Proposal: NJ <> CAR -> Severson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Devils can't afford to be moving a proven top-4 defender on the right side for anything futures-related

A 2023 player showing up in 2026 doesnt do anything for us during Hughes and Hischier's primes

Severson will only be moved in a Boeser/Garland type deal, where a credible and proven player of similar caliber is coming back

Reactions: Puckclektr

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
I actually don't hate this but I'm also very bullish on Severson in our system. Getting an extension worked out would be key though, expensive if it ended up being a rental+1, but very doable if it ended up being reasonable long term.
Considering the rumors of what Carolina offered Hamilton, a much better RHD, I can be pretty sure Carolina won't be offering what Damon wants

Reactions: DaveG

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Good one OP, and Carolina is, for sure, a team that would appreciate Severson's impact.

It's fair, I guess, but our lack of RHD depth is what makes this tricky.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Devils can't afford to be moving a proven top-4 defender on the right side for anything futures-related

A 2023 player showing up in 2026 doesnt do anything for us during Hughes and Hischier's primes

Severson will only be moved in a Boeser/Garland type deal, where a credible and proven player of similar caliber is coming back

I don't think that's true at all. If your intention is not to sign him, you take the best deal you can get for him.

We have 3 defenders who are going to need new deals and probably a good size raise. Decisions have to be made.

Reactions: hidek91

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

None of this is true at all.

Reactions: hidek91

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

I think the problem with a Boeser/Garland type return is the fact that Severson only has one more year on his deal. If it’s an off-season move with an extension in place then I can see it potentially but just a little over 1 year of Severson isn’t going to get an asset like that. If he had more term then sure I could see it.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think this is a pretty fair proposal. For a 2nd pair guy with 1 year remaining, the equivalent of two low first-round picks + roster defenseman seems about right. I think Severson is a guy that would fit in pretty well with Carolina and could maybe replace some of the offensive minutes if they can't re-sign Tony D.

If the Devils just want to accumulate assets, seems like a good deal. But I do think the organization wants the on-ice product to improve next season (they certainly did this season), so they may be hesitant about subtracting a guy who plays important minutes for them. They really do need to be in the playoff conversation next season.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Considering the rumors of what Carolina offered Hamilton, a much better RHD, I can be pretty sure Carolina won't be offering what Damon wants
I don’t agree, it depends on what Severson wants. Carolina has a budgeted number they want to spend on the core at each position and they stick to it so Hamilton on a non-team friendly deal was just too expensive.

Severson might take their offer if it’s reasonable to him, they’re a contender so maybe that makes them attractive to him. I don’t know if they have the budget for him and keeping DeAngelo (if that’s their plan). (I don’t care enough to try to figure it out what they would or could offer him.)

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
None of this is true at all.
How so?

The team cant afford to get worse by accepting a package of entirely futures for Damon. If you think Luke Hughes is ready for his spot then maybe?

The Devils would be a notably worse team without Severson in the lineup and the best asset coming back is a 1st round pick

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
I don't think that's true at all. If your intention is not to sign him, you take the best deal you can get for him.

We have 3 defenders who are going to need new deals and probably a good size raise. Decisions have to be made.
But I dont think the teams intentions are not to sign him; can we really afford that on the right side? We cant be regressing in Jack's fourth year

I think its more likely we sign him or trade him for a tenured player up front, and then supplant him through free agency. Sure you can do the same thing accepting futures for Damon, but that again makes us a worse team today.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
But I dont think the teams intentions are not to sign him; can we really afford that on the right side? We cant be regressing in Jack's fourth year

If we trade him, that will answer the question. I don't think it's highly likely we sign him long term. Already paying 9 for Dougie and severson is hitting FA at 29. I'd be very surprised if we aren't putting out feelers. Ultimately may not deal him, he still has value next year, but I'm sure there are discussions on what we are doing with him

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
If we trade him, that will answer the question. I don't think it's highly likely we sign him long term. Already paying 9 for Dougie and severson it's hitting FA at 29. I'd be very surprised if we aren't putting out feelers
I also would prefer to move him

I had edited my post a little late, but I need a proven asset comparable to Damon back, even if we have to add. A Boeser/Garland level player, just as example, is something that helps stabilize the team from losing Damon

They dont play D but they can help alleviate pressure offensively

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
NJ doesn't need another center prospect. They need a RHD, so Scott Morrow would make more sense than Ryan Suzuki.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Devils pass. Unless there is no chance at res-signing Severson long term.
You’re never going to win replacing players with “maybes” ever year.
Devils don’t need another player like Suzuki and another 27th overall prospect.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Big pass from this Canes fan. Take out the first or Suzuki.. With so many Devils fans agreeing you know something is probably off..

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Severson, Graves, Siegenthaler and Smith all need new contracts in summer 2023. My guess at least one (more likely two) of them will get traded. Currently I would keep Siegenthaler and Severson. But I assume all of them are fair game for an offer.

Reactions: Mgd31

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes fan who says no to this. I’m not even that high on Suzuki, just not that impressed with Severson when I watch him. I’m skeptical of any thoughts of re-signing him after a trade also.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
How so?

The team cant afford to get worse by accepting a package of entirely futures for Damon. If you think Luke Hughes is ready for his spot then maybe?

The Devils would be a notably worse team without Severson in the lineup and the best asset coming back is a 1st round pick

It seems unlikely they’re going to sign him for what he’ll probably command on the UFA market. A futures based package is probably going to be the best value the Devils can get, and it would be poor asset management to turn down better value just because it’s “futures.”

A team trading for one guaranteed season of Severson is likely a contender loading up for a cup run…those teams usually aren’t dealing good roster pieces or swapping an equivalent RHD just to make a lateral move. Sure, it could be a non-playoff team looking to shore up their RD position and hoping to re-sign him, but again, those teams aren’t likely to deal a valuable roster piece either. Real “hockey trades” are rare in todays NHL, so I wouldn’t be holding out hope that’s the kind of deal Severson would be dealt for.

Besides, if a player coming into the lineup in 2026 has already missed Hughes (will be 24) and Hischier’s (will be 27) primes….well then the Devils have a lot more to worry about than their RHD depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad