its way up the AHL ranks

In that sense I suppose Damon's value is more to us as a playoff competitor next year than Ethan Bear is possibly filling a 2nd pair role on a team struggling in net

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
To NJ:
- Ethan Bear (24 y/o, RFA)
- 2023 1st
- Ryan Suzuki

To CAR:
- Damon Severson (27 y/o, 1 x $4.1... maybe with some retention?)

Close? Not close?

Personally, I think I would ask for something better than Suzuki.
  • Ethan Bear = solid choice, but we would be taking a hit offensively. While we have Dougie, removing Severson would leave us with few secondary offensive options on the backend bc we don't really know what we have in Smith yet.
  • 2023 1st = solid as well, but it'll (most likely) be a late pick. Statistically, the value after pick 15 significantly drops due to the majority of prospects available in that window don't become high-end players.
  • Suzuki = fine, but overall redundant and not needed due to our already young center depth in Jack, Nico, Mercer, and McLeod.
If I were GM, I would be okay with Bear and the 1st, but would want something better than Suzuki. Someone like Morrow for example, but if that's too much for CAR I understand.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think Morrow would be a non-starter for Canes fans.

Secondly, I don't see 1.3 years of Severson being worth a 1st, a legit NHL player + a top prospect. Hopefully the Canes front office see it the same as I do since we don't get a vote.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I think Morrow would be a non-starter for Canes fans.

Secondly, I don't see 1.3 years of Severson being worth a 1st, a legit NHL player + a top prospect. Hopefully the Canes front office see it the same as I do since we don't get a vote.
I agree Severson isn’t worth 3 trade assets. But I also don’t see Devils dealing Severson to Carolina and not getting Morrow as part of the deal, given he would be the logical long term replacement.

I just don’t rate Ethan Bear to be a top 4 defenseman that Severson is, so to me he isn’t a primary piece for any Severson deal. It’s the 1st rounder and/or Morrow that NJ would want.

I’ll be OK with a Bear + Morrow for Severson (50% retained), if you need to include Bear for cap reasons.

Reactions: HBK27

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Severson is getting PP1 minutes over Hamilton. I haven’t been paying too much attention but it could be because Hamilton just came back from injury. But they could also be showcasing Severson him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree Severson isn’t worth 3 trade assets. But I also don’t see Devils dealing Severson to Carolina and not getting Morrow as part of the deal, given he would be the logical long term replacement.

I just don’t rate Ethan Bear to be a top 4 defenseman that Severson is, so to me he isn’t a primary piece for any Severson deal. It’s the 1st rounder and/or Morrow that NJ would want.

I’ll be OK with a Bear + Morrow for Severson (50% retained), if you need to include Bear for cap reasons.
We’ll just disagree, which is fine. Canes need Morrow as their own long term replacement. I realize it’s potential and not certain, but wouldn’t do it.

I don’t like Severson enough in the first place.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Severson is getting PP1 minutes over Hamilton. I haven’t been paying too much attention but it could be because Hamilton just came back from injury. But they could also be showcasing Severson him.
The Devils PP has been efficient lately, and Severson has been a big part of it. He has gotten a lot of PP points over that span. I don't think it's showcasing, I just think coaches like what they are seeing from him and other PP1 guys.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Hard no on Morrow. I’d do a different prospect in Suzuki’s tier from Carolina but it’s not gonna be the top shelf stuff.

The Suzuki thing is just a really interesting situation because of the eye. It's hard to differentiate between whether his lack of overall production in the A is because he was up too early due to the pandemic, or because his play has permanently been lowered by the eye injury. If the devils tried to go for Koivunen in this type of trade though, I'd completely understand.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't see it making sense for the Canes. Cheaper options will become available. No need to overpay for a middling D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad