Confirmed with Link: Nicolas Deslauriers contract with Flyers, 4 x 1.75AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Lol this guy is going to be here longer than Nolan Patrick was here. Remember when they signed him on the first day of free agency?

Reactions: Tripod

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
In hockey terms you could call him a loser based on the fact he's played 5 total playoff games at the age of 31, and lost 4 of them. Or because he only averages 14 points per 82 games in his NHL career. Or because he happily signed a deal with one of the league's worst teams. Or because he's been rated as one of the very worst skaters in the entire league by statistical models.

In average human terms he's making out like a bandit financially compared to the average stiff. Of course, there may be a price to pay down the line from all the head trauma.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
In hockey terms you could call him a loser based on the fact he's played 5 total playoff games at the age of 31, and lost 4 of them. Or because he only averages 14 points per 82 games in his NHL career. Or because he happily signed a deal with one of the league's worst teams. Or because he's been rated as one of the very worst skaters in the entire league by statistical models.

In average human terms he's making out like a bandit financially compared to the average stiff. Of course, there may be a price to pay down the line from all the head trauma.
Not sure how Any guy who carves out a long NHL career can one call a loser.

Reactions: HabsQC

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

Now that you put it like that, the deal makes a whole lot of sense. Just knowing that Reaves, Johnston, Martin and Wilson are spending sleepless summer nights worrying about breaking their hands on this clown’s face is comfort enough for me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not just fan favorite, but responsible, young, affordable, and useful!
Well, not really. $3M isn't cheap for a 4LW, at least until they moved JVR - Cates clearly out played Lindblom when he arrived.
The question is whether Lindblom will ever come close to his pre-cancer level of play.
I would have kept him, but it's not a slam dunk (and then you have to extend him next season).

We don't know what the medical staff have observed (they'd have data on strength, oxygen uptake, etc).
He may well be damaged goods.

I have no problem signing Deslauriers as a veteran cog in a transition to Torts, Ratcliffe and Desnoyers are a year away, Lycksell is still an unknown, the other bottom six forwards are mostly RH. Establishing team culture does matter (not fighting, but finishing checks, blocking shots, being physical).
I do have a problem giving 4 years, if that was the cost, there were other options for that role.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Lol I remember when TK was a 4th liner because Hakstol The Infallible said he was and then suddenly, overnight, he transformed into a 1st liner.
He was benched... so the coach was the reason he found his true gear! If he wouldnt be benched he would never ever play to that lvl.... same with other players back in these days. I remember the good old Hakstok defenders. Benching is the best development i learned back then.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
He was benched... so the coach was the reason he found his true gear! If he wouldnt be benched he would never ever play to that lvl.... same with other players back in these days. I remember the good old Hakstok defenders. Benching is the best development i learned back then.
"Watching from the press box for a few games is the best form of development"

- Dave Hakstol probably

• Love
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
"Watching from the press box for a few games is the best form of development"

- Dave Hakstol probably
IMG_20171001_201916.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is the night that should finally, permanently kill the fiction that enforcers and tough guys matter in the slightest in 2023. Toughness for its own sake is useless. Ottawa was lining up to go after Deslauriers. Zero fear. He hasn't don't a single thing to protect anyone, because he can't. Nobody can.

Shit heap signing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This is the night that should finally, permanently kill the fiction that enforcers and tough guys matter in the slightest in 2023. Toughness for its own sake is useless. Ottawa was lining up to go after Deslauriers. Zero fear. He hasn't don't a single thing to protect anyone, because he can't. Nobody can.

Shit heap signing.
Losing 2-1 when fight happened
Outscored Ottawa 3-2 post fight(regulation)

Turned the game around.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom is a 4th line LW like TK was a 3rd liner for years.

Pure idiocy.
By whom.

73g 10:34 a night 6-8 14 ES, CF 44.39%, xGF 43.98%, 1.24 pp/60
Deslauriers
72g 10:08 a night, 4-6 10 ES, CF 44.48%, xGF 45.23%, 0.91 pp/60

Lindblom simply isn't the player he was before cancer when he was becoming a solid 2LW.

If he becomes available, I'd give him a veteran minimum contract and see if there's any improvement another year past cancer, but until proven otherwise, he's at best a replacement level player right now.

Deslauriers was an overpay, but eat $500K and there will be a market, only one year left on the NTC.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I still cant get over the concept of this signing. This is the type of player you give league minimum to. Not double that and a NTC.
This is the type of player only the worst teams would give league minimum to.

Giving him a cent more than that is something only a gutter-trash laughing stock would do.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah, i don't buy the fear thing. I appreciate the role and do think it belongs in hockey. The role is different now especially with every single little clean hit causing a fight/response. His contract is bloated and just another example of failure by Fletcher.

If team toughness is your goal and being hard to play against...i dont know i guess when you have Deslauries throwing 3/4 checks a shift it probably causes disturbance...that's more important then the fighting but what is the impact of those 3/4 checks a shift...does it slow the other team down or does it result in more chances...someone probably has the fancy stat available to show the results of the next shift after deslauries'.

With that said, I do enjoy watching him punch people in the face.

I think a healthy compromise for all of us would be to have Deslaurier spend his time punching himself in the face, in the press box.

All the goonery, none of the on ice impact. Compromise!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, i don't buy the fear thing. I appreciate the role and do think it belongs in hockey. The role is different now especially with every single little clean hit causing a fight/response. His contract is bloated and just another example of failure by Fletcher.

If team toughness is your goal and being hard to play against...i dont know i guess when you have Deslauries throwing 3/4 checks a shift it probably causes disturbance...that's more important then the fighting but what is the impact of those 3/4 checks a shift...does it slow the other team down or does it result in more chances...someone probably has the fancy stat available to show the results of the next shift after deslauries'.

With that said, I do enjoy watching him punch people in the face.
Thing is Lemieux can give you the same attributes (ok, he's not as good of a fighter), with some speed and skill.
And he's younger and cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad