Proposal: NJ <> CAR -> Severson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
49 point pace with excellent defensive metrics signed for an additional year. Severson is going to cost a lot if a team wants him.

Not that I don’t believe you but can you post something that shows his defensive prowess. This is kind of the million dollar question on him. Half of everyone says he’s a turnstile and the other half say he’s a top shutdown D. Maybe it’s somewhere in between but would love some more clarity on that if possible

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not that I don’t believe you but can you post something that shows his defensive prowess. This is kind of the million dollar question on him. Half of everyone says he’s a turnstile and the other half say he’s a top shutdown D. Maybe it’s somewhere in between but would love some more clarity on that if possible

Without copying someone's metric cards the best metric I could find is that he is 20th out of defensmen in SA/60 REL and 16th in xGA/60 REL. The eye test typically picks up some bonehead plays but even last night there was 4 or 5 elite breakups that we take for granted with him.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Devils can't afford to be moving a proven top-4 defender on the right side for anything futures-related

A 2023 player showing up in 2026 doesnt do anything for us during Hughes and Hischier's primes

Severson will only be moved in a Boeser/Garland type deal, where a credible and proven player of similar caliber is coming back
honestly bear has a better chance to replace severson than boeser or garland.

hughes most likely will enter his prime in 2026. he will be 25 by then and hischier only 27. the lack of patience in the devils fan base is annoying. if you want to contend next season or the year after for the cup, you better be ready to trade some of hischier, hughes, mercer and more than half the farm. stanley cup champs normally don't have a roster full of toddlers, who are close to puberty.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I don't get the love for Severson. Discard (or dilute?) the relevant of +/- on a team like NJD, okay. But he has twice as many giveaways as takeaway. A poster on another site put it well: "Whereas I always thought his problem was mostly the little mistakes, the constant neutral zone pass giveaways, for example. On the stat sheet those are recorded as positive zone control and zone exits. He gets the puck, he gets the puck out of the zone. Analytics rightly love that. He just happens to then hand it right over to the opposition who then re-enters the zone. It doesn't appear at least he's a major contributor on the power play - maybe he QBs it but just doesn't produce? Devils are 31st in PP. I'd say Canes don't need to give assets for a player that won't move the needle much.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't get the love for Severson. Discard (or dilute?) the relevant of +/- on a team like NJD, okay. But he has twice as many giveaways as takeaway. A poster on another site put it well: "Whereas I always thought his problem was mostly the little mistakes, the constant neutral zone pass giveaways, for example. On the stat sheet those are recorded as positive zone control and zone exits. He gets the puck, he gets the puck out of the zone. Analytics rightly love that. He just happens to then hand it right over to the opposition who then re-enters the zone. It doesn't appear at least he's a major contributor on the power play - maybe he QBs it but just doesn't produce? Devils are 31st in PP. I'd say Canes don't need to give assets for a player that won't move the needle much.
Might want to double check your math - Severson is 8th among NHL defenseman in PP goals, 22nd among defenseman in PP points, 17th in PP points/60.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
As a neutral fan, I'm not really sure where Severson fits. The right side look to be Pesce, and DeAngelo, with 2 more defenders out on IR/injured. Unless bear has been absolutely horrendous for 3rd minutes, it seems like an over payment to grab a guy who's minutes are going to be reduced. Even with DeAngelo just taking a 3rd role and Severson in the top 4, the powerplay minutes are surely going to DeAngelo first.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Might want to double check your math - Severson is 8th among NHL defenseman in PP goals, 22nd among defenseman in PP points, 17th in PP points/60.
"He sucks on the PP, he sucks 5on5, he is terrible defensively and doesn't drive play. How about a 2nd for him?" Typical negotiation tactics on here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't care, Carolina won't get him then. There will be a long list of teams interested in him.
I don't think Carolina cares either. If other teams need him a lot more, sure, they will pay more. Nobody said Severson has no value. I just don't see it being a fit here for Carolina, based on the asking price.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Without copying someone's metric cards the best metric I could find is that he is 20th out of defensmen in SA/60 REL and 16th in xGA/60 REL. The eye test typically picks up some bonehead plays but even last night there was 4 or 5 elite breakups that we take for granted with him.

Helpful snapshot. Thank you as I just haven't seen a ton of Devils games enough to fairly evaluate on my own.

I wonder if it's an issue of Severson trying to do too much because the Devils don't necessarily have the supporting cast to pick up the slack. He's clearly got a good set of skills but maybe similar to Skjei with the Rangers, is just not being utilized correctly or have a solid defensive structure around him to operate in a way that maximizes their potential.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’d do that. I know some Devil fans don’t want to move him but I’ve shifted to the other side and think it’s the right move. Also Bear’s a good RD so it wouldn’t leave as big of a whole

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
While I don't want to trade Severson, I would take this package - I think Bear is a very underrated player and that pick allows NJ to trade a 1st for a top winger/goalie while still maintaining their own top ~10 pick.

I'm pretty meh on Suzuki, NJ has plenty of forward prospects playing in the AHL so another one doesn't really move the needle. He is a center though, which we need, as I expect Mercer's shift to wing will be permanent.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Morrow is a no from the Canes. Keane would be an option though. If we’re giving a 1st and Bear then the prospect isn’t going to be stud level.
Same without Morrow in deal NJ has no interest...But don't see it it from Canes view you'd get two shots at cup with Severson....Your window will close time to take your shots

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Devils needs a new coaching staff before they deciding trade a guy like Severson. I'm sure he'd be pretty good in Canes' system, though.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Same without Morrow in deal NJ has no interest...But don't see it it from Canes view you'd get two shots at cup with Severson....Your window will close time to take your shots

I'd take this deal. If people are looking only at obtaining a high level rhd prospect in the deal, they are needlessly limiting the trade market. Bear is 2 or 3 years from ufa and can play some

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisch13r

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Severson is tied for the 2nd worst penalty differential among defensemen in the NHL (Link). Cole is running away with the top spot.

Icing both at the same time is a scary proposition for a team that has gotten torched on the PK by Boston and Tampa in the playoffs over the past 3 years (62% over 14 games).

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

If Morrow is in the deal (which we won’t ever be) then the other assets going with him would change dramatically. I like Severson but the offer I made in the opening post is pretty max value. You can swap out Suzuki for another prospect of that caliber but Morrow is off limits.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I'd take this deal. If people are looking only at obtaining a high level rhd prospect in the deal, they are needlessly limiting the trade market. Bear is 2 or 3 years from ufa and can play some
He's not close to Severson imo

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If Morrow is in the deal (which we won’t ever be) then the other assets going with him would change dramatically. I like Severson but the offer I made in the opening post is pretty max value. You can swap out Suzuki for another prospect of that caliber but Morrow is off limits.
2 shots at a cup on a bargain contract and your offer is nothing special what a 25 or worse 1st for a top four rhd not happening no team makes that trade

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

He is a top four rhd on a young growing team that happens to play bad as we go through growing pains....Not perfect or he'd be a top pair....But he has a lot of skill and on your team who knows could easily go next to Slavin and become a top pair....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad