Value of: Nikita Zadorov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
People are going to be shocked by how much better Zadorov got under Sutter. When he came here he was a toolsy big defenseman who made huge mistakes. He's now a legit top 4 D who skates at an elite level and blows people up. He scored 14 goals last season at ES. 2nd in the league and people talk like he's a 3rd pairing guy. He isn't. He should be playing ahead of Tanev, Weegar AND Andersson right now. It's why he requested a trade. Hanifin is the only Flame who has been better this season.

He'll go for a 1st+. Just wait and see. NHL GMs are smarter than this group of posters.

People are going to be shocked by how much better Zadorov got under Sutter. When he came here he was a toolsy big defenseman. He's not a legit top 4 D who skates at an elite level and blows people up. He scored 14 goals last season at ES. 2nd in the league and people talk like he's a 3rd pairing guy. He isn't. He should be playing ahead of Tanev, Weegar AND Andersson right now. It's why he requested a trade. Hanifin is the only Flame who has been better this season.

He'll go for a 1st+. Just wait and see. NHL GMs are smarter than this group of posters
My brain is telling me I should like this post twice.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Zadorov is the 20th ranked D-man in hits this season at 26.
So you figure a hit in Calgary is the same as a hit in LA? They aren't the same thing. Zadorov destroys people. So does Trouba. He absolutely is one of the 2 most physical defensemen in the league. Robyn Regeher never finished top 50 in hits. He was always one of the most physical D in the league.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This isn't hard.
1. Comparable players in same position yielded similar.
2. It's a sellers market right now with servral trams needing help on the back end including Toronto Edmonton and Pittsburgh
3. He would be a top 4 on any of those mentioned teams .
4. Waiting put means nothing more then wanting off a poor trams so.he can win .
The only way its less than a 2md if there is a dandy add on like a good prospect .
NHLFAN10506 did some great work this @CapFriendly:

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
So you figure a hit in Calgary is the same as a hit in LA? They aren't the same thing. Zadorov destroys people. So does Trouba. He absolutely is one of the 2 most physical defensemen in the league. Robyn Regeher never finished top 50 in hits. He was always one of the most physical D in the league.
Just curious. What’s the difference in hits in Calgary and hits in LA?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No - I am disputing the notion that "Zadorov is either the most physical or 2nd most physical defenseman in the league. It's him or Trouba beyond any doubt" - above my comment.
20th most hits in the league while playing the 5th most minutes on his TEAM. Not to mention that I’m more talking about the quality of hits. He annihilates someone every other game.

lol is all I can say.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
D are in demand right now. Lots of teams have established a need to improve on the back end ...and quickly
His value is more than either of those more in line with Jake McCabe even possibly chariot. Not.much below.
Bid wars will drive the price higher.
D have been in demand for the past 5+ yrs. I don't think anything is different in this moment.

Jake McCabe's value was in the contract and there were multiple other moving parts so it's hard to say what his return was.

Chariot was Montreal's no. 1 dman at the time, him or Petry but he played the most mins. I think that was universally known to be a terrible trade at the time. And when you look at how teams have been willing to move 1st and 2nd rounder lately it doesn't really happen for 5th dmen. Even if they might be able to play top 4 in a pinch.

Gost is the best comparable I have found so far? Even he was crushing way more minutes and putting up a lot of points.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Some rinks are more generous in awarding hits than others. As someone that had Lucic in a deep fantasy league, I couldn't tell you how many hits weren't counted in home games for him, it was ridiculous.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Right now flames ask probably start right now with a 1st but i dont thing anybody will pay that price and we will wait until TDL to see him anything happening here.

Brendon Dillon when he was traded to washington couple of years ago is a name who come in my mind for Zadorov comparable

He had been traded for a 2nd and a 3rd but the market for D was pretty poor
Dillon is not a bad shout actually. Love to find some more though.

You know what is a decent comparable from 2021...Zadorov. Acquired by Calgary for a 3rd.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I've said it before. There will be a lot of shocked posters here when Zadorov goes for a 1st+. There will be shocked Flames fans when Tanev goes for a 3rd or less.
No way he brings a first, over payment!

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Dillon is not a bad shout actually. Love to find some more though.

You know what is a decent comparable from 2021...Zadorov. Acquired by Calgary for a 3rd.

During regular season some team are more desesperate so price can grow up but yeah

its also pretty similar to luke schenn last season . Hes a better skater but thats it...

Reactions: Johnsie19

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
From what I've heard/looked into:

Each rink has its own statistics staff, and its been long since documented that you practically have to kill someone for it to be registered hit at the Saddledome. Maybe because the stats guys grew up around 'Berta hockey and are desensitized to routine body contact.

But he doesnt register any more hits on the road than he does at home so I'm not sure it gets the point across. Zadorov averages about 2-3 hits per game according to the NHL.

He is obviously very physical but arguing from the other side I'd say hes 20th in hits. Simple stat.

He isnt going to return the boatload you think he is - expect a Toffoli-like return.

Reactions: shortfuze

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
D have been in demand for the past 5+ yrs. I don't think anything is different in this moment.

Jake McCabe's value was in the contract and there were multiple other moving parts so it's hard to say what his return was.

Chariot was Montreal's no. 1 dman at the time, him or Petry but he played the most mins. I think that was universally known to be a terrible trade at the time. And when you look at how teams have been willing to move 1st and 2nd rounder lately it doesn't really happen for 5th dmen. Even if they might be able to play top 4 in a pinch.

Gost is the best comparable I have found so far? Even he was crushing way more minutes and putting up a lot of points.
It's incredibly easy to understand McCabe value . They are similar players in almost every aspect. Free agent or not , the opportunity to adjust and negotiate their own deal that suits the team best is big bonus. Lafferty real world at that time was a 3rd or so. Do the math and the return Calgary will fetch will be similar .

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
That you compared Gostisbehere and Klingberg to Zadorov kind of says everything about your post. Zadorov is either the most physical or 2nd most physical defenseman in the league. It's him or Trouba beyond any doubt. He also finished 2nd in ES goal scoring last season and has been very good defensively even with guys like Desimone, Gilbert and Oesterle as his partners. He's an elite skater. He's 6'6" 250 pounds.

You're comparing his value to guys who wouldn't be waiver claims. Completely stupid post.
I’m 100% with you on Zadorov. He is a difference maker for any team because of his presence. People just don’t watch anymore. I swear they continue to prove it, thinking players are the same players they were years ago.

You lost me on the Gostisbehere comment though. He’s been great the last two years after finding his game in Arizona. He not only would be claimed on waivers, he’d likely get a 2nd all day long, if he was traded right now. 12 points in 16 games and he’s doing it 5 on 5 too. He was one of the best players on the ice in Sweden, against Ottawa Thursday. It’s ended up one of the best UFA signings from the summer.

Reactions: Conbon

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I’m 100% with you on Zadorov. He is a difference maker for any team because of his presence. People just don’t watch anymore. I swear they continue to prove it, thinking players are the same players they were years ago.

You lost me on the Gostisbehere comment though. He’s been great the last two years after finding his game in Arizona. He not only would be claimed on waivers, he’d likely get a 2nd all day long, if he was traded right now. 12 points in 16 games and he’s doing it 5 on 5 too. He was one of the best players on the ice in Sweden, against Ottawa Thursday. It’s ended up one of the best UFA signings from the summer.
To be fair I have only watched Gostisbehere for one game this season. I've always found his defensive game to be extremely lacking. He does have some offensive punch, but I don't think you win with defensemen like that leading the way. It's fine if they are on the bottom pairing. Just ask the Oilers how guys like Bouchard or Barrie fair as top 4 guys.

Reactions: Petes2424

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Kulikov got a third
Domi got a 2nd +
Bertuzzi got a conditional 1st
Granlund got a 2nd rounder
Eller got a 2nd
McCabe got a first
Jeanot got like 6 picks

None of those players are as good as Zadorov and that was in a MUCH deeper draft
Hmm, my guess is that it will be something akin to the value of a low first and a one year cap dump for Zadorov.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
It's incredibly easy to understand McCabe value . They are similar players in almost every aspect. Free agent or not , the opportunity to adjust and negotiate their own deal that suits the team best is big bonus. Lafferty real world at that time was a 3rd or so. Do the math and the return Calgary will fetch will be similar .
The reason it's difficult to judge is because he was retained on AND he had 2+ yrs left on his contract. It was like buying extra cap space. You could spitball that that retention is worth a 2nd+.

Don't know either prospect in the deal, I assume theyre 5ths
So then you have

McCabe + 2 2nds (a 2nd for retention each yr) + Lafferty (3rd)
for
1st, 2nd

That puts McCabes value somewhere around
McCabe + 2nd (maybe plus prospect for a 1st

So hard to say what that is for Zadorov

Between 2nd + prospect and 3rd

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The reason it's difficult to judge is because he was retained on AND he had 2+ yrs left on his contract. It was like buying extra cap space. You could spitball that that retention is worth a 2nd+.

Don't know either prospect in the deal, I assume theyre 5ths
So then you have

McCabe + 2 2nds (a 2nd for retention each yr) + Lafferty (3rd)
for
1st, 2nd

That puts McCabes value somewhere around
McCabe + 2nd (maybe plus prospect for a 1st

So hard to say what that is for Zadorov

Between 2nd + prospect and 3rd
Your overthinking something very simple.
On paper one for.one they are very very similar. One could say McCabe did have a hair more value last year but this year it's the opposite. McCabe brought back 2x 2nds which equals a low first. The ability to see how Z fits in , is a bonus yoir are not seeing . He would bring back a low first with 30 to 50 retention.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
To be fair I have only watched Gostisbehere for one game this season. I've always found his defensive game to be extremely lacking. He does have some offensive punch, but I don't think you win with defensemen like that leading the way. It's fine if they are on the bottom pairing. Just ask the Oilers how guys like Bouchard or Barrie fair as top 4 guys.
In today’s game, you have to have 2-3 guys who can transport the puck though. In my time we were still living in “the boards are your best friend” days, and would end up scratched for transporting the puck, but these guys really have become weapons now. I blame the roller influence on the game, but it’s turned into an exciting part of the game.

So you really do need guys like Ghost to play that role, just as I still believe you need a player like Zadorov in your lineup. Look at some of those guys Tampa had, and even Vegas with McNabb and Hague, who can intimidate some. Don’t really value one over the other by much. Neither are gonna carry a pair 20+ minutes a night in the playoffs, but really do play a pretty big role these days.

As for pure value, if you assume you already have two dmen who can carry a pair, most of the time they can also transport the puck, so I’d value a guy like Zadorov a little more because we don’t have too many intimidating players left. If a team thinks he’s gonna come in and carry a pair though, they’ll be disappointed.

As it effects the Leafs, they need more than Zadorov on the back end but maybe he’s the best they can afford. Still think they’re going to have to overpay to land him, because of the retention. Although with the Klingberg speculation, maybe not.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
In today’s game, you have to have 2-3 guys who can transport the puck though. In my time we were still living in “the boards are your best friend” days, and would end up scratched for transporting the puck, but these guys really have become weapons now. I blame the roller influence on the game, but it’s turned into an exciting part of the game.

So you really do need guys like Ghost to play that role, just as I still believe you need a player like Zadorov in your lineup. Look at some of those guys Tampa had, and even Vegas with McNabb and Hague, who can intimidate some. Don’t really value one over the other by much. Neither are gonna carry a pair 20+ minutes a night in the playoffs, but really do play a pretty big role these days.

As for pure value, if you assume you already have two dmen who can carry a pair, most of the time they can also transport the puck, so I’d value a guy like Zadorov a little more because we don’t have too many intimidating players left. If a team thinks he’s gonna come in and carry a pair though, they’ll be disappointed.

As it effects the Leafs, they need more than Zadorov on the back end but maybe he’s the best they can afford. Still think they’re going to have to overpay to land him, because of the retention. Although with the Klingberg speculation, maybe not.
Every single D man for every cup championship team since the 1996 Avalanche have had no defensemen who were a liability in their own end. I don't deny you need puck movers, but if you want to win those guys had better defend. You don't win with guys like Gostisbehere, Bouchard, MAB ect playing for you. Ozolinsh was the last guy like that who won a cup in 1996 and he had guys like Foote, Klemm, Duchene ect to insulate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad