Proposal: Nils Hoglander for Brayden Schneider. Van/NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
thanks for your reply. Wonder if the Ranger brass think this Scheider kid tops out as a RH'd Lindgren?
He's got the size to separate players easier than Lindgren. But I don't think NYR organization would complain if he tops out as a Ryan Lindgren (Meaning not elite but a top 4 who could play top pair), and hits harder with better gap control and board play.

If you want to go by what was said during the draft rankings. Whether that holds true or not at the NHL level, I guess we'll have to wait on on that.

"
“DISPLAYS A STRONG PRESENCE ON THE ICE. MAKES BIG HITS IN ALL THREE ZONES. STRONG ON HIS SKATES AND HARD TO KNOCK OFF THE PUCK. USED IN ALL SITUATIONS. LIKES TO JOIN THE RUSH USING DECEPTIVE SPEED. A COMPLETE PACKAGE ON THE BLUELINE WHO CAN CONTROL A GAME.” - NHL Central Scouting

“In his own zone, Schneider’s one of the better defensive defensemen in this draft. He uses his length and strength well off the rush, too, but his biggest asset is his ability to take away time and space in the defensive zone, close out the wall, win puck battles and advance the play back up ice with a quick outlet.” - Scott Wheeler, The Athletic

“Schneider is not just a player who excels without the puck though. He has a solid core skill-set when it comes to moving the puck the other way. He is a crisp passer who outlets well, and can also skate out of the zone if needed. Additionally, he can jump into the rush, and is a good judge of when to pinch on a play. He has a big slap-shot as well when he gets into position to unleash it.” - Smart Scouting""

He was ranked all over the place.
#9 — NHL Central Scouting - NA Skaters (Final)
#14 — HockeyProspect.com (January)
#13 — ISS Hockey (March)
#27 — Future Considerations (March)
#41 — The Draft Analyst (March)
#14 — TSN-MacKenzie (Midseason)
#25 — TSN-Button (March)
#46 — EliteProspects.com (February)

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
He's got the size to separate players easier than Lindgren. But I don't think NYR organization would complain if he tops out as a Ryan Lindgren (Meaning not elite but a top 4 who could play top pair), and hits harder with better gap control and board play.

If you want to go by what was said during the draft rankings. Whether that holds true or not at the NHL level, I guess we'll have to wait on on that.

"
“DISPLAYS A STRONG PRESENCE ON THE ICE. MAKES BIG HITS IN ALL THREE ZONES. STRONG ON HIS SKATES AND HARD TO KNOCK OFF THE PUCK. USED IN ALL SITUATIONS. LIKES TO JOIN THE RUSH USING DECEPTIVE SPEED. A COMPLETE PACKAGE ON THE BLUELINE WHO CAN CONTROL A GAME.” - NHL Central Scouting

“In his own zone, Schneider’s one of the better defensive defensemen in this draft. He uses his length and strength well off the rush, too, but his biggest asset is his ability to take away time and space in the defensive zone, close out the wall, win puck battles and advance the play back up ice with a quick outlet.” - Scott Wheeler, The Athletic

“Schneider is not just a player who excels without the puck though. He has a solid core skill-set when it comes to moving the puck the other way. He is a crisp passer who outlets well, and can also skate out of the zone if needed. Additionally, he can jump into the rush, and is a good judge of when to pinch on a play. He has a big slap-shot as well when he gets into position to unleash it.” - Smart Scouting""

He was ranked all over the place.
#9 — NHL Central Scouting - NA Skaters (Final)
#14 — HockeyProspect.com (January)
#13 — ISS Hockey (March)
#27 — Future Considerations (March)
#41 — The Draft Analyst (March)
#14 — TSN-MacKenzie (Midseason)
#25 — TSN-Button (March)
#46 — EliteProspects.com (February)

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a beaut! For the kids sake hopefully he gets the proper time and expectations to develop. Decent start to his pro career I guess.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think if Vancouver does a player for player swap for that RHD it won't be Hoglander being moved. Can easily see Boeser being traded, though.

It really just comes down to the contract status. Schneider is an excellent prospect but you don't trade your 20 yr old proven NHL capable guy for a player with no NHL games - and yes I realize there are examples of players with no NHL games that have enormous value but Schneider ain't one of them.

Vancouver would be trading for an organizational weakness and overpaying. Not sure the Rangers need a winger but they would also decline unless it's an organizational need as well - Schneider has huge potential and really no reason to gamble this prospect out of their system.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a beaut! For the kids sake hopefully he gets the proper time and expectations to develop. Decent start to his pro career I guess.
Hopefully he’s our Chris Pronger. Not saying he’ll be as good as pronger in every aspect, but that’s the style of game he plays.
Big kid who loves to hit, hard nosed style, keeps the crease clear, very mobile, and very good in transition. He’s going to be a heavy top 4 minute eater behind fox for a long time.
Hopefully he becomes a staple on the PK as well.
The biggest question right now with Schneider is what his overall offensive ceiling could be in the NHL. Some think he might top out as a 30pt guy who plays solid, physical D. I’d take that all day long, but Schneider can also possibly take his offensive game to the next level as well.
He likely won’t see any meaningful 1PP minutes with the rangers while we have Fox, and possibly Jones/Lundkvist long term as well.
If I’m Drury, Schneider is in my basket of cornerstone guys that are very hard to acquire that won’t be dealt unless it’s for a tremendous overpay.
I put him right there with Laf/Kakko/Fox/Shesty/Panarin/Zibanejad/and Schneider. And I don’t think Lindgren is too far off either imo.

all of these guys are just too important to the rangers long term and won’t likely be moved for various reasons such as Talent, contract status, importance to team, cost controlled high end talent/ceilings, etc

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Hopefully he’s our Chris Pronger. Not saying he’ll be as good as pronger in every aspect, but that’s the style of game he plays.
Big kid who loves to hit, hard nosed style, keeps the crease clear, very mobile, and very good in transition. He’s going to be a heavy top 4 minute eater behind fox for a long time.
Hopefully he becomes a staple on the PK as well.
The biggest question right now with Schneider is what his overall offensive ceiling could be in the NHL. Some think he might top out as a 30pt guy who plays solid, physical D. I’d take that all day long, but Schneider can also possibly take his offensive game to the next level as well.
He likely won’t see any meaningful 1PP minutes with the rangers while we have Fox, and possibly Jones/Lundkvist long term as well.
If I’m Drury, Schneider is in my basket of cornerstone guys that are very hard to acquire that won’t be dealt unless it’s for a tremendous overpay.
I put him right there with Laf/Kakko/Fox/Shesty/Panarin/Zibanejad/and Schneider. And I don’t think Lindgren is too far off either imo.

all of these guys are just too important to the rangers long term and won’t likely be moved for various reasons such as Talent, contract status, importance to team, cost controlled high end talent/ceilings, etc
Hahahahahaha

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Hahahahahaha
I’m not sure what’s funny. That’s the exact style of play Schneider plays.
Both big men, both Defense 1st and mobile, both have a good shot and add offense.
Not proclaiming Schneider is going to be a better 1st pair D then pronger, not have a better career, but that’s the role he’s going to be expected to play eating heavy minutes 5v5 and on the PK on the right side behind fox.

Schneider was highly touted in the 1st Rd and has only improved his stock/value since being drafted. He won WHL D of the year, had a cup of coffee in Hartford where he didn’t stick out at all.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’m not sure what’s funny. That’s the exact style of play Schneider plays.
Both big men, both Defense 1st and mobile, both have a good shot and add offense.
Not proclaiming Schneider is going to be a better 1st pair D then pronger, not have a better career, but that’s the role he’s going to be expected to play eating heavy minutes 5v5 and on the PK on the right side behind fox
You’re heavily heavily overrating Schneider. There’s a reason he wasn’t picked high

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You’re heavily heavily overrating Schneider. There’s a reason he wasn’t picked high
Please enlighten me?? He’s a 1st rd pick that’s only improved his overall value since the draft.
He would likely have no trouble playing 3rd pair in the NHL right now...
Hilarious I’m highly overrating Schneider, yet Hoglander is made out to be a super stud.
The biggest Question with Schneider from the draft was his offense, and how it would develop up to The A, and ultimately the NHL.
He’s huge, he likes to absolutely murder people with open ice hits, Mobile, and good with the puck on his stick.
His size/skill package and top 4 D ceiling were the reason NYR traded up in the 1st to get him.
We’ve very lucky the leafs screwed up and took the Russian. And the dumb as habs too Guhle instead of the big mean Canadian kid.
But keep cackling like a little school girl and pretend to know what your talking about.
Good, well keep Schneider and you can keep paying for guys like Tyler Myers.
Or keep pretending Hughes is better then Fox

Last edited:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
you do realize Hoglander was picked #40 OA. Draft position has no bearing on how you evaluate a player and their value. By your logic, Schneider's 19 OA status makes him way more valuable. And in what world is 19 OA not high? You can have your opinion on Schneider but please say stuff that at least makes sense.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
you do realize Hoglander was picked #40 OA. Draft position has no bearing on how you evaluate a player and their value. By your logic, Schneider's 19 OA status makes him way more valuable. And in what world is 19 OA not high? You can have your opinion on Schneider but please say stuff that at least makes sense.
No he has no clue.
Now way in hell in a redraft does Amirov or Guhle go ahead of him.
I’d wager Schneider is closer in terms on impact/talent to the other 2 D picked ahead of him in Drysdale and Sanderson.
I wish the rangers traded Lundkvist at the draft for a cost controlled C, Schneider would be in the NHL already.
Whatever, no biggie, they break him in to start next season after heavy 1st pair minutes with Jones in the A.
Nothing of value to add to the convo or even rebuff me in any way, just the stupid concept he’s not high end cause he was picked 19OA.

Not realizing his same failed logic would apply to Hoglander. ( who also would go higher in a redraft imo). He’s clown shoes.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not sure why this thread is still going. Canucks obviously wouldn't do this, and Rangers fans say they wouldn't either.

Now if the Rangers are looking for a bottom 6 forward (Pearson, Motte, Dickinson), bottom pairing D (Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn, Burroughs), backup goalie (Halak), or warm bodies (Hunt, Chiasson, Bailey, etc.) around the trade deadline, we may be able to help you, though.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Please enlighten me?? He’s a 1st rd pick that’s only improved his overall value since the draft.
He would likely have no trouble playing 3rd pair in the NHL right now...
Hilarious I’m highly overrating Schneider, yet Hoglander is made out to be a super stud.
The biggest Question with Schneider from the draft was his offense, and how it would develop up to The A, and ultimately the NHL.
He’s huge, he likes to absolutely murder people with open ice hits, Mobile, and good with the puck on his stick.
His size/skill package and top 4 D ceiling were the reason NYR traded up in the 1st to get him.
We’ve very lucky the leafs screwed up and took the Russian. And the dumb as habs too Guhle instead of the big mean Canadian kid.
But keep cackling like a little school girl and pretend to know what your talking about.
Good, well keep Schneider and you can keep paying for guys like Tyler Myers.
What are you even talking about? Draft position is irrelevant ONCE you prove that you can/cannot play in the NHL. Hoglander was picked a year before Schneider and has proven he’s already a top 9 forward and going to be a top line forward for years to come. Schneider hasn’t proven a thing in the NHL yet you’re comparing him to Chris Pronger as a comparable. :laugh:

You have zero clue if he’d struggle as a 3rd pairing RHD right now so don’t make statements like that.

Guhle is the captain of team Canada..where is Schneider??? Like I said, severely overrating him. Hoglander is much more valuable in the moment of time.

If Schneider is the next Chris Pronger than he would have went higher than 19th OA hey?

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
What are you even talking about? Draft position is irrelevant ONCE you prove that you can/cannot play in the NHL. Hoglander was picked a year before Schneider and has proven he’s already a top 9 forward and going to be a top line forward for years to come. Schneider hasn’t proven a thing in the NHL yet you’re comparing him to Chris Pronger as a comparable. :laugh:

You have zero clue if he’d struggle as a 3rd pairing RHD right now so don’t make statements like that.

Guhle is the captain of team Canada..where is Schneider??? Like I said, severely overrating him. Hoglander is much more valuable in the moment of time.

If Schneider is the next Chris Pronger than he would have went higher than 19th OA hey?
It’s not that Schneider can’t currently play in the NHL. I’m sure he can break in on 3rd pair tomorrow if needed. The rangers just happen to have an embarrassment of riches at RD currently, so there’s no need to rush him.
I’ll say it again since you obviously don’t know how to read.
Schneider had a very good camp. With Kravtsov leaving and Nils coming over, it wasn’t a big surprise to see Schneider in the AHL this season.
I also never once said he’s as good, or will be as good as Pronger.
I said, that’s the style of play Schneider plays for the Schneider/Pronger comparison.
Saying Schneider will be a clone of Pronger at this stage is almost as silly as thinking Hoglander will return Schneider in a trade.
I’m happy for Hogs that he made Vancouver and I’d playing well. The fact of life is, finding a Defenseman with the skill set Schneider has, is a lot harder to find in the draft then a smaller Middle 6 40-50 pt fwd.
If you can’t understand or comprehend either point I just re wrote again, I can’t help you.
Your argument that Hoglander has more value then Schneider solely because his playing in the NHL currently, is also clown shoes.
Quick, Trade Hoglander for Sanderson or Power before they make their debut and offset the value.
hogs got his opportunity because there was a spot available on a worse team without too much competition from other prospects.
Schneider was the youngest kid battling for 1 3rd pair spot on RD behind fox ( Norris winner) and Trouba ( savage for the last year and change)
Lundkvist who set records against men in the SHL and Jones who was excellent and plays both sides.
DEPTH is the only reason Schneider is getting a full year in the A. No need to rush him.
Again, he’s impressed at every level so far, they won’t likely stash him in the A for another season.
Did you see the contracts that Big Mobile Defenseman that hit like a truck and contribute offensively, signed this offseason???
I have Zero concerns about Schneider being a solid Top 4 D in the NHL for a very long time. Most who have actually watched him fans/scouts/ whoever agree.
He’ll break in on 3rd pair to start the year. Then depending on how things go and if Trouba waives him NMC a bit early, Schneider will step in.

the dumbest part of your post is now you write how Draft position makes no difference at all, but in your previous post you were saying Schneider has less value because he was drafted 19OA behind other D.
Then in this post you go on to say that draft position is irrelevant, it’s all about NHL play. Hogs has some games as a top 9 fwd already so his value is superior........
Pick an argument and stick to it......
You think whoever get the 1st pick will trade Wright for Hoglander? Cause wrights not in the NHL yet, hogs is far more valuable....
Maybe Owen Power?? Sanderson.... I can’t go on and on. You see how dumb that is?

where your taken in the Draft is basically what all teams scouts/GMs/FO people thing of your skills/size/smarts/mobility/speed/physicality etc etc and the possible future impact you’ll make with the team if they take you with their pick. What’s your ceiling/floor as an NHL player??
That’s all. And teams still get it wrong a lot.
There are always players taken later that impress or are late bloomers or for whatever reasons were just passed over.
Hogs likely also goes higher in a redraft imo. But him playing some NHL games before Schneider makes his full time Debut doesn’t mean he has more value around the league or will be the better player.
There’s a chance. And maybe a chance Schneider flops? As a betting man, I wouldn’t put money on either of those outcomes.
I’d wager SchneiderVsHoglander s value to most NHL teams is consistent.
They know who they rather have right now imo. What each players ceiling is if each hits it. What overall skill/size package and position is harder to find, again, I can go on and on........
I’m going to stop because this might be too much for you to read. I don’t want you to get overwhelmed...
and I don’t want to sound like I’m running down Hoglander either. I Think he’ll be a solid middle 6 fwd for a long time in the NHL.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Not sure why this thread is still going. Canucks obviously wouldn't do this, and Rangers fans say they wouldn't either.

Now if the Rangers are looking for a bottom 6 forward (Pearson, Motte, Dickinson), bottom pairing D (Hamonic, Poolman, Schenn, Burroughs), backup goalie (Halak), or warm bodies (Hunt, Chiasson, Bailey, etc.) around the trade deadline, we may be able to help you, though.

with how shitty Geo was playing early on, I would have said we’d be all over Halak or Greiss by the TDL. But since shesty busted his knee and Geo got more of a heavy work load and more minutes, he’s played pretty well.
He drives you crazy because this is the 2nd time he’s done this while being a ranger. He was excellent when filling in and taking the starter role for an injured Lundqvist too.
When he gets a starters minutes, he’ll spot 40 shots, make 5-6 really really good saves, short memory when he lets in a goal etc. just solid.
The second he goes back in the true back up role and only plays every 4th/5th game and have 6-8 days off, he’s a sieve. He cannot handle a true back up role. He’s incapable of it. Feast or famine.
He needs to go somewhere and be a starter or to a team where Its like a 60-40 1A/1B split type of deal.
It’s so freaking annoying.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
It’s not that Schneider can’t currently play in the NHL. I’m sure he can break in on 3rd pair tomorrow if needed. The rangers just happen to have an embarrassment of riches at RD currently, so there’s no need to rush him.
I’ll say it again since you obviously don’t know how to read.
Schneider had a very good camp. With Kravtsov leaving and Nils coming over, it wasn’t a big surprise to see Schneider in the AHL this season.
I also never once said he’s as good, or will be as good as Pronger.
I said, that’s the style of play Schneider plays for the Schneider/Pronger comparison.
Saying Schneider will be a clone of Pronger at this stage is almost as silly as thinking Hoglander will return Schneider in a trade.
I’m happy for Hogs that he made Vancouver and I’d playing well. The fact of life is, finding a Defenseman with the skill set Schneider has, is a lot harder to find in the draft then a smaller Middle 6 40-50 pt fwd.
If you can’t understand or comprehend either point I just re wrote again, I can’t help you.
Your argument that Hoglander has more value then Schneider solely because his playing in the NHL currently, is also clown shoes.
Quick, Trade Hoglander for Sanderson or Power before they make their debut and offset the value.
hogs got his opportunity because there was a spot available on a worse team without too much competition from other prospects.
Schneider was the youngest kid battling for 1 3rd pair spot on RD behind fox ( Norris winner) and Trouba ( savage for the last year and change)
Lundkvist who set records against men in the SHL and Jones who was excellent and plays both sides.
DEPTH is the only reason Schneider is getting a full year in the A. No need to rush him.
Again, he’s impressed at every level so far, they won’t likely stash him in the A for another season.
Did you see the contracts that Big Mobile Defenseman that hit like a truck and contribute offensively, signed this offseason???
I have Zero concerns about Schneider being a solid Top 4 D in the NHL for a very long time. Most who have actually watched him fans/scouts/ whoever agree.
He’ll break in on 3rd pair to start the year. Then depending on how things go and if Trouba waives him NMC a bit early, Schneider will step in.

the dumbest part of your post is now you write how Draft position makes no difference at all, but in your previous post you were saying Schneider has less value because he was drafted 19OA behind other D.
Then in this post you go on to say that draft position is irrelevant, it’s all about NHL play. Hogs has some games as a top 9 fwd already so his value is superior........
Pick an argument and stick to it......
You think whoever get the 1st pick will trade Wright for Hoglander? Cause wrights not in the NHL yet, hogs is far more valuable....
Maybe Owen Power?? Sanderson.... I can’t go on and on. You see how dumb that is?

where your taken in the Draft is basically what all teams scouts/GMs/FO people thing of your skills/size/smarts/mobility/speed/physicality etc etc and the possible future impact you’ll make with the team if they take you with their pick. What’s your ceiling/floor as an NHL player??
That’s all. And teams still get it wrong a lot.
There are always players taken later that impress or are late bloomers or for whatever reasons were just passed over.
Hogs likely also goes higher in a redraft imo. But him playing some NHL games before Schneider makes his full time Debut doesn’t mean he has more value around the league or will be the better player.
There’s a chance. And maybe a chance Schneider flops? As a betting man, I wouldn’t put money on either of those outcomes.
I’d wager SchneiderVsHoglander s value to most NHL teams is consistent.
They know who they rather have right now imo. What each players ceiling is if each hits it. What overall skill/size package and position is harder to find, again, I can go on and on........
I’m going to stop because this might be too much for you to read. I don’t want you to get overwhelmed...
and I don’t want to sound like I’m running down Hoglander either. I Think he’ll be a solid middle 6 fwd for a long time in the NHL.
Again, you pretty much state why he will be a trade chip available regardless of fans opinion. It comes down to depth and obviously they have a good thing over in NY. RHD will be what you trade but it won’t be Fox or Trouba. Nils occupies the other RHD spot and he will be on one of the two PP units going forward. Schneider will be a trade chip for Offence to improve the overall balance of the team and Rangers will get a good return for him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

I like Guhle so I'm going to ignore that for now and just talk about the Pronger/Schneider part. The poster is talking about the role Schneider will have with the team. The poster is not claiming Schneider is the next Pronger. So drop it already. Adding a laugh at the end doesn't make it funny.

Schneider is a 2020 draft pick who turned 20 a few months ago. Trying to downplay value because he's not in the NHL is simply ridiculous. If you don't think the value is close, that's fair, and you can value Hoglander more, but a winger being almost a full year older, already playing in the NHL shouldn't be used against Schneider in any value argument.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
with how shitty Geo was playing early on, I would have said we’d be all over Halak or Greiss by the TDL. But since shesty busted his knee and Geo got more of a heavy work load and more minutes, he’s played pretty well.
He drives you crazy because this is the 2nd time he’s done this while being a ranger. He was excellent when filling in and taking the starter role for an injured Lundqvist too.
When he gets a starters minutes, he’ll spot 40 shots, make 5-6 really really good saves, short memory when he lets in a goal etc. just solid.
The second he goes back in the true back up role and only plays every 4th/5th game and have 6-8 days off, he’s a sieve. He cannot handle a true back up role. He’s incapable of it. Feast or famine.
He needs to go somewhere and be a starter or to a team where Its like a 60-40 1A/1B split type of deal.
It’s so freaking annoying.
I mean, I’d be willing to swap Halak for him if the can’t get anything better than like a 5th for him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Again, you pretty much state why he will be a trade chip available regardless of fans opinion. It comes down to depth and obviously they have a good thing over in NY. RHD will be what you trade but it won’t be Fox or Trouba. Nils occupies the other RHD spot and he will be on one of the two PP units going forward. Schneider will be a trade chip for Offence to improve the overall balance of the team and Rangers will get a good return for him.

called for bs

Schneider will not be dealt.
Fox obv not going but Trouba may go early and if not Schneid is then our 3RD until no later than 2 seasons after this we Trouba's nmc expires or downgrades and we can move his $$$$. We may be able to bribe him to be moved earlier depending on a number of factors.

If we keep KAM and that is not set in stone, we are looking at
Nils playing either side sliding over
lefty Jones ditto staying at LD
Robertson
and selling high on Lindgren as options

we are not giving younger Schneider away
Trouba most likely will go, if possible sooner than later

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I mean, I’d be willing to swap Halak for him if the can’t get anything better than like a 5th for him.
I think they’ll keep him for the rest of the season just in case Shestys knee acts up again.
He’s played a lot better with the consistent workload. They’ll likely cut bait with him in the offseason IMO. Highly unlikely they give him a QA raise, he’s almost making 3 mill a year as it is.
For the rest of this year, it’s basically they rather deal with the devil they know then bringing in someone who might not be able to handle a full starters job in case of injury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad