Nikita Kucherov is the clear favorite for the Art Ross Trophy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Just don't think Mcdavid can catch Kuch. 9 points is a lot to make up

McDavid is back 9 points with 4 games in hand.

His current season pace will get him to 7 points in those 4 games.

How else do I put this…

Average McDavid is 2 points back.

If McDavid matches his past 4 game production with in next 4, he is 0 points back.

He should easily be the betting favorite for the Art Ross + Hart Trophy.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

How else do I put this…

If McDavid matches his past 4 game production with in next 4, he is 0 points back.

If McDavid matches his last 39 games, hes 1 point back.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just don't think Mcdavid can catch Kuch. 9 points is a lot to make up
It's not really 9 points though as McDavid has 4 games in hand.

Kuch in his last 4 games has 9 points so before that when both teams had played 57 games they were tied.

Of course McDavid has to keep pace ect... but realistically the Art Ross is McDavids to lose at this point IMO.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Well, it seems many have come back around after a few months of doubting his comeback.

Incredible what this player has accomplished, yet still gets so much pushback and immediate doubt the very second he isn’t absolutely crushing it.

Yet others are given every benefit of the doubt when they never even proved it.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023

How else do I put this…

It's shocking to me he has a shot because this is honestly the "worst" offensively he has looked since his rookie year. Something is up with him.

This is not even close to the "usual" McDavid we have seen the past few years

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It's shocking to me he has a shot because this is honestly the "worst" offensively he has looked since his rookie year. Something is up with him.

This is not even close to the "usual" McDavid we have seen the past few years
Last year he decided to break 150 points, this year it's 100 assists. Anyone want to bet that he does nothing but score goals next season?

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
One thing I really respect from Kuch

He scores 60% of his goals right now against playoff teams (23 goals)

Matthews is having a great year and scores about 24% of his goals against playoff teams (17 goals)

That is all that matters when the games all get tough

Last edited:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Last year he decided to break 150 points, this year it's 100 assists. Anyone want to bet that he does nothing but score goals next season?
I'd say last year was the season the focused on mainly scoring goals, hence getting to 64 when he hadn't even reached 50 before. I doubt that he goes for it again. He probably will up his goalscoring to his usual levels though.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
That would likely mean he'd have to let go of the 1.0+ apg career avg that he's just about to reach. Unless, of course, he unlocks another level in his game and goes for something like 80 goals and 100 assists. That'd be a better season Gretzky ever had considering this is modern hockey.

I guess something like that could conceivably be within reach if the Oilers harnessed the whole team for that singular goal, lol. TBH I feel dumber by every post I make in these threads, a grown man hyping up another grown man to score some points in a game. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Homesick

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Well, it seems many have come back around after a few months of doubting his comeback.

Incredible what this player has accomplished, yet still gets so much pushback and immediate doubt the very second he isn’t absolutely crushing it.

Like who?

People wrote Matthews off last year
People wrote MacKinnon off as being "definitely worst than Makar" couple years ago
People are always writing Kucherov off, and undervaluing him
And let's not get started on Draisaitl.

People just have very short memories. I agree it was stupid for everyone to write Oilers and McDavid off back in November, but it's not like the same thing doesn't also happen to other top players.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As of today:

Kucherov is on pace for 139 points and 51 goals in 81 games
MacKinnon is on pace for 134 points and 48 goals in 82 games
McDavid is on pace for 137 points and 105 assists in 80 games
Matthews is on pace for 109 points and 74 goals in 81 games

For the Hart:

2 points in his last 3 games, and only 1 goal, is hurting Matthews. To win the Hart trophy - he needs to reduce the point gap at the top. 30 points back, and below 75 goals? I think that's going to be too much. He needs to top 75 goals and get within ~20 points ideally to maximize his chances

Kucherov and McDavid rolling along. Kucherov still in the lead, and still pacing for super close to 140 points and over 50 goals. McDavid right in his rear view mirror, pacing for well above 100 assists, and within 2 of being able to win a Ross.

MacKinnon falling back ever so slightly in the race for now, but still very close and within striking distance.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
My post wasn't an opportunity to revisit the over the top hyperbole of the DPE.

There is no reason to think that Jagr is any more dominant than he was in any other era. Ironically, by focusing on the obstruction in the DPE, you can argue that big players like Jagr and Lindros thrived more than they would in others eras like the current NHL where size isn't as important.
Jagr wasn't just some big strong slug, man powered by people like they weren't there.
He would've absolutely had more points in todays NHL than in 1998, for example.

Reactions: Atrusai

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid's been 2ppg since Jan 1, I think he's going to break 140 and win the Ross. Still won't win the Hart though

McDavid had 153 points last year. If McDavid does 140 points, and Kucherov....139? I'd agree Kucherov has the edge on hart, voters will likely want to see a bit of a gap for McDavid to win hart (Matthews remains an x-factor too with his goals).

One surefire way to win the Hart this year for McDavid is to match last year's 153 points. Difference would be - he'd have come from such a huge gap behind to match last year's point totals, it would be an incredible performance and surely land him the hart.

To hit 153 points - McDavid needs 59 points in remaining 25 games. Or a pace of 2.36 points per game.

As far as I can tell, he's never averaged as high as 2.36 points per game over a 25 game stretch in his career. I see a few stretches of ~2.1+ ppg over ~20-22 games, even one stretch of 2.2ppg over 20 games last year, but never 2.36. It's not impossible - but it would have to be the absolute most productive stretch of his career to do so.

In his past 14 games - he is currently averaging 2.43 points per game. So - if he can stretch that pace out for another 25 games, he'd actually surpass 153 points from last year and hit 155.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Are you McDavid's MJ here?

Sure sounds like it sometimes and that's a shame since your posts generally are much more intelligent than that.

McDavid and the Oilers were a hot mess earlier this season so it's natural that some hockey fans might have seen the huge gap in points and been doubt full.

Frankly how he fares in the Art Ross race is something I doubt he even cares about it's going farther in the playoffs that's on his mind..

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Jagr wasn't just some big strong slug, man powered by people like they weren't there.
He would've absolutely had more points in todays NHL than in 1998, for example.
Jagr was great but when anyone uses the term "absolutely" then they usually haven't thought everything out.

The poster you were quoting had a point Jagr because of his body and playing style wasn't hurt as much as a smaller play in the low scoring clutch and grab late 90s when the puck wasn't actually dead.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
1. Are you McDavid's MJ here?

2. Frankly how he fares in the Art Ross race is something I doubt he even cares about it's going farther in the playoffs that's on his mind..

1. That made me chuckle. It’s also a useful self-awareness check.

2. I’m sure he has the mental capacity for both. You don’t think he knows what a 6th Art Ross means? Or wants to give up his three year run with it? If he didn’t care, he would have packed it in and not be in striking distance.

Contrary to what we’ve been conditioned to lately, a hockey player doesn’t need to stop winning individual hardware to win the Cup.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1. That made me chuckle. It’s also a useful self-awareness check.

2. I’m sure he has the mental capacity for both. You don’t think he knows what a 6th Art Ross means? Or wants to give up his three year run with it? If he didn’t care, he would have packed it in and not be in striking distance.

Contrary to what we’ve been conditioned to lately, a hockey player doesn’t need to stop winning individual hardware to win the Cup.
I woke up with my shitdisturber Larry David attitude...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad